Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Politics (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=43)
-   -   Complaint about Israel thread (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=558162)

BluffTHIS! 11-30-2007 06:54 PM

Re: Another Stupid Peace Initiative for Israel/Arabs

Since you acknowledge that culture is a collection of actions and not an inherent racial quality, why does the context in which that culture is discussed/critcized matter? I.E. what does it matter what some action a person would advocate if an analysis is true?

And don't you think you have some obligation to avoid hyperbole by basically insinuating that advocating an attack on a certain group of people *on the basis of their actions rather than their race* is in fact the same as a racial attack?

zasterguava 11-30-2007 07:00 PM

meh, OP first calls for a war against the arabs, then later in THAT context is critical of their culture which he regards as inferior. This is a standard racist position that should be considered as being a fringe extremist view as it poses a clear distinction with the more acceptable view that Isreal may legitimately use force against the Arab states in regards to a political position. Otherwise the word fascism rings a bell.

anyway, its 10am and I havnt slept yet and have work today so goodnight perhaps I'm overly groggy.

BluffTHIS! 11-30-2007 07:06 PM

zaster,

The actual important point in context is the actions of those Arabs which is what Felix is using as a justification for certain actions against them, i.e. their extremist/terrorist actions. If you remove such actions, i.e. the Palestinians were not backing and participating in terrorism, and instead were peaceably going about their business, *then* you might have a valid argument of racism if he still sought to justify an attack on them solely in view of their culture.

andyfox 11-30-2007 07:23 PM

Felix started his original post with :

1.The Arab leaders don't want peace.
2.The Arabs are lying sacks of crap.

In point 1, he is referring to Arab leaders. In point 2, he says "Arabs." I read this as all Arabs.

Later in the post he calls for the ethnic cleansing of Israel:

"Take away the citizenship of all Arabs inside Israel."

"Relocate all Arabs inside Israel and dump them . . ."

The post is indeed a disgrace to 2+2.

ikestoys 11-30-2007 07:27 PM

i think you are whining about "racism" because its pretty damn hard to defend the actions of the arab states/palestinians in the last 20 years

BluffTHIS! 11-30-2007 07:28 PM

andy,

Notice that you are implicitly articulating a principle here which is that the morally superior victor in a war (if one is) cannot as a price/punishment/result of winning such a war, force the vanquished to leave a certain territory that has been captured. Such a forced depopulation is not "ethnic cleansing" since that implies killing them (genocide). So I think you have to justify that principle.

ikestoys 11-30-2007 07:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
In point 1, he is referring to Arab leaders. In point 2, he says "Arabs." I read this as all Arabs.

[/ QUOTE ]

seems like a reasonable person would apply it to the leaders.

BluffTHIS! 11-30-2007 07:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Felix started his original post with :

1.The Arab leaders don't want peace.
2.The Arabs are lying sacks of crap.

[/ QUOTE ]

Responding to this separately I would say he means those Arab leaders who have lied, and any Arabs who support/assert such lies. If that happens to be a majority of Arabs, then that's just an unpleasant reality to those who think that an entire culture/population/country can't be wrong in some particulars.

bobman0330 11-30-2007 07:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
andy,

Notice that you are implicitly articulating a principle here which is that the morally superior victor in a war (if one is) cannot as a price/punishment/result of winning such a war, force the vanquished to leave a certain territory that has been captured. Such a forced depopulation is not "ethnic cleansing" since that implies killing them (genocide). So I think you have to justify that principle.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ethnic cleansing is EXACTLY what Felix was advocating. I think you just don't understand what the term means, as it is much broader than genocide.

I don't think andy really needs to justify his opposition to ethnic cleansing either, as mass deportation is a textbook example of crimes against humanity.

And andy is of course right that Felix's post is thoroughly shameful and appalling.

boracay 11-30-2007 07:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The post is indeed a disgrace to 2+2.

[/ QUOTE ]