Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Other Other Topics (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Pickup basketball incident.... (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=396334)

sevenhigh 05-05-2007 06:50 PM

Pickup basketball incident....

My friends and I were playing basketball today at a public court in the area. I am a student and live in Montreal so this is the first day I have had a chance to play ball outside, as university just finished. Now keep in mind 2 out of the 6 kids with us don’t really play basketball often and they are kinda terrible.

Halfway through the second game a kid comes up to us and asked if his team can have next game. As I was about to accept the challenge I looked around and saw that all 3 other hoops were empty so I said sorry man but we just want to play each other right now. The look he gave me was like a dear in the head lights, he could not believe what I just said. The following conversation goes like this.

Him “Wtf man haven’t you ever played street ball! This is a public court”

Me “yeah dude but we brought 6 kids for 3 on 3 and there are plenty of free hoops”

Him (looking at his friends) “this kid wont let us play what an a**hole!”

Me “Look , if the place was packed I would say sure but, I didn’t come here to not play and neither did my friend!”

Him “this kid is ……( I didn’t hear) sucking everyones D**K!”

Me “ I don’t need to explain myself to you dude, NO!”

Him “whatever man f**k you”

We keep playing… he talks on his cell phone and then leaves. Is it my obligation to accept every challenge even when other hoops are free? I kinda felt bad that this kid didn’t have anyone to play with but is not having friends my fault? OOT am I way off here? He was just so surprised it made me feel like maybe I was wrong.

XXXNoahXXX 05-05-2007 06:53 PM

Re: Pickup basketball incident....

I think you already know the answer here.

guids 05-05-2007 06:54 PM

You've been served.

sevenhigh 05-05-2007 06:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think you already know the answer here.

[/ QUOTE ]

I dont know what this mean, I dont think I was wrong.

Homer 05-05-2007 07:03 PM

this thread kind of makes me want to watch white men can't jump.

XXXNoahXXX 05-05-2007 07:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
this thread kind of makes me want to put my books down and go play pickup basketball

[/ QUOTE ]

When i was in college I probably played 15 hours of ball per week when it was nice out.

KUJustin 05-05-2007 07:10 PM

I guess I'll give the first answer that isn't just some vague snide remark.

I think it's totally fine to decline if, and only if, there are open hoops. I also don't play very often if that affects my credibility.

imitation 05-05-2007 08:08 PM

This thread also makes me miss being in a country where it was easy to get pick up games.

Fwiw I think you should have let them play, atleast until me more people turned up or something.

Mike E. Vegas 05-05-2007 08:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You've been served.

[/ QUOTE ]

sevenhigh 05-05-2007 08:14 PM

I would usually try to help a brotha out but he was just such a dick i didnt feel bad. Plus he was all serious with a jersey and headbands, while half the people I was playing with couldnt even dribble.