Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Medium Stakes Limit (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=55)
-   -   96s button (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=547450)

Justin A 11-16-2007 04:31 AM

96s button

UTG raises, three people cold call, I call on the button with 96dd, both blinds call. 7 ways for two bets. Is this too loose? I sometimes forget how to play preflop.

CO is the relevant player in this hand, he plays too loose in general but not completely out of line. Earlier he played a hand where he defended his blind with QT, check called an 8 high flop, J on turn gets checked through, and he successfully bluffed a king river.

Flop is A85 with two diamonds. I think the 8 was the offsuit card but it might have been the 5. Checked to CO who bets, I call, SB calls, and one limper calls. SB and limper almost certainly don't have anything good here.

Turn is an offsuit 2. Checked to CO who bets, I call, others fold.

River is a 6. CO bets and I call.

MitchL 11-16-2007 04:38 AM

Re: 96s button

I never fold in this situation and he wont fold a better hand so I think you played it fine. I would call in your spot pf though I doubt if it is right. Probably not too far off. I just hate the fact that J9 makes the nuts on out 78T board.

bakku 11-16-2007 05:32 AM

i think 96s is too trashy to be calling here. postflop looks fine

The Dude 11-16-2007 05:34 AM

I would call with 97s after 3 coldcallers, but 96s is just too poor a hand, methinks. I'm sure if you stoved it you would have enough equity to call, but considering the reality of how this hand is going to play out most of the time, I think you're losing money by playing it.

CardSharpCook 11-16-2007 07:00 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I would call with 97s after 3 coldcallers, but 96s is just too poor a hand, methinks.

[/ QUOTE ]

Joe Tall 11-16-2007 12:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I sometimes forget how to play preflop.

[/ QUOTE ]

After that Q9s button hand, you made that clear. As for 96s in this situation, meh, I'd rather raise Q9s after 2 limpers on the button to invite variance but whatever.

[ QUOTE ]

River is a 6. CO bets and I call.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm too lazy to count the pot, 12BBs?. But I still don't think it's big enough that he's bluffing 3-streets, multiway, in a live poker game, given the action and regardless of the read. He has to have an Ace 98% of the time but you were there.

*TT* 11-16-2007 01:35 PM

Justin - you have to be good 8% of the time for a call to be profitable, I think your good less than that - fold the river.

pre-flop - 97s yes, 96s - no. However if it was UTG raised, 5 players cold call and the blinds are likely to do the same then I am fine with 96s on the button.

Moemar 11-16-2007 02:58 PM

Personally, I am calling with 96s here pre-flop. I know it's loose, but my pre-flop game is looser than avg. (perhaps to a fault) I like having position in a pumped up multi-way pot.

Post flop looks fine, except;

I fold the river. What can you beat? A higher busted flush draw, I suppose... He probably has an Ace or better vast majority of the time.

andyfox 11-16-2007 03:39 PM

This is the kind of hand I end up losing a lot more bets than you lost here, so I don't play it. Because I play in Commerce and there's no way a hand with an ace and a draw on the board is going to cost only one bet on the flop and the turn. But I can see doing everything you did in Vegas where a larger percentage of the players prefer to call or fold than raise or win.

Usually, the guy turns over Td-8d or A-3o and I turbomuck and everyone thinks we just might get Andy today. And they might be right.

Justin A 11-16-2007 05:21 PM

Anyone like a turn raise?