Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Brick and Mortar (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   Greedy dealer or cheap grinder? (toke involved) (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=190841)

Bishop22 08-19-2006 04:15 AM

Greedy dealer or cheap grinder? (toke involved)

Background: I consider myself an average to slightly generous tipper. Always at least 5% MTT, 1$/hand including most blind steals, $2 for cocktails or complicated drinks like iced coffee, julius etc (BTW they have both of these at Borgata now).

So I am playing a 250+20 SNG which is chopped three ways and I get $400 or +$130. First and second tip $75 and $50 respectively and the SNG only lasts 1:20, same dealer whole time. I figure I am only liable to $7 or 5% of winnings since the buy-in was such a large percent. I see the dealer already made $125 for an hours work and I don't have any one dollar bills so I drop a finsky in the box and I am done with it. Dealer says "man you won $400 and your only tipping $5" I explain that I actually won $130 and he did better for the hour than I did without risking $270. Dealer persists (I thought he might have been joking around at first). I was quite pissed but calmly waited for my money and rolled out without furthur argument.

My assertion is that the dealers in SNGs don't even deserve 5% of the price pool for an hours work as they are already getting $16 hour. I am actually considering tipping less next time. Is it just me or is dealer's time not worth $100/hour? Am I a cheap grinder or was this dealer out of line?

juanez 08-19-2006 05:00 AM

Re: Greedy dealer or cheap grinder? (toke involved)

[ QUOTE ]
they are already getting $16 hour

[/ QUOTE ]

I've stopped replying to the numerous toking threads, but couldn't resist this one. The dealer was certainly out of line, but you mean that these dealers are making $16 per hour BEFORE tokes? Where was this?

Bishop22 08-19-2006 06:11 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
they are already getting $16 hour

[/ QUOTE ]

I've stopped replying to the numerous toking threads, but couldn't resist this one. The dealer was certainly out of line, but you mean that these dealers are making $16 per hour BEFORE tokes? Where was this?

[/ QUOTE ]

Tourny rate is around $14-$16 at Borgata on average, which is subsidized by the rake. I realize there are lot of toke threads that's why I put in the title, I thought this was a fairly uncovered aspect.

I was especially pissed that the dealer mouthed off twice, I would personally be a dealer myself if I made $150+ for an hour and half of work and I certainly would not be bitching that I was underpaid. Where is the limit? If I play a 1000+40 are the players suppose to tip $250+ for two hours of dealing in addition to the $400 in rake? Call me a nit but if I play again and get that line from the dealer, I am taking it to the room manager.

Bulldog 08-19-2006 07:23 AM

I wouldn't have to get a direct insult about a tip from a dealer a SECOND time before reporting it.

Also, julius as in Orange Julius? Alcoholic or no?

steamraise 08-19-2006 08:06 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I wouldn't have to get a direct insult about a tip from a dealer a SECOND time before reporting it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Dealer is way out of line.

chesspain 08-19-2006 08:21 AM

[ QUOTE ]
So I am playing a 250+20 SNG which is chopped three ways and I get $400 or +$130.

[/ QUOTE ]

This doesn't make sense. Most ten-player SNGs pay approx. 20% to third place. In addition, a player with the smallest stack who is already guaranteed the lowest prize should always been receiving more than that prize amount, or else there would be no reason to accept the chop. Yet, from this chop, you only received 16% of the prize pool.

Was there an unusual payoff schedule where third place received less than 15%, or did you just agree to a really bad deal?

steamraise 08-19-2006 08:34 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
So I am playing a 250+20 SNG which is chopped three ways and I get $400 or +$130.

[/ QUOTE ]

This doesn't make sense. Was there an unusual payoff schedule where third place received less than 15%, or did you just agree to a really bad deal?

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe it was a five handed tournament?

chesspain 08-19-2006 08:47 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This doesn't make sense. Was there an unusual payoff schedule where third place received less than 15%, or did you just agree to a really bad deal?

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe it was a five handed tournament?

[/ QUOTE ]

I guess it could've been shorthanded, although he said it lasted one hour twenty minutes.

psandman 08-19-2006 09:27 AM

Dealer was out of line,

But there are a couple of things you should keep straight.

1) You shouldn't tip less because of how much the others tipped ubless you will tip more to make up for smaller tips from the other people. Your tip should be based upon what you are comfortable giving, not what the other guys did.

2) One hour and twenty minutes is not one hours worth of work. It is One hour and 1/3 of an hour. Which takes a dealer out of rotation for from an hour and a half to two hours.

3) The Dealer may not get to keep all of the tokes. In many places a portion as high as 1/3rd goes to the floor. I say this just to point out your belief that the dealer was making as much as you might not be accurate.

Mygtar 08-19-2006 10:00 AM

[ QUOTE ]
but if I play again and get that line from the dealer, I am taking it to the room manager.

[/ QUOTE ] My opinion is you should have talked to the manager on this occasion also.

Peace,
Mygtar