Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Medium Stakes Limit (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=55)
-   -   turn strategy (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=505656)

ship it pls 09-20-2007 07:07 PM

turn strategy

7 handed 30-60 game

hero opens in early with AsTs,
2 coldcalls,
button 3-bets,
sb calls 3 cold,
hero and the two others call

flop: Js 8h 2s

sb fires out, hero calls, only button calls

turn: Ac

sb checks, hero?
------

player reads: sb and button are both good lags

Garland 09-20-2007 07:16 PM

Re: turn strategy

Sorry this seems too simple, but bet?

Garland

Hass 09-20-2007 07:26 PM

I would raise the flop and clean up my pair outs a little bit. But as played I bet the turn.

private joker 09-20-2007 07:35 PM

I kind of like checking the turn. Button's most likely hand is AK here after 3-betting PF and just calling the flop. He doesn't have a PP, so this ace probably hit him hard and he's raising our turn bet. Since we have the nut flush draw, it would be nice to keep 3 people in the pot on the turn and not charge ourselves double to hit it.

Not that it would be a crime, since we have good equity (at least 9 if not 12 outs if behind), but I don't see a big problem with checking here.

ST069 09-20-2007 07:41 PM

What is your plan if you miss the river with that line private? A loose call if he bets?

tessarji 09-20-2007 07:43 PM

I think you should definitely raise the flop.

Checking the turn is pretty good, it loses less when behind, and if you do have the best hand, it's hard to see how your opponents will have more than 4-5 total outs between them.

If the SB sticks around on the turn, I'd fold the river UI because it looks doubtful that the button will win this pot by bluffing.

ship it pls 09-20-2007 08:48 PM

garland, what do you put sb and button on that makes betting so easy?

STO69, i am not folding this hand w/o excessive action given villains - they both have a tendancy to fire when given the opportunity

Hass, in this game raising wont clean up my pair outs, it would create additional equity though - i was hoping to back raise if there were numerous callers on the flop and button pumped it, i was very surprised at the folds to say the least given board texture

RobA 09-20-2007 10:25 PM

on a quick read seemed like a bet/call, but I think these guys saying check are right.

I tried to convince myself that betting was right with SB having less hearts, or T9, or KJs, or, QJs and Button having TT, or 99. I'm generally getting myself into trouble when i'm trying to force two other players into fairly specfic hands.

Its much more likely at least one of them has AJ, AK, AQ, 88 or JJ. So the check is good.

I think in general, when you peel, or draw at all, if you hit a card that improves your hand, but not the real card you were looking for, it consistently seems like a decent spot to play more weak/tight.

Play weak/tight here and check/call.

Garland 09-21-2007 12:17 AM

[ QUOTE ]
garland, what do you put sb and button on that makes betting so easy?

[/ QUOTE ]

SB has a naked J, which I don't want to give a free card for his 5 outer. Maybe 9T or some other gutshot, which we need to charge for the draw. He could even have a weaker flush draw (which is a bonanza on the river if it hits), and we need to charge him for drawing dead.

It's not beyond the realm of possibility that button has TT or 99 or some other pair and froze on the flop. Don't give him a free 2 outer. If raised, you can be fairly sure where you stand.

On the turn you have a hand, so protect it.

Garland

PokerBob 09-21-2007 06:29 AM

raise the flop.