Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   MTT Strategy (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   Another preflop pot odds post (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=521783)

Kimbell175113 10-12-2007 09:17 PM

Another preflop pot odds post

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t300 (9 handed) internettexasholdem.com

MP3 (t2010)
CO (t3010)
Button (t7560)
SB (t805)
Hero (t6140)
UTG (t3280)
UTG+1 (t8280)
MP1 (t3555)
MP2 (t4150)

Preflop: Hero is BB with 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
<font color="#CC3333">UTG raises to t600</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, MP2 calls t600, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, Button calls t600, <font color="#CC3333">SB raises to t780</font>, Hero ???

No one can reraise, and no one will fold, so I'm getting about 7-1. I also don't think being OOP will hurt that much. People will check too much due to the all-in player, and I can take free cards (or open shove on certain flops and get away with ridiculous semibluffs or iso plays).

On the other hand, my hand is pretty awful and I have to beat quite a few opponents, including one who is AI can't be be bluffed.

Rupert 10-12-2007 09:20 PM

Re: Another preflop pot odds post

Tough spot... I think folding is too bad with suited cards and huge pot odds. I guess iso shoving is probably a mistake here so call IMO.

erc007 10-12-2007 10:50 PM

This is such an easy fold...

Kimbell175113 10-12-2007 11:03 PM

erc,

It's funny: if the shortstack had folded, I would be out of there without much thought. But since he didn't, I thought about calling, even though it costs more. The thing that might swing this toward a call (and it's not a sure thing by any means) is that people play sooo bad in side pots. Folding second pair, checking big hands multiway, and a bunch of other little things that I'm sure you've noticed. I think there might be more value here than just from the preflop odds (I should've mentioned that in the thread title.)

erc007 10-12-2007 11:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
erc,

It's funny: if the shortstack had folded, I would be out of there without much thought. But since he didn't, I thought about calling, even though it costs more. The thing that might swing this toward a call (and it's not a sure thing by any means) is that people play sooo bad in side pots. Folding second pair, checking big hands multiway, and a bunch of other little things that I'm sure you've noticed. I think there might be more value here than just from the preflop odds (I should've mentioned that in the thread title.)

[/ QUOTE ]

I understand your points about the attractive odds + the fact that people play badly in dry side pots, but you're OOP with a very marginal hand and no opp to semi-bluff. All things considered, i don't think the postives outweigh the inherent negatives/limitations.

Stumpy 10-13-2007 12:03 AM

Kimbell, on the flip side, it's really hard to get paid off well because of the reasons you gave.

7:1 is not enough to call here, you've got to make more money. And you can't push the all in guy off his hand obviously. I can see your case if it was 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] or something...

ASPoker8 10-13-2007 05:47 AM

If you're competant postflop, i'd call