Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Other Poker Games (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   40/80 Badugi At Bell (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=255905)

beset 11-08-2006 09:23 PM

40/80 Badugi At Bell

5-handed game. Two fish. The villain in this hand seems solid but somewhat loose and very aggressive and is a regular in this game. He used to be a sportscaster or something I have seen him on prior badugi rounds get caught bluffing and make some thin value bets.

He probably perceives me fairly accurately: a tight but competent LHE, O8 and 2-7 player who hasn't played much badugi and may be playing a little higher then usual. I have been playing very very ABC because I have a flight in a couple hours and don't want to get stuck super deep [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

I am delt a T873 badugi in the SB. It is folded to villain OTB who raises. I 3-bet. BB folds and villain calls.

I stand pat. He pauses and draws one. I had already bet in the dark. He calls.

I stand pat. He stands pat.

I check and he checks(?). I had considered bet/3-betting or bet/calling and then breaking but I decided to play passively and check with the intention of just calling if he bet and then probably breaking.

Anybody break? who bets and who checks?

2461Badugi 11-08-2006 09:55 PM

Re: 40/80 Badugi At Bell

Well, you certainly can't break. I'd probably check-call on the end regardless of whether he breaks or not.

Much depends on what sort of hand he draws to, but against a lot of opponenets I'll bet-fold third. Bet-threebet is OK, bet-call and break is horrible.

*TT* 11-08-2006 10:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Bet-threebet is OK, bet-call and break is horrible.

[/ QUOTE ]

I disagree, opponent sounds like he won't ever break to a 3-bet. I check call to the river, but I would not break a T badugi here.... its marginal, but a slightly winning play in the long run.

TT [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

2461Badugi 11-08-2006 10:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I disagree, opponent sounds like he won't ever break to a 3-bet.

[/ QUOTE ]

I realize that (unless he's false-carding). Some opponents should be bet-threebet anyway. Given the flat-call on second, you'll almost never be raised on third by a medium-strength hand.

DeathDonkey 11-08-2006 11:59 PM

Easy turn bet for me, how can he have you beat? Put it another way, if this is how a regular in the game plays a hand that beats you, this game is crushable by snowing practically every hand. I'd bet/call stand pat had he raised. Easy bet on the end for value.

-DeathDonkey

*TT* 11-09-2006 12:03 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I disagree, opponent sounds like he won't ever break to a 3-bet. I check call to the river, but I would not break a T badugi here.... its marginal, but a slightly winning play in the long run.

[/ QUOTE ]

ugh, I typed wrong. I bet, call raise. Check-call river. Same results, but I didn't mean to say check turn. My point was only not to 3-bet.

2461Badugi 11-09-2006 12:15 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I bet, call raise. Check-call river.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is a perfectly good generic line.

beset 11-09-2006 06:33 PM

After I came out of the fog I realized I got the second street action wrong. After he stood pat I bet anyways and he just called. I stood pat, he stood pat. Still value bet the river?

HOWMANY 11-09-2006 06:41 PM

I'm not familiar with this game at all, but shouldn't a 9 Badugi be plenty strong enough of a hand for him to raise you with, especially for someone aggressive?

I think betting the river is much more valuable than check/calling, but I really have nothing to back it up other than I think I like your hand considering how your opponent has played his.

beset 11-09-2006 06:44 PM

Part of my concern at the time and maybe this is just an intuition live poker thing, was that I was perceived as playing ridiculously tight during badugi rounds and there was some comments made about this. I still think a 9 should put in another bet at some point for sure.

During O8, 2-7 and LHE rounds I was playing my normal aggro game but because I have played like 20 hands of badugi in my life I just decided to play insanely tight and the decent players at the table were able to pick up on this quite easily and even joked about it.

2461Badugi 11-09-2006 06:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
After I came out of the fog I realized I got the second street action wrong. After he stood pat I bet anyways and he just called. I stood pat, he stood pat. Still value bet the river?

[/ QUOTE ]

That's third, you mean? Good on third.

I still check-call the end since I can't fold to a raise.

beset 11-09-2006 07:07 PM

Yeah 3rd.

*TT* 11-09-2006 11:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I still check-call the end since I can't fold to a raise.

[/ QUOTE ]

and there isn't enough "value" in value betting.

beset 11-10-2006 01:45 AM

check check and he shows 98 badugi. strange hand.

Phat Mack 11-10-2006 03:25 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you played it correctly. From the tone of your posts, you didn't think your T was so hot. You didn't break it, which I think was correct, and you laid it as cheaply as possible. ni han.

beset 11-10-2006 02:42 PM

Thanks, mack. It's good to confirm breaking is not a viable option.

HOWMANY 11-10-2006 04:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This is a pretty terrible check by your opponent, right?

beset 11-10-2006 04:31 PM

i'd say so

if anything this hand was informative and allowed me to make some moves later as I became more comfortable with badugi.