Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Beginners Questions (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=34)
-   -   Pot Limit Betting Preflop (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=525550)

mrpotatoh7 10-18-2007 02:56 AM

Pot Limit Betting Preflop

Can someone describe the betting of pot limit preflop and postflop using the example of a small blind of $1 and a big blind of $2. Playing live at our game, we are always confused of what the amount of the bet should be if we say "Bet the pot". I say the first bet the pot should be $7 (call 2 dollars and bet the amount of $5 for a total of $7). Also, if no one raises, then would the small blind only be allowed to raise to $6 (call 1 dollar and bet the amount of the pot of $4 for a total of $6). That discrepancy of $6 and $7 is what is confusing us, or does the small blind just get the shaft.

lucky_mf 10-18-2007 07:02 AM

Re: Pot Limit Betting Preflop

The sb only gets to raise to $6 for the reasons you described.

Lucky

mrpotatoh7 10-19-2007 08:01 PM

Does that not cause a disadvantage for the small blind to raise?

SheridanCat 10-20-2007 12:41 AM

I suppose, but keep in mind that since everyone will be in the small blind at some point, everyone will have the same disadvantage roughly the same number of times in a session.

binions 10-20-2007 02:09 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Can someone describe the betting of pot limit preflop and postflop using the example of a small blind of $1 and a big blind of $2. Playing live at our game, we are always confused of what the amount of the bet should be if we say "Bet the pot". I say the first bet the pot should be $7 (call 2 dollars and bet the amount of $5 for a total of $7). Also, if no one raises, then would the small blind only be allowed to raise to $6 (call 1 dollar and bet the amount of the pot of $4 for a total of $6). That discrepancy of $6 and $7 is what is confusing us, or does the small blind just get the shaft.

[/ QUOTE ]

I play pot limit all the time, and we have a standing rule that anyone can make it 5xBB to go at any time no matter what is in the pot.

When there are 2 limpers, you can make it 6xBB to go in our game because the SB is rounded up to be a BB, etc.

Works pretty good.

chrismystero 10-20-2007 05:05 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I play pot limit all the time, and we have a standing rule that anyone can make it 5xBB to go at any time no matter what is in the pot.

When there are 2 limpers, you can make it 6xBB to go in our game because the SB is rounded up to be a BB, etc.

Works pretty good.

[/ QUOTE ]
I hope you don't say your playing Pot Limit when you play this game. This isn't Pot Limit at all, you just made up your own poker game. Since in "Pot Limit" the "Pot" is the "Limit"...

Rek 10-20-2007 05:46 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Works pretty good.

[/ QUOTE ]
I hope you don't say your playing Pot Limit when you play this game. This isn't Pot Limit at all, you just made up your own poker game. Since in "Pot Limit" the "Pot" is the "Limit"...

[/ QUOTE ]

Haha well put - this did make me laugh. Like having a no limit game where you are limited to the amount you can bet. Or how about a limit game with no limits.

Todpullen 10-20-2007 09:51 PM

I think the idea is that a pot sized bet (the max allowed) gives any potential subsequent caller precisely 2:1 pot odds on the call - in the first case $5 to call and a $10 pot, in the second case $4 to call and an $8 pot.

Johnny Hughes 10-21-2007 01:56 PM

I play 2,5. You must raise at least 5, you can raise 15. We up the first two to a five. Therefore, you call 5 and raise the 12, 15 max. If five call, then you are the sixth to call making 32 in the pot, then you can raise 35.

We always announce a raise verbally, we put out the last bet and often raise the size of the pot which includes our call.

Note that in pot limit, if someone bets the pot, you are getting two to one to call on a hand like a flush draw which makes it a good call.

Johnny Hughes

Small Fry 10-21-2007 03:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Can someone describe the betting of pot limit preflop and postflop using the example of a small blind of $1 and a big blind of $2. Playing live at our game, we are always confused of what the amount of the bet should be if we say "Bet the pot". I say the first bet the pot should be $7 (call 2 dollars and bet the amount of $5 for a total of $7). Also, if everyone folds , then would the small blind only be allowed to raise to $6 (call 1 dollar and bet the amount of the pot of $4 for a total of $6). That discrepancy of $6 and $7 is what is confusing us, or does the small blind just get the shaft.

[/ QUOTE ]

Changed your post. Otherwise you're correct. Don't know that I agree that the SB gets the shaft as he only has one opponent to go against where anyone else still has both blinds potentially coming in along with possibly anyone who acts after them.