Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Small Stakes Limit (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   MONSTER 2/4: The worst AA I've ever played (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=182274)

XmasXmas 08-09-2006 03:24 AM

MONSTER 2/4: The worst AA I\'ve ever played

Let's see...UTG is a loose passive, and the other villain is pretty typical. I had been limping a lot at the table, and I thought I'd do it with a good hand for once. There were a lot of tags around back that I thought might see a decent little pot developing and try to pop it w/ something like JTs. Turns out I was wrong.

The flop bet felt wrong since I didn't think I'd really get too much action out of non-K hands. I think a check to let people pick up a pair on the turn would have probably been a better play. Thoughts on this?

My main concern is the turn. I didn't know if I could fold to a single raise on the turn so I decided to try to squeeze a little value out of the hand by c/ring if I was good (since not a whole lot could hurt me even if it gets checked through). At the same time, by doing so, I felt that I could fold to a 3-bet safely.

Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (9 handed)

Preflop: Hero is UTG+1 with A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
UTG calls, Hero calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, MP3 calls, CO calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, SB completes, BB checks.

Flop: (6 SB) 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(6 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, UTG checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP3 calls, CO folds, SB calls, BB folds, UTG calls.

Turn: (5 BB) 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, UTG checks, Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP3 bets</font>, SB folds, UTG calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP3 3-bets</font>, UTG calls, Hero folds.

sharpie 08-09-2006 03:47 AM

Re: MONSTER 2/4: The worst AA I\'ve ever played

This is big time FPS. Open limping aces is debatable enough, but overlimping is almost never correct.

Just bet the turn.

XmasXmas 08-09-2006 03:51 AM

[ QUOTE ]
This is big time FPS. Open limping aces is debatable enough, but overlimping is almost never correct.

Just bet the turn.

[/ QUOTE ]

hey, like i said, it's the worst i've ever played. bet the turn, and fold to a raise? or call down?

Oracle 08-09-2006 04:26 AM

Damn. Raise preflop and bet the turn. If you had raised preflop you may not find yourself losing to king rag here.

Haupt_234 08-09-2006 10:29 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I had been limping a lot at the table, and I thought I'd do it with a good hand for once.

[/ QUOTE ]

These 2 are contradicting each other...

If the table was loose/passive, there is no value in LRR aces (not to mention overlimp reraising).

If the table was aggressive, you shouldn't have been limping a lot in the first place...

Haupt_234

TitanFan 08-09-2006 11:22 AM

This looks like classic WA/WB to me, I'd just call the turn and check/call the river

W. Deranged 08-09-2006 11:43 AM

[ QUOTE ]
This looks like classic WA/WB to me, I'd just call the turn and check/call the river

[/ QUOTE ]

I think this is very weak.

We should not be checking this turn. It's really that simple.

Think about it this way:

1. We have too strong a hand to risk letting the turn get checked through and missing a bet.

2. We have too weak a hand to check-raise and commit to putting in two bets on the turn.

Hence, checking for any reason sucks.

So we bet the turn.

P.S. Overlimping AA pre-flop is awful.

JCCARL 08-09-2006 12:36 PM

Your title said it all, Hero raises pre-flop. The pre-flop raise allows you to make easier decisions later in the hand.
No one can play AA perfectly everytime.
Regards,
Carl

TitanFan 08-09-2006 01:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I think this is very weak.

We should not be checking this turn. It's really that simple.

Think about it this way:

1. We have too strong a hand to risk letting the turn get checked through and missing a bet.

2. We have too weak a hand to check-raise and commit to putting in two bets on the turn.

Hence, checking for any reason sucks.

So we bet the turn.

P.S. Overlimping AA pre-flop is awful.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with you sir. I'm just saying . . . given that hero checked the turn and consequently MP3 bet out I think its best to just call (not raise) the turn. Betting out &gt; Calling &gt; C/R on the turn. Then possibly bet/fold the river, or check/call depending on Villains stats (I dont think we have any in this hand. . . and at this point its all hypotetical anyway). Given that MP 3 bet I think the fold is good.