Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   MOD DISCUSSION (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=52)
-   -   Post deleted by Mat Sklansky (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=222300)

grandgnu 09-28-2006 12:32 PM

Re: Ask Degen Anything About Living In Thailand

[ QUOTE ]
when we're talking about the IRS reading "online poker" on your return

[/ QUOTE ]

My understanding is that you'd list yourself as a "professional gambler" since "online poker" is still a gray area in the U.S.

Plus, the I.R.S. doesn't care about the rules of Thailand, so long as you're sending them money they're happy.

Also, I'm sure there are ways around things in Thailand (i.e. you could be an "internet entreprenuer" or something, or an "online consultant" without spelling out you're playing poker)

TheDudeAbides 09-28-2006 12:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Bill:

QUESTION THREE: I'm pretty picky about food, but like the simple stuff. Hamburgers, steak, chicken, mashed potatoes, french fries. I cannot stand seafood, not even fish sticks. How hard will it be for me to have a simple meal like I've described (capable of preparing myself if the food can be purchased)

(edited to add question three)

[/ QUOTE ]

Thailand's not for you.

[/ QUOTE ]

well there are mcdonalds and burger kings everywhere:P

-pug

[/ QUOTE ]

Not exactly what I had in mind, but thanks. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Which leads me to another question. Do you drink the water and have ice in your drinks there? I ate food from street vendors and never got sick. But I went to the Hard Rock in Bangkok one night and, without thinking, had the lettuce on my burger and ended up spending a night in the hospital. Does your body get used to the water, and can you eventually eat raw fruits and vegetables without fear of getting ill?

Sponger. 09-28-2006 12:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Oy vey, exaggerated. I take a set percentage from her check each week because I'm responsible for paying ALL the bills that come in.

She gets to have some money that is "hers" that she can spend however she wishes, and her monetary contribution towards the bills is not even close to covering 50% of expenses, so I think I'm more than fair.

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you poor? Who does stuff like this?

Also does your wife keep her money in a piggy bank or does she have a real bank account?

grandgnu 09-28-2006 12:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Oy vey, exaggerated. I take a set percentage from her check each week because I'm responsible for paying ALL the bills that come in.

She gets to have some money that is "hers" that she can spend however she wishes, and her monetary contribution towards the bills is not even close to covering 50% of expenses, so I think I'm more than fair.

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you poor? Who does stuff like this?

Also does your wife keep her money in a piggy bank or does she have a real bank account?

[/ QUOTE ]

Let's not thread-hijack with off-topic discussion. This has been beat to death in a previous OOT thread.

PM me if you believe it's wrong for me to expect my wife to contribute towards our combined living expenses.

grandgnu 09-28-2006 12:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Bill:

QUESTION THREE: I'm pretty picky about food, but like the simple stuff. Hamburgers, steak, chicken, mashed potatoes, french fries. I cannot stand seafood, not even fish sticks. How hard will it be for me to have a simple meal like I've described (capable of preparing myself if the food can be purchased)

(edited to add question three)

[/ QUOTE ]

Thailand's not for you.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ya'll ain't got no cornbread n' grits up in herre?

http://www.klangundkleid.ch/img/kost...ecke-white.jpg

QUESTION FOUR: If I look like this, could I still get 5 girlfriends?

Kneel B4 Zod 09-28-2006 12:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Which leads me to another question. Do you drink the water and have ice in your drinks there? I ate food from street vendors and never got sick. But I went to the Hard Rock in Bangkok one night and, without thinking, had the lettuce on my burger and ended up spending a night in the hospital. Does your body get used to the water, and can you eventually eat raw fruits and vegetables without fear of getting ill?

[/ QUOTE ]

it's a good point, and someone said above "if you fear street vendors, Thailand isn't for you".

while this may be true, consider:

I ate ceviche in Costa Rica one time, got food poisoning, couldn't digest any food for a week, lost 15 pounds.

I ate a chicken sandwich from a street vendor in Egypt once, was violently ill for 3 days.

now, am I "afraid" of street vendors when I travel? in certain places, yeah. this doesn't stop me from going to those places, but it certainly causes me to buy bottled water, beware of certain vegetables, etc...while I like being adventurous with food, I'd rather not get really sick.

southerndog 09-28-2006 01:06 PM

I've had the sh*ts about 5 or 6 different times, and in different levels of severity.

No one here drinks the water. Its always bottled.

I've heard there is one area where they are trying to treat the water so it is drinkable.

By-Tor 09-28-2006 01:12 PM

WTF? One pic in this whole thread???

When does this thread turn into "Post a pic of a hot Thai chic"???

Soon I hope.

RunDownHouse 09-28-2006 01:20 PM

TM,

Including a live webcam shot always increases your satisfaction, in case you hadn't realized.

iron81 09-28-2006 01:23 PM

Miss Thailand 2006:

http://media.santabanta.com/gal/mu20.../thailand1.jpg

More

spoohunter 09-28-2006 01:36 PM

So what do you do for the first week or two when you are trying to find an apartment or house? Stay in a hotel?

Farfenugen 09-28-2006 01:49 PM

Has the question of whether online poker is legal, and if not, what happens if you get caught ever answered?

TIEdup14 09-28-2006 01:57 PM

How much would it cost to vacation there for a month or so? Please include airfare [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

09-28-2006 02:18 PM

Post deleted by Mat Sklansky

dinopoker 09-28-2006 03:09 PM

Can you get Diet Coke over there? I was in Columbia and all they had was "coca-cola light", which tasted pretty awful. Can you get the good stuff sweetened with aspertame over there?

beats 09-28-2006 03:59 PM

Nice thread Degen. Looks like you'll be back after I leave so I won't get to school you on the golf course [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] hehe..

Anyway, here's my two baht:

I've been living here in Thailand for 2 years now. It's been fun. Nightlife is off the hook. There are huge clubs in RCA and all kinds of stuff to do. Movie theaters are excellent. Gold class theaters are unforgettable and have totally ruined any theaters in San Francisco for me! LOL.. The cost of living is great. I've saved money, golfed like 50 times this year, had massages once a week, live in a upscale condo in downtown Bangkok with a park view and have traveled all over the country. There are a lot of good things about being in the country even if you have to do visa runs and deal with downsides like pollution and other dirtyness. Overall the plusses outweigh the minuses. I do miss the redwoods and fresh air but I also admit that I spend most of my time in the City.

I have been coming here on and off for 6 years and things have changed quite a bit. Bar closing time is 1am these days in most areas. Visa rules seem to be up in the air and possibly getting more restrictive. thaivisa.com has tons of info on that. Looks like there are ways around it if you just get a tourist visa and then do a few border runs etc.

If anyone is considering taking the long trip. DO IT. Read up on StickmanBangkok.com for some good info too. Party with Degen in BKK... priceless!

PokerFink 09-28-2006 04:25 PM

Why is Bangkok abbreviated BKK instead of BK? Or am I missing something?

Farfenugen 09-28-2006 04:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Why is Bangkok abbreviated BKK instead of BK? Or am I missing something?

[/ QUOTE ]

Its so nobody confuses it with Burger King.

daryn 09-28-2006 04:33 PM

coke light is awesome

PurpleLight 09-28-2006 04:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Wait, aren't you the guy that gives her a set allowance, and any further decisions must be approved by you?

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Between this and the fact you have a violence fetish that you want to explore with young Asian girls WHILE there with your wife, really makes you a despicable human being.

Fsck morality, hey?

09-28-2006 04:58 PM

09-28-2006 05:00 PM

TheDudeAbides 09-28-2006 05:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Have you been to any Muay Thai fights? Are there many in the cities?

[/ QUOTE ]

Never been, don't know much about it. I've heard good things however. On Koh Samui they have them almost nightly, I know because of the trucks that go up and down the streets blaring:

'THAI BOXING, TOOOONIIIIIIITTTTTEEEE AT CHAAAWEEENNGGG STADIUM!!'

[/ QUOTE ]

I went to one in a bar in Chaing Mai and it was one of the most surreal experiences of my life. In between fights that had a sadist come out and do [censored] like light himself on fire, slice his tongue with a razor blade, drink gasoline, etc. Good times, good times.

Side note - I also got pwned by a 12 year old pool hustler there who beat me 3 out of 3 games for a total of 1000 baht.

09-28-2006 05:29 PM

09-28-2006 05:33 PM

09-28-2006 05:36 PM

09-28-2006 05:39 PM

09-28-2006 05:40 PM

skier_5 09-28-2006 05:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
OK serious question here.

When you rent a motorbike if it says "full insurance" and I pop a tire, is that covered or does it mean insurance if I run someone over? Because I rented a bike and got a flat. The place I rented it from is closed so I can't ask. Am I going to get owned by a huge fine here? Should I get it fixed before I return it? Is the rental place going to try to rip me off (Pop's something in Chiang Mai). Do they have that fix-a-flat [censored] in a can here? Where should I go?

An answer by 10am Thailand time would really kick ass here.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've never broke one. I can say that people get seriously injured and die on those things constantly, so be careful.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's probably best just to get it fixed yourself. A friend that I was travelling with crashed one on koh samiu (sp?) and he had to pay 2700 baht to replace everything. I'm sure we got ripped off and there were other bikes with scratches with the same mileage, but they insisted this one was newer. I don't recall anything about insurance though.

PurpleLight 09-28-2006 06:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I am certain he was joking about the abuse, or at least mostly joking.

Also however him and his wife are in their own home, as long as she is happy, is none of your [censored] business. Lay off.

[/ QUOTE ]

Was that a joke? Forgive me but when people demonstrate terrible character it tends to agitate me. I don't like wife beaters either, I guess that might make me out of line too.

But on more pleasant notes, this has been a really good thread that I've really enjoyed reading. <3 Degen.

grandgnu 09-28-2006 06:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Wait, aren't you the guy that gives her a set allowance, and any further decisions must be approved by you?

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Between this and the fact you have a violence fetish that you want to explore with young Asian girls WHILE there with your wife, really makes you a despicable human being.

Fsck morality, hey?

[/ QUOTE ]

I am certain he was joking about the abuse, or at least mostly joking.

Also however him and his wife are in their own home, as long as she is happy, is none of your [censored] business. Lay off.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks Degen. My wife understands my various fetishes and fantasies. She has a HUGE thing for guys in uniform (cops/staties and military) and it doesn't bother me. The key fact is that we're both honest and upfront with one another about what we like.

Plus, I think it's better than I want girls to abuse/humiliate me, rather than I'm out there looking to do that to them. Just because you don't understand these things doesn't mean they don't exist in a huge percentage of the population. (my explanation comments directed at the guy who doesn't get it, not Degen)

nath 09-28-2006 07:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Was that a joke? Forgive me but when people demonstrate terrible character it tends to agitate me. I don't like wife beaters either, I guess that might make me out of line too.

[/ QUOTE ]

Whoa whoa whoa, how does wanting to be slapped around by teenage girls equate wife beating? When is a kink indicative of terrible moral character?

IlPug 09-28-2006 07:23 PM

i've never gotten sick in thailand, but then i grew up there, so im probably used to the food/standards of cleanliness.. in fact, i think some of the precautions they take in AUS let alone the US are abit over the top, but thats me. And again, i've travelled to a fair few places and havnet gotten food poisoning yet, so it probably is just me.

Also im SURE you can get diet coke there.

Finally, going to muay thai fights is awesome. Muay Thai fighters are like gods in thailand, its great, and they're really nice about foreigners trying to learn the sport. You'll see 8 year olds who can through ridiculous combos (the coordination that these kids have is pretty crazy IMO - and i've boxed for more than 4/5 my life!). there are supposed to be several nice stadiums in BKK, though ive only ever been to the one in phuket. The atmosphere is awesome, people are literally screaming as every punch is thrown, and the fights are always good - action packed, with both fighters usually closley matched (there are exceptions of course). Also be wary of some of the 'matches' they set up in the heart of tourist areas, like near bars and whatnot (in patong beach in phuket and in hua hin for example). These are usually staged fights that rip off tourists (drinks are more expensive, etc.), though they're still probably worth it, cuz its a good experience.

anyone who goes to thailand definitely has to go see a muay thai fight!

-pug

PurpleLight 09-28-2006 07:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Whoa whoa whoa, how does wanting to be slapped around by teenage girls equate wife beating? When is a kink indicative of terrible moral character?

[/ QUOTE ]

tbh it has to do with the being married already thing, outside of that to each his own. If he wanted his own wife to slap him around then whatever, but to seek out teenage asian girls while already married seems to be a little, tasteless? And I wasn't equating it to wife beating.

But this is just how I feel about human life and it's my moral standards. Its something that will be scorned at by most people, but I voiced it so flame away. Just explaining my rationale. It could also be that my thinking is off base and I need to reevaluate my own character.

Take the thread back to Thailand though, it doesn't need to get derailed with this. This is the last post I'll make on this subject here.

ThatGuy_ 09-28-2006 07:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I plan on getting slapped and doing slapping with underage asian girls while I'm in thailand. It would be immoral not to pay the girl to do this, just think about it, which is worse, letting her starve or take a few slaps to the face.

grandgnu 09-28-2006 07:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I plan on getting slapped and doing slapping with underage asian girls while I'm in thailand. It would be immoral not to pay the girl to do this, just think about it, which is worse, letting her starve or take a few slaps to the face.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, exactly, I'm like the Barry Greenstein of the S&M World, I just want to help people.

p.s. my wife is giving me an evil glare and threatening to stab me with a pen in the throat, I think she wants sex or something..... [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

EDIT: My wife would be joining in the beating, someones gotta be the ringleader.

DrunkIrish05 09-28-2006 08:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i've never gotten sick in thailand, but then i grew up there, so im probably used to the food/standards of cleanliness.. in fact, i think some of the precautions they take in AUS let alone the US are abit over the top, but thats me. And again, i've travelled to a fair few places and havnet gotten food poisoning yet, so it probably is just me.

Also im SURE you can get diet coke there.

Finally, going to muay thai fights is awesome. Muay Thai fighters are like gods in thailand, its great, and they're really nice about foreigners trying to learn the sport. You'll see 8 year olds who can through ridiculous combos (the coordination that these kids have is pretty crazy IMO - and i've boxed for more than 4/5 my life!). there are supposed to be several nice stadiums in BKK, though ive only ever been to the one in phuket. The atmosphere is awesome, people are literally screaming as every punch is thrown, and the fights are always good - action packed, with both fighters usually closley matched (there are exceptions of course). Also be wary of some of the 'matches' they set up in the heart of tourist areas, like near bars and whatnot (in patong beach in phuket and in hua hin for example). These are usually staged fights that rip off tourists (drinks are more expensive, etc.), though they're still probably worth it, cuz its a good experience.

anyone who goes to thailand definitely has to go see a muay thai fight!

-pug

[/ QUOTE ]

I went to a muay thai fight night when i was in phuket. I'm positive it was real (tons of locals and whatnot) but was absolutely stunned by the average age of the fighters. There were probably 3 fights all night of fighters that looked over 15

TimM 09-28-2006 08:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
p.s. my wife is giving me an evil glare and threatening to stab me with a pen in the throat, I think she wants sex or something..... [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Interesting form of foreplay [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

grandgnu 09-28-2006 08:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Interesting form of foreplay [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Perhaps she's half-Thai and I just don't know it! [img]/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img]

farang0 09-28-2006 08:33 PM

I had the [censored] for like 2 weeks when I first came to thailand. Your body will be introduced to baceria that it has never seen so it might take a week or so of experimenting with food until your body can develop its own bacteria to protect you.

Someone asked what my setup is like. Im renting a nice one bedroom house for 8000 baht in Samui ($200) and I just chill out on my dsl all day and work. There is a pool next to my house (as in 2 feet away) and if I get tired of the pool I hop on my motorbike and I am at the sea 2 mins later.

You shouldnt be gambling at internet cafes but if you do it in your home then you have nothing to worry about. Yeah, gambling is illeagal here but so is DANCING for christs sakes. Yes, dancing is against the law. So is smoking indoors, etc. There are many laws that arent inforced here. Just dont tell people you are a professional gambooler and you will be fine. I cant imagine what the fine would be anyways. Maybe you have to buy the cheif of police a bottle of wisky or something?

Another great thing about Thailand is you can have anything done for you. Service is cheap. I get my heaps and heaps of laundry cleaned, ironed, and folded for $12 a month.