Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   MOD DISCUSSION (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=52)
-   -   Post deleted by Mat Sklansky (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=222300)

spartaninpr 10-13-2006 12:30 AM

Re: Ask Degen Anything About Living In Thailand

bump

dinopoker 10-13-2006 02:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I thought of another question. You guys have talked a lot about going to pool halls and such. Is there a big pool scene there? Are there tournaments and gambling and such? If so, what sort of stakes are involved? Please tell me everything you know or have observed.

[/ QUOTE ]

Pool is quite popular here, almost every bar will have a table in it. There are a number of pool halls in bangkok with professional tables and simonis cloth, pro balls, cue tec house cues, imported cues for sale etc. Hustlers included. There are money games to be found. Some Thai players are very good. There are lots of expat players too.

I recommend "Ball in Hand" near Asok BTS station or off of soi nana. Those are the best pool halls in Bangkok for 9-ball or 8-ball. There is also a nice one in Pattaya called MegaBreak. They have weekly tournaments. I think you could win like 5-8k baht for first prize. Entry is like 500 or 700 baht.

There are alot of snooker halls too. Thai guys prefer snooker. It's fun to switch it up and play snooker on a 15 foot table with tiny pockets and then go to a 9 footer at the regular pool hall and play like a God for a while.. hehe.. My Canadian friends always kicked my ass at snooker. Tough game man. I prefer 9-ball.

There are some smaller spots too. This pic below is from a place called Wave bar on Sukumvit Soi 7 They have about 7 tables.

http://img183.imageshack.us/img183/9...olsharkfc1.jpg

[/ QUOTE ]

That girl would be mine. I would then teach her not to wear sunglasses while playing pool.

Raven 10-14-2006 12:18 PM

Some kind of thai entertainment place I went last night:

http://www.hollywoodbkk.com/vdo%20cd/clip_jip.php

or http://www.hollywoodbkk.com/vdo%20cd/idex_vdo.php

(video)

What you guys think of that kind of place ?

xxThe_Lebowskixx 10-14-2006 12:25 PM

hey are wearing the samething you would see in a shopping mall, and the music is terrible.

Directrix 10-14-2006 03:05 PM

A question I don't think I've seen asked: Will I still enjoy Thailand even if I'm not the "OMG LET'S PARTAY 24/7 AND GET WAAASTED" type? This thread makes it seem like it's spring-break all year round.

I'm not a complete hermit and would occasionally like to party-it-up while I'm there, but more importantly I want to go somewhere for some peace and tranquility. Basically what I'm saying is that I want to live in a Corona commercial.

http://greedyemu.com/images/corona.jpg

john voight 10-14-2006 05:30 PM

I think if you read whole thrad you will see that Thai is perfect for non party ppl. It is also perfect for heavy party ppl. Good for both kinds.

10-14-2006 11:27 PM

Post deleted by Mat Sklansky

Directrix 10-15-2006 09:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Sure man. Sounds like Koh Phi Phi would be your spot, very laid back way of life. Most of the tourists there are in the 19-23 set. You might also like Koh Chang. I would stay totally away from Bangkok, Pattaya and Phuket however.

[/ QUOTE ]

Very cool, thank-you. Right in my age bracket too, I'll definately check those places out.

farang0 10-16-2006 01:26 AM

Here is a view from standing on my porch.
http://img144.imageshack.us/img144/7844/frontoj6.jpg

I was about to go grab some lunch but it started raining. Gota love rain season!

john voight 10-16-2006 05:41 AM

do you know anything about a plant called Kratom? It supposedly grows in Thailand and is "used by working class". Its related to opium I believe.

farang0 10-16-2006 06:21 AM

I have never heard about it until now.

Its best to stay away from drugs in Thailand. Thai jail looks a scary place.

10-16-2006 07:17 AM

fish2plus2 10-16-2006 08:38 AM

there are a bunch of plants that poor thai people chew like betel nut that are drugs. i doubt they are very exciting, because if they were, everyone would know about them.

on thaivisa.com/forum there is a sticky on sin sod!

10-16-2006 08:40 AM

fish2plus2 10-16-2006 08:44 AM

2 computers, 2 accounts. just signed in w/ diff names on each one.

donkeylove 10-17-2006 11:59 PM

i have no question...this is just my all time favorite thread and i hate to see it go [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

10-18-2006 12:04 AM

AceCR9 10-18-2006 01:41 AM

Ok. I'm thinking bout visiting in January. I've never been overseas, and I have never even organized a major trip for myself before(I do tons of road trips, normally do fine in unfamiliar places, just not used to much planning ahead of time).

What do I need to do now, 2.5 months ahead? I'm kinda clueless and don't feel like dealing with a travel agent when I have 2+2.

thanks.

farang0 10-18-2006 01:49 AM

How long is your trip going to be for?

farang0 10-18-2006 01:51 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I met the hottest Thai woman I have ever seen last night. We are going to have dinner later this week (supposedly...).

She is a stripper in Las Vegas

[/ QUOTE ]

Dating a stripper? Better make her pay for dinner.

Wait until more Thai girls find out they can move to Vegas and make 4 million baht a year.

10-18-2006 02:14 AM

john voight 10-18-2006 02:53 AM

while I dont plan going (near future) I do plan on going (far future).

How much will this cost;
[*]1 round trip ticket from SFO to BKK. Baught 8 month in advance for "best season to visit BKK"
[*]30 nights in a house/condo/apt/hotel that has two beds. Not a total dump, but not a baller pad. Something that would look "regular" in USA. Pool. Kitchen. Internet. Location should not be in heart of downtown. I need a few miles of buffer zone.
[*] 4 meals a day. 1 of the meals is delivered sushi to my pad. 1/2 galon of filtered water every day
[*] 30 days of transportation. (10 miles average trip in taxi/day) 10 miles by public transit/day
[*] 10 nights of clubbing. 12 alcahol drinks each clubbing night
[*] 10 nights of other non-free activities (non prostetution)Fight shows, museums, golf, etc..
[*] shopping; 10 DVDs, 2 "designer" suits, 2 T shirts, 1 hat, shot glass, 3 other things
[*] miscellaneous expenses (picking up school girl and spoiling her etc..)

farang0 10-18-2006 03:56 AM

Dude your asking questions that have many different answers. Prices varry greatly and we have already mentioned 'general prices' many times in this thread.

" 30 days of transportation. (10 miles average trip in taxi/day) 10 miles by public transit/day"

Where did you come up with this number?

"1 round trip ticket"

So you want one of us to do a price search online for you? How hard is it to find airfare prices?

All of the things you mentioned are extremely broad and vague questions. You can go clubbing for $20 or $200. Why do you need "a few mile buffer zone" in bangkok?

10-18-2006 04:12 AM

farang0 10-18-2006 07:11 AM

" shopping; 10 DVDs, 2 "designer" suits, 2 T shirts, 1 hat, shot glass, 3 other things"

LOL - I love how you are so concerned about the price of a SHOT GLASS. And what is '3 other things' ??

AceCR9 10-18-2006 08:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
" shopping; 10 DVDs, 2 "designer" suits, 2 T shirts, 1 hat, shot glass, 3 other things"

LOL - I love how you are so concerned about the price of a SHOT GLASS. And what is '3 other things' ??

[/ QUOTE ]

BR management nit

Thythe 10-18-2006 09:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Tonight on Guinness Book of World Records. A man who owns the current record for least amount of faces, with none. You'll also see the world's smelliest tumor. Plus, you'll meet a dog that can't predict anything. And.. three other things!

slimbob 10-18-2006 09:31 PM

I stay 2 years now in Thailand and I have for the whole time some roommates I really hate (no not drunken thai man):

ANTS!

After eating some chocolate or nuts my girlfriend has to clean up immediately or (in case shes working) after a couple of hours or so I have an antshighway in my room. They hide normally behind the sockets or behind chinks or holes in the wall.

What I do is to try rid of them with Baygon or some other spray but they come back.

You know a better measures to get rid of them or do I just have to live with this problem (what some expats told me)?

southerndog 10-19-2006 01:40 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I stay 2 years now in Thailand and I have for the whole time some roommates I really hate (no not drunken thai man):

ANTS!

After eating some chocolate or nuts my girlfriend has to clean up immediately or (in case shes working) after a couple of hours or so I have an antshighway in my room. They hide normally behind the sockets or behind chinks or holes in the wall.

What I do is to try rid of them with Baygon or some other spray but they come back.

You know a better measures to get rid of them or do I just have to live with this problem (what some expats told me)?

[/ QUOTE ]

Baby powder works ok. Or, you can get some stuff at a hardware store that works well.

john voight 10-19-2006 01:54 AM

push this thread up to 1k posts.

"10 miles day travel" = pulled out of my ass. Have no idea, rough estimate.

"buffer zone" = have an image of downtown BKK being a wild area with noise and action 24/7. I'd like to be away from the center where Im not a sardine squeezed into can. I guess a little more remote location, while still being in the hairy part.

"3 other things" = yet to find out. I guess 3 things I cant get in USA. We shall see. BR managment is correct; IM not trying to buy expensive stuff.

I agree many of my questions seem like im high/drunk/ not thiking clearly.

Raven 10-19-2006 03:17 AM

[ QUOTE ]

"buffer zone" = have an image of downtown BKK being a wild area with noise and action 24/7. I'd like to be away from the center where Im not a sardine squeezed into can. I guess a little more remote location, while still being in the hairy part.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm renting a nice 2 bedroom appartment pretty much in downtown bkk (Sukhumvit soi 2). I'm in the end of a dead-end street 5 min walk from a main artery and its very quiet most of the time. Also, you dont want to take a 1 hour taxi ride each day you want to go out or go to a nice restaurant. Bangkok is huge, and the traffic can be very slow. The nice thing about my place is that I can go to most daily places walking, and the big shopping-cinema areas are a 10 min taxi ride.

Also, most bars close at 2 am...

Ribsauce 10-19-2006 10:24 AM

if you want to live in Bangkok and are worried about transportation, live near the skytrain. it kicks total ass.

Also, why are you coming to Thailand to live in an apt for 30 days? TRAVEL Go all over. In 30 days I went to like 8 places that were awesome. I had a lot more fun than living in some apt in Bangkok for 30 days. I didn't spend a lot either, less than 2k I'm 99.9% sure

fish2plus2 10-19-2006 10:48 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm renting a nice 2 bedroom appartment pretty much in downtown bkk (Sukhumvit soi 2). I'm in the end of a dead-end street 5 min walk from a main artery and its very quiet most of the time. Also, you dont want to take a 1 hour taxi ride each day you want to go out or go to a nice restaurant. Bangkok is huge, and the traffic can be very slow. The nice thing about my place is that I can go to most daily places walking, and the big shopping-cinema areas are a 10 min taxi ride.

[/ QUOTE ]

i stayed at the atlanta hotel at the end of soi 2 for about a month when i first arrived. its a very nice little hotel and has a nice pool and resteraunt downstairs. if you dont know, a motorcycle taxi to take you to plenchit bts instead of the end of the soi, much faster than having to walk to nana BTS.

Raven 10-19-2006 03:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

i stayed at the atlanta hotel at the end of soi 2 for about a month when i first arrived. its a very nice little hotel and has a nice pool and resteraunt downstairs. if you dont know, a motorcycle taxi to take you to plenchit bts instead of the end of the soi, much faster than having to walk to nana BTS.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have a free tuk-tuk ride to sukhumvit, I'm in Amar Garden in case you know. I may try the restaurant you talk about when I want to have a quick meal. And Degen, thanks for the tip, sometimes I want another beer at 2 am, because its too damn early to end a night sometimes.

Jasper109 10-19-2006 04:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

From their website. LOL

[ QUOTE ]
The Atlanta is run on conservative principles and
fosters traditional values.
The Atlanta caters to respectable families and couples
for whom there are attractive small (one bedroom) and
large (two bedroom) suites.

SEX TOURISTS ARE NOT WELCOME
78 Soi 2 Sukhumvit Road, Bangkok 10110, Thailand

Tel: (+ 66-2) 252 6069 or 252 1650 Fax: (+ 66-2) 656 8123 or 656 8124

no e-mail
The Atlanta is an old-fashioned place of charm and genteel character
in downtown Bangkok
with the secluded and secure atmosphere of a private club
and the facilities of a small resort for sleaze-free and wholesome tourism.

Run on conservative principles and imperiously heedless of fashions and trends,
The Atlanta is untouched by pop culture and post-modern primitivism.
Its style and atmosphere hark back to gentler and more cultivated times.

The Atlanta is popular with cultured occidentals, with writers, academics, artists, cinema & theatre and other professional people, with dreamers and innocuous eccentrics, and their families, who can afford to stay at more expensive places but choose to stay at The Atlanta.

The Atlanta is against sex tourism.
Sex tourism is exploitative, socially damaging and culturally demeaning:
those who want to buy sex should do so in their own country.

The Atlanta has a 'zero tolerance' policy with regard to trouble-makers
and all illegal activities, including the use or possession of illicit drugs.
Such miscreants are reported to the police without advance warning,
without hesitation and without apology.
Those who object to this policy, and those who wish to spend their time in Thailand whoring, indulging in alcohol abuse, drugs or other illegal activities should stay elsewhere.

Tourism is not about going on a rampage through other people's country:
those who cannot go abroad without behaving badly should stay home.

[/ QUOTE ]

fish2plus2 10-19-2006 05:58 PM

yeah. its pretty funny they have a sign outside no sex tourist, and the hotel is in the red light district. it is very cheap for that area which was important to me when i first got there. they could easily charge 2-3 times the prices. maybe its non-profit, i have no idea. there is a church at the end of the soi too.

Uston 10-21-2006 05:28 PM

Are both major airports currently in operation or has the Don Muang airport shut down?

Also, can someone recommend a hotel in Bangkok? A two-bedroom suite would be ideal, as would being walking distance of a lot of stores and restaurants. My housing budget will be between $800-$1,000 per month. I'll likely be all over Bangkok in my first month in Thailand but I'd like to book a place for the first night or two since I have to connect with a friend of mine who flies in ten hours later than I.

fish2plus2 10-21-2006 05:42 PM

Don Muang is shut down.

10-21-2006 06:06 PM

Slappz 10-21-2006 06:30 PM

Degen, whats the best way to get to Phuket from the States? Should i fly into Bangkok and get a flight from there or try to get a flight from Malaysia since they are so close?