Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Sporting Events (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=48)
-   -   60 Minutes Andy Rooney's baseball thoughts (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=488274)

prohornblower 08-28-2007 03:33 PM

Re: 60 Minutes Andy Rooney\'s baseball thoughts

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
" I know all about Babe Ruth and Lou Gehrig, but today's baseball stars are all guys named Rodriguez to me."

[/ QUOTE ]

sad, but True

[/ QUOTE ]

Webb
Santana
Peavy
Young
Pujols
Jeter
Suzuki
Guerrero
Howard
Matsuzaka
Ortiz
Orlando Palmeiro
Bonds

[/ QUOTE ]

Fixed You(r)kilis Post

niss 08-28-2007 03:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I used to be a big NHL fan (before they pussified the sport), and it was disconcerting when all the Russians came over, and everyone was named Blank-onov.

[/ QUOTE ]

Unless the names are Beatsov and Wacksov, I don't know why this is a problem.

benza13 08-28-2007 04:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I believe the high-flying NHL of the mid80s was about the peak of that sport in Americans' eyes

[/ QUOTE ]

This is definitely true.

FireStorm 08-28-2007 04:53 PM

1) Thank you for the post which named baseball's stars, other than Rodriguez. This was clearly necessary, as no one, anywhere, could have possibly arrived at the conclusion that some people who play baseball aren't Spanish/named Rodriguez. Thanks for bringing this to our attention. Brilliant, well thought out analytic posts like this are what keep me coming back to 2p2 time after time.

2) The comment about removing starting pitchers and replacing them with someone who "isn't as good" has some validity to it, don't you think?

iamawesomer 08-28-2007 05:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This was clearly necessary, as no one, anywhere, could have possibly arrived at the conclusion that some people who play baseball aren't Spanish/named Rodriguez.

[/ QUOTE ]

I would hope everyone comes to that conclusion seeing as how there are no Spanish players in MLB. And the post was neccesary to augment the awesomeness that is Youkilis. TTO baby!

FireStorm 08-28-2007 05:08 PM

Nice to see you have the time to split hairs, baby.

SoloAJ 08-28-2007 05:09 PM

I actually see some shred of validity to his Rodriguez statement. I don't really agree with it, but at least I can interpret where he is coming from.

Triumph36 08-28-2007 05:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I used to be a big NHL fan (before they pussified the sport), and it was disconcerting when all the Russians came over, and everyone was named Blank-onov.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't understand why this would be disconcerting? You couldn't overlook players' surnames and be happy with an increase in talent?

[/ QUOTE ]

the increase in talent decreased the excitement of the game for many fans

it caused the trapping defenses that brought in much lower scores

I believe the high-flying NHL of the mid80s was about the peak of that sport in Americans' eyes

[/ QUOTE ]

oh you mean when the Oilers were winning Stanley Cups and the playoff games were barely on cable television? Yeah, that's right.

Peak of the NHL was clearly from around 1990-1994. My guess is that there were 50 Russian players in the league at that time, so I have no idea what ytf is talking about.

Whatever the case, the foreigners in the game has made the NHL better, plus it's not like the NHL had regular sounding names to begin with. The best players in the sport were named Gretzky and Lemieux.

THAY3R 08-28-2007 05:22 PM

It's funny how this thread goes from the OP showing how [censored] retarded Rooney is, and then all of the responders in the thread agreeing with Rooney.

MyTurn2Raise 08-28-2007 05:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't understand why this would be disconcerting? You couldn't overlook players' surnames and be happy with an increase in talent?

[/ QUOTE ]

the increase in talent decreased the excitement of the game for many fans

it caused the trapping defenses that brought in much lower scores

[/ QUOTE ]

oh you mean when the Oilers were winning Stanley Cups and the playoff games were barely on cable television? Yeah, that's right.

Peak of the NHL was clearly from around 1990-1994. My guess is that there were 50 Russian players in the league at that time, so I have no idea what ytf is talking about.

Whatever the case, the foreigners in the game has made the NHL better, plus it's not like the NHL had regular sounding names to begin with. The best players in the sport were named Gretzky and Lemieux.

[/ QUOTE ]

you're right...94 was the peak with the Rangers winning the cup because it was the Rangers, ESPN coverage was at an alltime high, and expansion was going places people wanted hockey

as far as devotion and growth in interest, I still think the mid-late 80s had a more positive vibe