Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Home Poker (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   Tipping the host (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=374306)

Javanewt 04-09-2007 03:23 PM

Tipping the host

In Lexington, home games are legal if the house does not make a profit (from poker or beer, food, etc.) and does not offer incentives (hats, shirts, etc.).

I play in a regular game on Friday nights, and I've been told it's nice to tip the host if you come in the money. This is fine with me. He has a great setup and he puts a lot of work into it. He has never mentioned it and doesn't ask for a thing.

Last week, a friend did well in the cash games after the tournament, but was out fairly early in the tournament. Should he tip? Would it be normal, abnormal, or is it just personal preference? If you think it's personal preference, would you do it?

27offsuit 04-09-2007 04:48 PM

Re: Tipping the host

When in doubt....'Yes".

dcasper70 04-09-2007 04:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
When in doubt....'Yes".

[/ QUOTE ]
crap, I knew I forgot something. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

27offsuit 04-09-2007 04:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
When in doubt....'Yes".

[/ QUOTE ]
crap, I knew I forgot something. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

lawl

Preflop(2nd) dropped me a 60 spot....which I gave to Toro a few hours later after I get AAKK playing PLO8 and the board comes AKx and well, you know the rest.....

Slow Play Ray 04-09-2007 05:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
In Lexington

[/ QUOTE ]

MA?

i guess it never hurts to offer.

wedgeporter 04-09-2007 09:55 PM

I gave the host(and his wife) of our regular game a Christmas present last year. Like Java said, there is a fair bit of work involved in setting it up week by week. And it is nice to be appreciated.

psandman 04-09-2007 10:08 PM

Generally when i play in home games I liek to offer something to offset the costs. I wouldn't in a million years consider it a TIP.

If the host ordered a pizza I may try to pay for the pizza or at least offer to bring the beer or something.

neuroman 04-09-2007 11:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Preflop(2nd) dropped me a 60 spot....which I gave to Toro a few hours later after I get AAKK playing PLO8 and the board comes AKx and well, you know the rest.....

[/ QUOTE ]
You got stacked losing to a runner-runner backdoor straight?

Lottery Larry 04-09-2007 11:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
You got stacked losing to a runner-runner backdoor straight?

[/ QUOTE ]

From what little I know of 27off... it was probably a blue deck card in his red deck hand, the dummy.

:P

Taso 04-10-2007 04:59 AM

I host a weekly game and a lot of work goes into it. However, the way I see it: I'm getting a poker game without having to drive anywhere. I do not expect a tip, and I will not accept a tip either.