Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Business, Finance, and Investing (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=32)
-   -   Post deleted by Mat Sklansky (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=462136)

07-27-2007 10:11 AM

Post deleted by Mat Sklansky

jws43yale 07-27-2007 10:58 AM

Re: $20,000 Cashiers Check, made out to me...what should I do with it?

Theres going to be an auction for a Sandy Koufax jersey and he is on his deathbed. Buy it now and profit.

BigBiceps 07-27-2007 11:19 AM

Buy a DEC07 straddle on the QQQ (possibly with a 3:1 ratio of puts to calls).

jupiterpig 07-27-2007 11:26 AM

I am a meteorology student in college and the latest hurricane simulations that I have seen have shown the chance for a big storm this year in the Atlantic so maybe buy into something like oil that will be affected by this in a positive way and hope that something happens...profit

Fishhead24 07-27-2007 11:44 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Theres going to be an auction for a Sandy Koufax jersey and he is on his deathbed.

[/ QUOTE ]

Is this a fact?

dazraf69 07-27-2007 11:56 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Theres going to be an auction for a Sandy Koufax jersey and he is on his deathbed.

[/ QUOTE ]

Is this a fact?

[/ QUOTE ]

No buying land in Iowa? [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Fishhead24 07-27-2007 11:59 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Is this a fact?

[/ QUOTE ]

No buying land in Iowa? [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Man, tough crowd. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

SomethingClever 07-27-2007 12:16 PM

Stake me for 5/10 NL. I'll give you 60% of the profits.

I make like $2,000/hour (sample size 0.25 hours).

jws43yale 07-27-2007 12:26 PM

After speaking with an aspiring young mutual fund manager, he said the only way to go is NTDOY.

But on a more serious note, I think that leveraging yourself and buying oil futures could be very profitable. I am loading up on energy stocks as I feel it could hit $100 this year. I have a Dad with his own independent oil & gas company, so it is something I am pretty familiar with, not just talking out of my ass.

Fishhead24 07-27-2007 12:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
After speaking with an aspiring young mutual fund manager, he said the only way to go is NTDOY.

But on a more serious note, I think that leveraging yourself and buying oil futures could be very profitable. I am loading up on energy stocks as I feel it could hit $100 this year. I have a Dad with his own independent oil & gas company, so it is something I am pretty familiar with, not just talking out of my ass.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hard to argue with you......especically when I totally agree with you. [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]

maxtower 07-27-2007 01:05 PM

What is your current profession? poker?

07-27-2007 01:43 PM

Fishhead24 07-27-2007 01:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
What is your current profession? poker?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm very good at making money

[/ QUOTE ]

All legally? [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

Ryno 07-27-2007 05:49 PM

I'd just slide that wad over to my father, 'cause he is like one of the top brokers in the state.

07-27-2007 05:52 PM

gsaj18 07-27-2007 08:13 PM

Hey Blue, I have been day trading for 3 years (rather successfully) and was thinking about what opportunity would fit what you want to...

Baidu.com (BIDU) is peaking in value over surprisingly good quarterly results-it was bought up to 200+ because (and this im sure of) IGNORANCE AND GREED....Baidu is the most used search engine in China...IT WONT BE FOR LONG AND IS DESTINED FOR A HUGE DROPOUT

Google is infiltrating China...From knowing how they run their management, Google will stop at NOTHING to bring down baidu and take over the Chinese search engine scene. Currently they have "obtained"(stolen) many top employees of Baidu and certainly aren't done yet....This search engine powerhouse (Google) will inevitably bring down Baidu(within the next 1-3 years) and I forsee Baidu plunging drastically...

I would like to add that my views on this are not singular as Baidu is one of the most short selled stocks that I know as the top day traders are preparing for a drastic drop....

If you want more information (ex. risk/when to buy after u short sell Baidu let me know)

AvivaSimplex 07-28-2007 03:06 AM

Here's a stock that will definitely keep things exciting. It's got great fundamentals, and it regularly swings 5-10% in a day.

Mines have serious environmental consequences. One of those consequences is that water gets into areas that used to be under the bedrock, which it becomes acidified and dissolves metals. The metals then run off into nearby streams, making the water poisonous. All mines these days are required to treat this runoff water. The typical way it's done is, the mining company mixes an enormous amount of lime into the water as it runs out. This congeals the metals into a hydroxide sludge, which then has to be warehoused forever.

Bioteq is a company with a new and better way to deal with this water. It uses biologically produced sulfides to reduce the metals, turning them into pure, marketable form. The remaining runoff water is safe to drink.

They make their money by selling the recovered metals, and the payback on a plant is incredibly fast. With today's metal prices, they can recover their capital costs in less than a year. In other words, they make 100% profit by year 2, and the plant just keeps producing more metals. The mine companies want to work with them, because Bioteq eliminates the cost they would have to pay for standard treatments.

Bioteq is still fairly small, but growing fast. They have 4 operating plants, and 2 more scheduled to open late this year. More are under construction or scheduled for construction. Based on my back-of-the-envelope calculations, Bioteq should have a 2008 P/E of 25, which is incredibly cheap considering their profits should grow 50% annually for the next 3 years.

The stock is only traded on the Toronto exchange, under the symbol BQE.TO. It's fun (or scary) to watch. Today it opened at 3.69, dropped to 3.50 in the morning, and climbed back to 3.89 by the close. Your $20,000 would have lost $1000, then gained back another $2000.

This is +EV, risky, creative, and will give you daily entertainment.

DcifrThs 07-28-2007 06:41 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Here's a stock that will definitely keep things exciting. It's got great fundamentals, and it regularly swings 5-10% in a day.

Mines have serious environmental consequences. One of those consequences is that water gets into areas that used to be under the bedrock, which it becomes acidified and dissolves metals. The metals then run off into nearby streams, making the water poisonous. All mines these days are required to treat this runoff water. The typical way it's done is, the mining company mixes an enormous amount of lime into the water as it runs out. This congeals the metals into a hydroxide sludge, which then has to be warehoused forever.

Bioteq is a company with a new and better way to deal with this water. It uses biologically produced sulfides to reduce the metals, turning them into pure, marketable form. The remaining runoff water is safe to drink.

They make their money by selling the recovered metals, and the payback on a plant is incredibly fast. With today's metal prices, they can recover their capital costs in less than a year. In other words, they make 100% profit by year 2, and the plant just keeps producing more metals. The mine companies want to work with them, because Bioteq eliminates the cost they would have to pay for standard treatments.

Bioteq is still fairly small, but growing fast. They have 4 operating plants, and 2 more scheduled to open late this year. More are under construction or scheduled for construction. Based on my back-of-the-envelope calculations, Bioteq should have a 2008 P/E of 25, which is incredibly cheap considering their profits should grow 50% annually for the next 3 years.

The stock is only traded on the Toronto exchange, under the symbol BQE.TO. It's fun (or scary) to watch. Today it opened at 3.69, dropped to 3.50 in the morning, and climbed back to 3.89 by the close. Your $20,000 would have lost $1000, then gained back another $2000.

[/ QUOTE ]

WINNNNNNNAR!!!

good job!

Barron

07-29-2007 08:47 AM

DcifrThs 07-29-2007 10:33 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

WINNNNNNNAR!!!

good job!

Barron

[/ QUOTE ]

jopke?

do you concur that this would be a good place to stick this money?

if its +EV in the end, but has a high risk of ruin, but also a good chance of making a [censored] ton...thats fine w/ me.

i think you might have been joking, but if you were not, please say here that you concur.

if a few other knowledgeable people also concur i'll send the cashiers check to etrade and buy 20k worth of the stock...and send $100 over to the ideaman

[/ QUOTE ]

no dude, flat out serious. i love that idea for a few reasons (in terms of your 20k criteria)

1) there is a potention for a very large score if things go well (in terms of expectation i'd say it is at least + EV in a small way if not more. i'm no stock expert but the way i see it, the distribution of events that would make this stock move seem to tilt to the "up" side)

2) it is something that nobody else here would ever think of

3) dr. frink recommends it

4) it seems highly volatile and thus you are promised a fun ride watching it move. maybe the daily moves won't match your poker swings, but at least you'll not have to think while you watch it dance

so for those reasons (mainly 1 and 4...though 3 is important as well) i think it is the best decision you can make with your 20k check that has yet been mentioned and that i can think of otherwise given your criteria.

Barron

jogger08152 07-29-2007 11:23 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Based on my back-of-the-envelope calculations, Bioteq should have a 2008 P/E of 25,

[/ QUOTE ]
They have no earnings.

[ QUOTE ]
which is incredibly cheap considering their profits should grow 50% annually for the next 3 years.

[/ QUOTE ]
There are no profits. They lost less money in '06 than in '05, but more than in '04.

-----

They've been raising capital by issuing shares (being an environmental tech company probably doesn't hurt the cause), which is nice for their survival prospects (they can sustain their losses because of the capital influx) but not so nice, because of the earnings dilution factor, if you hope they will make a lot of money down the road.

I can see no reason to invest in this company ATM. If you're interested in it, throw it on a watch list and check next year's annual report for new developments.

DcifrThs 07-29-2007 11:38 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Based on my back-of-the-envelope calculations, Bioteq should have a 2008 P/E of 25,

[/ QUOTE ]
They have no earnings.

[ QUOTE ]
which is incredibly cheap considering their profits should grow 50% annually for the next 3 years.

[/ QUOTE ]
There are no profits. They lost less money in '06 than in '05, but more than in '04.

-----

They've been raising capital by issuing shares (being an environmental tech company probably doesn't hurt the cause), which is nice for their survival prospects (they can sustain their losses because of the capital influx) but not so nice, because of the earnings dilution factor, if you hope they will make a lot of money down the road.

I can see no reason to invest in this company ATM. If you're interested in it, throw it on a watch list and check next year's annual report for new developments.

[/ QUOTE ]

yes thats all well and good, but the future may be bright and the OP doesn't mind something that may have a large potential payoff and would be exciting to watch.

the OP is a mid limit poker pro (mid/high?) who has enough money where this 20k won't be a big loss if he loses it but wants to get some entertianment and possibly large gains in the future.

if this stock doesn't fit that criteria, i don't know what does.

Barron

AvivaSimplex 07-29-2007 01:45 PM

If anyone is interested in doing due diligence on this, there's a lot of information in Bioteq's Fact Sheet and Investor Presentation.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
They have no earnings.

[/ QUOTE ]

They have 4 smallish plants currently running, which pay for their own operating costs, plus the administrative costs. They should turn a slight profit this year. The key is, they'll open two giant plants at the end of 2007. You can see the projections for these on pages 14-15 of the investor presentation. Updating those projections to today's metal prices, those two plants alone will net $14 million Canadian. Administrative costs shouldn't go up much, so that should go straight to the bottom line.

Divide $14 million into their market cap (which has dropped since I last did this calculation), and you get a P/E of 19! That's not even considering the other two plants they have under construction, scheduled for '08 completion.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
I'm assuming they'll continue to open 1-2 new plants per year, and expand operations somewhat at existing plants.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Ummm.... That's a strategy followed by nearly every startup company. Their balance sheet is in great shape, they have $28 million cash and $1 million in debt. 2007-2008 is the critical period where they expand their operations on a much larger scale and start making some serious cash.

Obviously there are risks. The biggest is that BQE doesn't execute properly, and there are a lot of delays and cost overruns in the building of the plants. It's worth noting that they've built 4 plants in the past, and are expanding their engineering capabilities. A second risk is that their profits are tightly geared to metal prices. Still, even if metal prices drop by 50%, they'd still make $3 million in 2008, which, as worst-case scenarios go, is not bad at all.

Sdrive 07-29-2007 06:02 PM

would opening an etrade or scotrade account allow me to trade canadian stock?

07-30-2007 12:32 AM

ifckladyluck 07-30-2007 09:14 AM

buy goldman puts.

07-30-2007 10:51 AM

ifckladyluck 07-30-2007 01:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
buy goldman puts.

[/ QUOTE ]

thats a sound argument

[/ QUOTE ]

actually, id rather sell goldman calls. The banking index has been doing fairly shtty, and should continue to do so. Furthermore, goldman was involved with bear sterns in taking large baskets of subprime loans off servicers hands. Those two bear sterns funds announced bankrupcy a cuople weeks ago. Sounds like a leading indicator to me.

07-30-2007 02:05 PM

DcifrThs 07-30-2007 02:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
SP500 down 5-6% in a week. Avg PE is at the lowest point in more than a decade. I think I might just buy index funds with it, whole market seems pretty cheap right now.

[/ QUOTE ]

just keep one thing in mind. Price looks at future earnings. Earnings (reported) are based on past Qs.

we are in a prolonged late cycle environment. the next phase of that cycle is higher global rates and lower growth. low growth is bad for equities as are higher rates. the low P/E may be accurately reflecting the coming environment. in fact, it may be underestimating the degree to which rates may rise if growth (reported) firms further and inflation (due to capacity constrainsts & commodity price flow throughs) pushes higher. consumption may also pare back further hampering growth without a rise in rates (deteriorating future earnings).

hope this helps your thought process.
Barron

07-30-2007 02:26 PM

DcifrThs 07-30-2007 03:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
SP500 down 5-6% in a week. Avg PE is at the lowest point in more than a decade. I think I might just buy index funds with it, whole market seems pretty cheap right now.

[/ QUOTE ]

just keep one thing in mind. Price looks at future earnings. Earnings (reported) are based on past Qs.

we are in a prolonged late cycle environment. the next phase of that cycle is higher global rates and lower growth. low growth is bad for equities as are higher rates. the low P/E may be accurately reflecting the coming environment. in fact, it may be underestimating the degree to which rates may rise if growth (reported) firms further and inflation (due to capacity constrainsts & commodity price flow throughs) pushes higher. consumption may also pare back further hampering growth without a rise in rates (deteriorating future earnings).

hope this helps your thought process.
Barron

[/ QUOTE ]

i don't really have an intelligent reply to make to that. it all makes sense if we were in an economics class...but to paraphrase WB:

when you see a deal, that is not the time to pull out something called the Fundamental Market Equilibrium Hyperactivity Model, it is the time to act!

stocks are cheap now, plz to be telling me which ones to buy!

[/ QUOTE ]

if you think stocks are cheap: S&P GOGOGO!

i dont' know from individual stocks. the "market" should respond if you think it is cheap!

Barron

DesertCat 07-30-2007 04:56 PM

I have no opinion on AvivaSimplexes recommendation, other than it sounds like it exactly meets OP's requirements. But I wanted to point out that it was written up about a year ago on ValueInvestorsClub.com, and was very highly rated (anything over 5 on that site is highly rated, they are very picky). Of course this was at lower prices and the author has since taken profits.

If anyone is interested, there the writeup led to a lengthy discussion as well.

Nomad84 07-30-2007 07:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I have no opinion on AvivaSimplexes recommendation, other than it sounds like it exactly meets OP's requirements. But I wanted to point out that it was written up about a year ago on ValueInvestorsClub.com, and was very highly rated (anything over 5 on that site is highly rated, they are very picky). Of course this was at lower prices and the author has since taken profits.

[/ QUOTE ]

Link doesn't work for me. Would I be correct to assume that this link only works for valueinvestors.com members, and is not, in fact, a broken link?

farang0 07-30-2007 08:48 PM

buy up diamonds or real estate in zimbabwe

jb86 07-31-2007 10:19 AM

http://www.newratings.com/analyst_ne...or_alerts.html

07-31-2007 10:21 AM

DesertCat 07-31-2007 01:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Link doesn't work for me. Would I be correct to assume that this link only works for valueinvestors.com members, and is not, in fact, a broken link?

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry about the link. VIC allows guest access with a 45 or 90 day delay, and I should have used a link from the guest portion of the site. This should work.

AvivaSimplex 08-01-2007 05:47 PM

BQE closed at 4.50 today, up 19%!
Still has room to run, IMO.

Disclosure: I'll probably start lightening up a little between 5-6, just because it's become such a large portion of my portfolio.

jws43yale 08-07-2007 02:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
buy up diamonds or real estate in zimbabwe

[/ QUOTE ]

ftw

although i just found a website that sells people, actual people. they dont provide any details, just a phone number. but they are very clear it isn't a joke and you can have actual human beings delivered to you. thinking about calling...

[/ QUOTE ]

First of all I want a link to this site. Second of all, what did you end up doing with the check blue.