Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Micro Stakes (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=71)
-   -   ***uNL Microbrew Thread*** NOV 2007 (ot) (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=535766)

Micro Donk 11-28-2007 11:32 PM

Re: ***uNL Microbrew Thread*** NOV 2007 (ot)

[ QUOTE ]
PJ, haircut = increase winrate/running hot LDO

[/ QUOTE ]

well im gonna grab a haircut right before i leave for TS in mid-late dec, ill test the theory out

derosnec 11-28-2007 11:38 PM

one good thing about when i supposedly "run" bad is that i get to re-examine my game via PT. after doing so i realized that i wasn't stealing much (only like 24%) and i was raising too many hands in EP (so, i had it backwards for most of novemeber).

since then, i adjusted. i think much of the winnings below is from people playing back at me out of frustration. they're not differentiating between when i raise on the button and when i raise in EP. anyways confidence is back. end of longwinded post.

http://img508.imageshack.us/img508/4188/werwerwr8.jpg

PJo336 11-28-2007 11:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
one good thing about when i supposedly "run" bad is that i get to re-examine my game via PT. after doing so i realized that i wasn't stealing much (only like 24%) and i was raising too many hands in EP (so, i had it backwards for most of novemeber).

since then, i adjusted. i think much of the winnings below is from people playing back at me out of frustration. they're not differentiating between when i raise on the button and when i raise in EP. anyways confidence is back. end of longwinded post.

http://img508.imageshack.us/img508/4188/werwerwr8.jpg

[/ QUOTE ]

id agree but i also think there is a limit to it. For example, stealing more just to get ur stats from 28%-30% is all well and good but if it totally alters ur game ur screwed. This happens to me sometimes, but its def about finding a balance on att to steal vs ur vpip/pfr. I dont think 30 is neccessarily the magic number

PJo336 11-28-2007 11:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

thanks for telling me this 6 months ago. I get my hair cut once ev 6 months, u coulda saved me a few 20bi downswings

hey wing, try a haircut?

thing85 11-28-2007 11:46 PM

I find myself 28-32% most sessions and I generally don't have a problem with it. If people start 3-betting me a lot, I move tables. Easy solution. Plenty of tables where people don't realize you steal a lot.

Also, I like to keep track of my stats by table. I may be stealing 30% overall but one table I'm card dead and running really nitty (like 9/9) and another table I'm seemingly LAGy (like 30/27) - both over small samples of course - so I start widening my stealing range on the nitty table, sometimes raising ATC if the blinds are tight and I have a nitty image on the session so far.

When you adjust table by table, I think you can get a pretty high overall att. to steal (~35%) without it really adversely affecting you. Now, if you try to steal 35% on each table, you're probably going to lose money. All about adjusting to your table (which we all know...I think).

derosnec 11-28-2007 11:46 PM

not aiming for a magic #. just that i realized that raising any two is +EV because a) win preflop and b) win flop and c) bet turn or river scare card. at the very least i noticed how many hands i was folding in LP and how many i was raising in EP. had it backwards.

Micro Donk 11-28-2007 11:46 PM

i seem to be folding a lot more in the SB and the button then i used to, my steal blinds % is still like 43. but i am 35/25 in the SB...bit loose?

thing85 11-28-2007 11:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

thanks for telling me this 6 months ago. I get my hair cut once ev 6 months, u coulda saved me a few 20bi downswings

hey wing, try a haircut?

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry man, I had no idea you had long hair. Could've saved you a ton.

Edit: I get a haircut once a month usually a few days after the month starts. That's probably why I always start off with a mini-downswing.

PJo336 11-28-2007 11:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
not aiming for a magic #. just that i realized that raising any two is +EV because a) win preflop and b) win flop and c) bet turn or river scare card. at the very least i noticed how many hands i was folding in LP and how many i was raising in EP. had it backwards.

[/ QUOTE ]
i didnt say u were, i just think some people (myself once included) see they are lower than most and start raising random hands without a set range and just adding a few hands to that range. luckily i got mahh range down

PJo336 11-28-2007 11:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

hey wing, try a haircut?

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry man, I had no idea you had long hair. Could've saved you a ton.

Edit: I get a haircut once a month usually a few days after the month starts. That's probably why I always start off with a mini-downswing.

[/ QUOTE ]

once a month seems wise, but i always look like a douche the first week or so after a cut, so i like to limit the amount of times i face that lololol

derosnec 11-28-2007 11:52 PM

why the hell did i get a root canal and fillings recently? my teeth didn't hurt one bit. but dentist said i needed them. now my teeth hurt.

Micro Donk 11-28-2007 11:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
why the hell did i get a root canal and fillings recently? my teeth didn't hurt one bit. but dentist said i needed them. now my teeth hurt.

[/ QUOTE ]

http://www.seered.co.uk/dentist.jpg

derosnec 11-28-2007 11:53 PM

yup, even with insurance, it's expensive (the caps at least).

PJo336 11-28-2007 11:54 PM

man u just reminded me i havent been to the dentist since fresh year (im a jr)

crap crap crap

derosnec 11-28-2007 11:55 PM

also, since i've turned this thread into my blog, why is it when i win i don't have motivation to play. but if i had lost $$ today, i'd be 96 tabling until 5 am to get back to even. the human mind, man. it's [censored] up.

PJo336 11-28-2007 11:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i seem to be folding a lot more in the SB and the button then i used to, my steal blinds % is still like 43. but i am 35/25 in the SB...bit loose?

[/ QUOTE ]

im 23/13 in sb, so either ur too loose or im too tight

derosnec 11-28-2007 11:58 PM

i'm also like you: 22/14 in sb.

Micro Donk 11-28-2007 11:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

im 23/13 in sb, so either ur too loose or im too tight

[/ QUOTE ]

im not playing total crap there but im raising a somewhat wide range. i think im looser there then most

and im only 27/25 on the button, and relatively tighter in CO, dunno why it stays at 43% or so. but as long as it works...

thing85 11-29-2007 12:01 AM

[ QUOTE ]
also, since i've turned this thread into my blog, why is it when i win i don't have motivation to play. but if i had lost $$ today, i'd be 96 tabling until 5 am to get back to even. the human mind, man. it's [censored] up.

[/ QUOTE ]

Standard. I find when I'm up a decent amount, I like to "quit while I'm ahead" and when I'm down, I keep playing. Obviously this is the opposite of what you want because when you're up, you're more likely playing better/sitting with fish (although not always). When you're down, you might be playing bad/spewing/tilting, so playing more may make things worse.

I find it effective to give myself a target # of hands before each session so that I don't stop until I reach that #, regardless of how I'm doing. Lately, it's been 1,000.

PJo336 11-29-2007 12:03 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Standard. I find when I'm up a decent amount, I like to "quit while I'm ahead" and when I'm down, I keep playing. Obviously this is the opposite of what you want because when you're up, you're more likely playing better/sitting with fish (although not always). When you're down, you might be playing bad/spewing/tilting, so playing more may make things worse.

I find it effective to give myself a target # of hands before each session so that I don't stop until I reach that #, regardless of how I'm doing. Lately, it's been 1,000.

[/ QUOTE ]
tbh i try not to look at total hands played during the session cuz then i set random numbers and end up staying at lame tables/ leaving good tables

thing85 11-29-2007 12:05 AM

Don't you love it when you don't feel like you've been playing long and then you check your # of hands played and it's much higher than you expected? That's when you know you're enjoying your session.

PJo336 11-29-2007 12:07 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Don't you love it when you don't feel like you've been playing long and then you check your # of hands played and it's much higher than you expected? That's when you know you're enjoying your session.

[/ QUOTE ]
sigh opposite for me, tonight i said "that HAS to have been 1k+"
insta 700

thing85 11-29-2007 12:16 AM

Oh yeah, opposite of what I said is totally true too. Sucks to feel like you've been playing forever only to find...504 hands?!

thing85 11-29-2007 12:16 AM

BTW I love running on a heater over 300 hands and having a sick win rate for the mini-session and then posting it in the brew saying, "OMG SUSTAINABLE?!"

PJo336 11-29-2007 12:17 AM

btw im about 90% convinced if u click the "sit out next hand" button mid hand, u are insta doomswitched for that hand, lost about 40bb in my last 2 hands at 2 diff tables

wudabum 11-29-2007 12:19 AM

[ QUOTE ]
btw im about 90% convinced if u click the "sit out next hand" button mid hand, u are insta doomswitched for that hand, lost about 40bb in my last 2 hands at 2 diff tables

[/ QUOTE ]

i have evidence for that as well...

dawade 11-29-2007 12:19 AM

UGH.

Had a headache all day today and it just came back.

Done playing poker tonight will resume tomorrow.

JimboNYY24 11-29-2007 12:19 AM

[ QUOTE ]
50nl, this month only from one site ( other db has 4k more hands in it w/ similar winrate )

http://img144.imageshack.us/img144/1...howdownyi2.jpg

[/ QUOTE ]

How do you do this? I'm winning pretty decently at 25NL (obv cause I suck slightly less than a donk) and losing money without showdown. I don't really play that nitty either so I guess I must be spewing hard.

bored 11-29-2007 12:20 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Oh yeah, opposite of what I said is totally true too. Sucks to feel like you've been playing forever only to find...504 hands?!

[/ QUOTE ]

This works with $ won/lost as well. Today I thought I was up a couple BI and then lost a BI or 2 so I thought I was slightly up... Nope, -1BI. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

Bantam222 11-29-2007 12:22 AM

When I play I have i have PT open in the background and positioned at the bottom so the stats row is at the very bottom and i have tables on top of that so it doesn't take up any room but i can see how much i am up/down, how many hands iv placed and how loose im playing..

fozzy71 11-29-2007 12:30 AM

My realtime window keeps count of hands played during the session, and win/loss, bb/100 rate, etc. Sometimes this can be tilt-inducing, I think. I import hands into PT now, after my session. The HUD keeps real-time stats, without having to auto-import hands into PT while playing.

This was especially nice when I played at FT. I data-mined to the HUD, and only imported played hands into my non-SQL PT DB. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

whyzze 11-29-2007 12:38 AM

if you want to play solid poker. Try not looking at your results for a week. Just cover it with your hand when you are doing a stats check, or checking your damn ironman points or whatever. I play so much better when i have no idea how +/- I am. Only thing to think about is playing well.

fozzy71 11-29-2007 12:44 AM

Impossibleaments

bored 11-29-2007 12:51 AM

[ QUOTE ]
if you want to play solid poker. Try not looking at your results for a week. Just cover it with your hand when you are doing a stats check, or checking your damn ironman points or whatever. I play so much better when i have no idea how +/- I am. Only thing to think about is playing well.

[/ QUOTE ]

I try to review my sessions after I play and note hands I have questions on.

Bantam222 11-29-2007 01:54 AM

here's something I was thinking about while reading about someone going nearing supernova elite(100k VPPs / year). They were complaining about how its so sick to be losing at 1.5ptbb/100 when they usually beat the game for 5ptbll/100 and it's so hard for them to keep playing but they can't take a break or else they will miss supernova elite missing out on a huge bonus and "waisting" a lot of work.

This made me appreciate how I've been able to play so many hands at the micros and I'm now use to big down swings and long break even stretches and they don't even bother me anymore. I'm so over rolled and I know I can't change it so I don't worry about it.

Most of these highstakes players were able to fly up in stakes through a combination of running good and being good enough to crush the micros so bad a "downswing" might just be winning at 2ptbb/100. They aren't use to running bad because and it's not something one can just get use too. Most players (myself included) started out their roll, grinded it up and busted a few times. We were able to learn this lesson for cheap, as opposed to say running real good, start to play for a living, and then having your first 40k hand month long break even stretch and going crazy.

I hope all these hands and variance I'm able to experience right now at the micros will help me when I move up to higher stakes. I also like playing overrolled to limit this.

So I'm not really sure what the point of this post was but It's just something that came to my mind while browsing the forums. I didn't intend for it to be this long when I started witting it but oh well. I hope it can help some of you or you will be able to relate to it.

limit refugee 11-29-2007 01:56 AM

I think I'll post my stupidest hand of the day, just knowing that it will be recorded on the internet and that the government will have it on secret tapes in some underground bunker for all the CIA to laugh at will hopefully keep me from playing too badly.

Go ahead and scoff Dick Cheney...

Poker Stars, $0.10/$0.25 NL Hold'em Cash Game, 6 Players
LeggoPoker.com - Hand History Converter

Hero (SB): $29.90
BB: $35.75
UTG: $27.40
MP: $21.95
CO: $27.10
BTN: $59.50

Pre-Flop: Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] dealt to Hero (SB)
3 folds, <font color="red">BTN raises to $1</font>, <font color="red">Hero raises to $3</font>, BB folds, BTN calls $2

Flop: ($6.25) 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (2 Players)
Hero checks, BTN checks

Turn: ($6.25) T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (2 Players)
<font color="red">Hero bets $4</font>, BTN calls $4

River: ($14.25) 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] (2 Players)
Hero checks, BTN checks

Results: $14.25 Pot ($0.65 Rake)
Hero showed Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (two pair, Queens and Nines) and WON $13.60 (+$6.60 NET)
BTN mucked K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] and LOST (-$7 NET)

I really don't know how that one happened.

PJo336 11-29-2007 02:05 AM

Button ($26.55)
Hero ($30.35)
BB ($15)
UTG ($25.10)

Preflop: Hero is SB with 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
<font color="#CC3333">UTG raises to $1</font>, Button calls $1, Hero calls $0.90, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>.

Flop: ($3.25) 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG bets $2</font>, Button calls $2, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $4</font>, UTG calls $2, Button folds.

Turn: ($13.15) A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $4</font>, <font color="#CC3333">UTG raises to $9.25</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $25.35 (All-In)</font>, UTG calls $10.85 (All-In).

River: ($58.60) T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players, 2 all-in)</font>

Final Pot: $58.60

UTG has KQo
Hero falls out of chair

........................?

derosnec 11-29-2007 02:32 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Button ($26.55)
Hero ($30.35)
BB ($15)
UTG ($25.10)

Preflop: Hero is SB with 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
<font color="#CC3333">UTG raises to $1</font>, Button calls $1, Hero calls $0.90, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>.

Flop: ($3.25) 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG bets $2</font>, Button calls $2, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $4</font>, UTG calls $2, Button folds.

Turn: ($13.15) A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $4</font>, <font color="#CC3333">UTG raises to $9.25</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $25.35 (All-In)</font>, UTG calls $10.85 (All-In).

River: ($58.60) T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players, 2 all-in)</font>

Final Pot: $58.60

UTG has KQo
Hero falls out of chair

........................?

[/ QUOTE ]

this has inspired me to start a post in the future titled "This is Why we don't bluff big at the micros" with a gazillion hand histories from my PT database where people pay me off with nothing

Micro Donk 11-29-2007 02:33 AM

if i could hit just half of the cards these random 70/30s seem to...

derosnec 11-29-2007 02:34 AM

why is it that every night at midnight (EST) every tag in the universe decides to play on stars? never understood that.