Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   EDF (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=81)
-   -   Help Me Decide What To Do (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=403041)

IggyWH 05-14-2007 05:38 PM

Help Me Decide What To Do

I'm at a total loss here, so I'm turning to all of you for advice. I understand this is my decision and that no one can tell me what to do, but I'm really at a loss right now.

As some of you may remember from a previous thread, I moved to San Diego recently. I'm almost 2 weeks old here so I barely have my feet wet. I moved out here without a job, however I had a good phone interview with a company in my previous work field.

On my drive out here, this company called me up and told me they wanted me to start ASAP. On forms that I had filled out, I listed my desired salary at $30,000. I figured this out using information I could get from Pittsburgh about San Diego. In Pittsburgh, I was making ~ $24,000. I wasn't rich by any means, but not bad money for where I lived. I was not only able to survive on it, but saved up $10,000 over 7 months before moving out here.

Now that I'm here in San Diego though, I'm realizing that $30,000 just isn't going to cut it. I'll be broke trying to live off of that within a year. The difference between my Pittsburgh salary and my San Diego salary is $6,000 and that difference alone isn't enough to cover my difference in rent. Hell, I've spent $400 in groceries in 2 weeks and I don't think I ever spent more than $250 in a month back in Pittsburgh.

So today, I went in for training at my job and I went and had a talk with some people playing hardball. I told them that there was no way I could take this job at $30,000 as I won't be able to survive off of it.

* Let me add in a note here and say I have no problem working a second part-time job to make extra money, however with the work hours this job requires and possible out of town work, a part time job would not be possible

They came back to me and said that they couldn't give me anymore. The job is for one single contract and that contract was underbid. They also told me it would be at least a year before I would get any kind of raise from it.

It's pretty much a take it or leave it situation. I told them give me a day to think it over.

=====================

I am at a loss what to do. I don't even know if I can find a job that will pay me what I need (I've figured it out to be $35,000).

If I take this job and stick with it, I see me being broke in about a year. Can I really turn this job down when I don't have a job though? I've only been here for 2 weeks and haven't really done any looking. Does $35,000 sound insane for someone who doesn't have a degree?

I know people are going to say take the job and keep looking. Two problems with that :

1)Since they know now that I'm not happy with the pay, for me to accept the job, I might be required to sign a contract. They want someone at least for a year so I'm sure they are concerned about me using them as a temp now.

2)I've always found it hard to really beat the pavement and find a job when you're working another job. When will I have time to call people, send out resumes, go on interviews with a steady daylight job?

=====================

I guess one good thing I got going is the recruiter for this company told me outright that with my experience, my salary in my field out here will range from $28k-$40k. So she said I wasn't being outrageous, it's just this position couldn't handle my request.

Life sucks, any helpful words of wisdom?

tightmaniac 05-14-2007 05:46 PM

Re: Help Me Decide What To Do

learn to play poker on the side?

john voight 05-14-2007 05:57 PM

Although I am a bit out of my element, I will suggest:

Cutting down your expenses. Your car, house/apt, lifestyle can always be downsized.

IMO, you can easily find a job that pays 30k in California. I mean my buddy quit school and sells shoes at Nordstrom's, making roughly 30k a year.

So, If I were you, I would either prolong the hiring process (while searching for another job), or take the job and minimize expenses.

guids 05-14-2007 05:59 PM

how legitimate must you be?

sledghammer 05-14-2007 06:08 PM

How much are you paying in rent? You could get a roommate.

IggyWH 05-14-2007 06:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
how legitimate must you be?

[/ QUOTE ]

Not sure what you mean by this.

[ QUOTE ]
How much are you paying in rent? You could get a roommate.

[/ QUOTE ]

$850 per month with total bills ending up being about ~ $75 is my share. It's a 2 bed 2 bath condo that I share with a roomie. So I don't think my living situation could be downgraded much. I did sign a 6 month lease though so I'm stuck here even if I wanted to move.

guids 05-14-2007 06:22 PM

In all seriousness, are you willing to break the law to make money.

Boris 05-14-2007 06:27 PM

keep working your current job and start job hunting immediately. Then quit when you find a better job. Easy.

I'm pretty sure you could make more than $15/hour doing landscaping.

NT! 05-14-2007 06:27 PM

iggy,

more info about what it is you do would obviously help. your experience, references, etc. but my guess is you could hold out for a better job. it may even be that when you tell the folks at your current job you're gonna walk, they'll offer you a raise.

you found a job with a salary at the low end of the range for the position. if you've got a decent employment history and job prospects aren't too bad, you can probably do better.

IggyWH 05-14-2007 06:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
In all seriousness, are you willing to break the law to make money.

[/ QUOTE ]

No