Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Micro Stakes Limit (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   AQo - Too aggressive w top pair (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=254710)

pena 11-07-2006 01:35 PM

AQo - Too aggressive w top pair

Was I too aggressive here? Should I cut down my aggression a little bit?

Opponent:
vpip 23
wtsd 28
pfr 7

Ultimate Bet
Limit Holdem Ring game
Limit: $1./$2
9 players
Converter

Pre-flop: (9 players) Hero is BB with A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
3 folds, MP2 calls <font color="aaaaaa">(1.5:1)</font>, MP3 folds, <font color="#cc0000">CO raises</font>, 2 folds, Hero calls <font color="aaaaaa">(4.5:1)</font>, MP2 calls <font color="aaaaaa">(5.5:1)</font>.

Flop: 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (6.5SB, 3 players)
Hero checks, MP2 checks, <font color="#cc0000">CO bets</font>, <font color="#cc0000">Hero raises</font>, MP2 folds, <font color="#cc0000">CO 3-bets</font>, <font color="#cc0000">Hero caps</font>, CO calls <font color="aaaaaa">(16.5:1)</font>.

Turn: 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (7.25BB, 2 players)
<font color="#cc0000">Hero bets</font>, CO calls <font color="aaaaaa">(8.25:1)</font>.

River: 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (9.25BB, 2 players)
<font color="#cc0000">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#cc0000">CO raises</font>, Hero calls <font color="aaaaaa">(12.25:1)</font>.

Results:
Final pot: 13.25BB
<font color="white">CO shows 7c 7s</font>

kassdog 11-07-2006 01:40 PM

Re: AQo - Too aggressive w top pair

I wouldn't have capped the flop incase you was on a flush draw and then just called down.

Saikkonen 11-07-2006 01:58 PM

Maybe you should even raise preflop to push out MP2 and to see if CO caps the betting. Now we do not have that information.

Flop: You hit it almost perfectly and checkraises. The cap is also ok since he could be on a flushdraw and is trying for a freecard.

Turn: You bet and he only calls. Considering the flopplay it smells a bit like a made flush: He would also have defended against the flush.

River: Check call I guess is right now. My guess is that he has the nutflush but you don't want to give away the big pot to a pure bluff. There is a small chance that he has KQ but I think that is miniscule.

antneye 11-07-2006 02:05 PM

My only real criticism is the river. I think you need to check call here. Villains play confuses me.

jmc999 11-07-2006 02:25 PM

Grunch:
I'm not comfortable capping this flop. Your check raise should be a pretty good indication of strength. Unless you've seen him 3-bet light on the flop, you're either behind or tied right now.

The flush hits on the turn and I'm pretty sure your opponent doesn't think you have it. If he has AdKd or AdJd and was behind on the flop, he just hit.

As played, I check/call the river getting good odds, but I expect to be shown AA/KK/QQ against a good opponent.

Xhad 11-07-2006 02:28 PM

Why would you check/call the river?

Riku 11-07-2006 02:28 PM

Why is check calling better than bet calling ? Why is villainīs play confusing ?
I was thinking to bet call the river.
Also, what do people think betting out on the flop instead ?

NIX 11-07-2006 02:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
My only real criticism is the river. I think you need to check call here. Villains play confuses me.

[/ QUOTE ]
Check/calling the river seems like an odd line to me. Hero capping the flop slowed Villain down. If Hero leads the turn and is raised again, then I can see calling the turn and check/calling the river. Since Hero didn't get raised on the turn, he is either ahead or has scared Villain into slowing down with his KK or something. The river card doesn't change anything really. If Hero was ahead on the turn, he's probably ahead now, so the river is a nice value bet. If Villain was scared with KK on the turn, he would still be scared on the river most likely and just call a bet himself.

The only hands that make sense for Villain to play this way to me are a grossly overplayed 66 on the flop/turn or a flush/full house where Villain is getting tricky. I'd heavily discount those hands when the river hits, so I don't see a reason to not bet it. After getting raised, 3betting the river would be bad in my opinion.

antneye 11-07-2006 02:56 PM

OK. I have been taking a lot of stabs at these and running into resistance...that's good because I am trying to improve my game (about 2BB/100 over 25K). I tend to go turtle on the later streets when faced with resistance and probably lose a lot of value, but we only have top pair here. This guy loves his hand on the flop, he calls the turn when the flush draw hits, and then raises the river? Yes. That has me confused. As far as check calling..I agree that was a bad recomendation. I am probably firing the river again and cringing when he raises me, but I can't fold getting 12:1 so I change my vote to bet/call.

Just read those results....Yes, his play is quite confusing. Never would have guessed that hand.

ckj 11-07-2006 08:31 PM

All I can say is CO is screaming that he likes his hand, top pair is nice, but a set or flush is what i would have expected to see.

I might call it down or I might fold depending on the player. But seeing how agressive he plays a low pocket pair I'd probably lean more towards calling it down