Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Stud (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=22)
-   -   Anyone else play $1-$2 HORSE at FTP? (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=542282)

Hamlet 11-09-2007 04:35 PM

Anyone else play $1-$2 HORSE at FTP?

I've been playing this HORSE game for the last couple weeks because I'm unable to maintain enough discipline to beat the $1-$2 Holdem games (too boring). I'm not good enough to beat the bigger online games, so I've moved to this HORSE game.

Is it just me, or do people play pretty bad in this game? I'm up about 150 BBs, and that includes a fair number of hands each session where I'm actually confused about which game we're playing. It's Stud/8? I thought we were still playing High-Only.

I'm not great at these games, but the variety has made it much easier to maintain my interest. I've found that the O/8, Razz, and Stud/8 rounds are often very soft.

RustyBrooks 11-09-2007 04:37 PM

Re: Anyone else play $1-$2 HORSE at FTP?

I'm working my way up to it, playing more stud/8 and stud hi. I would not be surprised if they were pretty soft. Each of the individual games at 1/2 is pretty soft except last time I played limit holdem I would not have classified it as necessarily easy money.

Andy B 11-10-2007 01:52 PM

Having watched you play a few times, I'm willing to chalk your success up to blind luck. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Hamlet 11-11-2007 03:21 AM

I've survived playing poker for so long because of one beautiful truism:

In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is King.

[ QUOTE ]
Having watched you play a few times, I'm willing to chalk your success up to blind luck. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Andy B 11-11-2007 03:49 AM

I thought that you survived playing poker because you get paid every two weeks. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Zagga 11-11-2007 06:11 AM

I reguary play 2-4, 3-6 and 5-10 HORSE on FTP, not 1-2 though, that's way too low for me to not get bored as hell:D

AlanBostick 11-11-2007 05:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I've survived playing poker for so long because of one beautiful truism:

In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is King.

[/ QUOTE ]

Anyone who can see, on the other hand, knows the one-eyed man is Jack.

ChipsAhoya 11-11-2007 06:23 PM

The low limit horse games are amazing. I played them for 2 months or so to work my roll up to taking a shot at 5/10 in razz which turned into a shot at 20/40 razz which put me where I am now. (stuck $4000 at 5/10 six-max HE ldo)

-ChipsAhoya

RustyBrooks 11-11-2007 07:28 PM

I've never had the balls to ask in BBV. WTF is LDO?

Maybe I should try out horse.

ChipsAhoya 11-11-2007 08:01 PM

LDO = like, duh, obv. Clearly the stud section is the most intelligent because I heard it from SG...

Holy [censored] try out HORSE. Cherry pick the razz games at the very least...

-ChipsAhoya

RustyBrooks 11-11-2007 09:18 PM

I have a theory about why I do so well at .5/1 and not that well at 1/2 and it has to do exactly with cherry picking. I play so many hands a week that a lot of them are tables that are not really that great. However, I am never going to play .5/1 unless I know the conditions are favorable. Maybe I should just play a lot less hands total and only play when it looks great. Except, I love poker. That's one reason I'm branching out... should be easier to find 2 great tables among stud, stud/8, and razz than to find 2 great razz tables (out of the 2-3 available...)

Anyway I put in about 2k hands of stud/8 this month so I am feeling more comfortable with that, which was the last thing I was really worried about. I suck at stud but not as much as most people seem to (2 pair is the nuts! I raise!)

ChipsAhoya 11-11-2007 09:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
LDO = like, duh, obv. Clearly the stud section is the most intelligent because I heard it from SG...

Holy [censored] try out HORSE. Cherry pick the razz games at the very least...

-ChipsAhoya

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh, I meant cherry pick the razz games out of the HORSE rotation if that wasn't originally clear.

-ChipsAhoya

RustyBrooks 11-11-2007 09:32 PM

Ah. Well I play so freakin tight in razz that I probably won't be able to take advantage of it as much as I could. Also, I'm probably more skilled at limit holdem although everyone else probably is also. No Omaha/8 in horse [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

ChipsAhoya 11-11-2007 09:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
No Omaha/8 in horse [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

??? That's what the O is...

-ChipsAhoya

RustyBrooks 11-11-2007 09:58 PM

I thought it was omaha hi?

RustyBrooks 11-11-2007 10:00 PM

I just checked full tilt, theirs at least is O8. Awesome.

ChipsAhoya 11-11-2007 10:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Lol @ limit omaha hi... I don't think anyone's ever played that...

-ChipsAhoya

Alchemist 11-11-2007 10:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Lol @ limit omaha hi... I don't think anyone's ever played that...

-ChipsAhoya

[/ QUOTE ]

Stars spreads it. In fact there's someone sitting alone at a $2/4 table right now. Go show him up!

RustyBrooks 11-11-2007 10:07 PM

Well, look up the definition of HORSE online...

http://poker.about.com/od/pokervariations/g/HORSE.htm
http://www.macpokeronline.com/rule/poker/horse/
http://www.playwinningpoker.com/poke...naments/horse/

Not that it means anything, but I'm not the only person who thought the O was omaha-hi

FTP has limit omaha hi tables but no one plays it.

xxeximusxx 11-11-2007 10:16 PM

i usually play horse but sitout the lh and o8.

limit holdem puts me on such major tilt at this level. is it really standard to never fold ace high and call down with king high like 80 percent of the time

RustyBrooks 11-11-2007 10:20 PM

If it is, it should be very easy to exploit opponents [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] I have never played LHE in a horse context so I don't really know. If a hand is heads up when we see the flop I'm taking a dry A to the river sometimes. LHE is kind of what gives BBV the ammo for it's funny limit pictures ("I THREE BET").

RustyBrooks 11-11-2007 10:29 PM

Is it really profitable to like auto-fold 40% of the hands? Or do you still play super premium hands like big pairs, AK AQ, and AA23ds in O8? I'm curious. Before people told me to just play and sort of ignore the games I don't know, but it seems unlikely you could make money that way, unless, I guess, they're just givin it away.

roggles 11-11-2007 10:45 PM

Uhm, not playing hands in H and O is terrible. Think about how many BB / 100 you lose if you just pay the blinds.

roggles 11-11-2007 10:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
is it really standard to never fold ace high and call down with king high like 80 percent of the time

[/ QUOTE ]
At this level? I don't think you understand limit hold em if you think "these donks are just calling you too much" and you're really the better player. If you're bluffing and they call you down light they're beating you

RustyBrooks 11-11-2007 10:51 PM

Also you are possibly folding way too many winning hands. There are 2 reasons someone calls down with A high:
* It's good often enough
* They leak money like a sieve

It's easy to tell who's in the second category, soon enough.

ChipsAhoya 11-11-2007 10:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Is it really profitable to like auto-fold 40% of the hands? Or do you still play super premium hands like big pairs, AK AQ, and AA23ds in O8? I'm curious. Before people told me to just play and sort of ignore the games I don't know, but it seems unlikely you could make money that way, unless, I guess, they're just givin it away.

[/ QUOTE ]

Huh?

RustyBrooks 11-11-2007 10:55 PM

If someone says they "sit out" holdem and omaha, this means they're autofolding 2 out of 5 hands, right? (re: xxeximusxx's comment above)

roggles 11-11-2007 11:01 PM

When you sit out you're not dealt any hands, and you don't pay the blinds. It's not like you can sit in for the stud games and then play hold em without starting as the big blind

RustyBrooks 11-11-2007 11:03 PM

Ah, I see, literally sit out. What happens when you come back in? If you mis-time it are you having to post, or wait?

RustyBrooks 11-11-2007 11:04 PM

So like, what percentage of the table is sitting out at any given time? If everyone sits out holdem, does the game just stop and 2 of you have to suck it up and play HU?

ChipsAhoya 11-11-2007 11:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Ah, I see, literally sit out. What happens when you come back in? If you mis-time it are you having to post, or wait?

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh, I was confused, too. AQ and big pairs aren't really premium O8 hands, though. The button stays on the table, so as long as you paid a blind how many ever hands ago you don't have to post even if you didn't play any of the stud games.

-ChipsAhoya

roggles 11-11-2007 11:09 PM

The dealer button is frozen during the ante games, if that answers your question. So if new people sit down during the ante games they are treated as if they sat down during a hold em hand with the dealer button in the corresponding place.

So you can play ante games only and sit out for 20 hands for H and O without paying any additional fees.

A lot of people sit out in HORSE games, which is frustrating. Sorry, you shouldn't be allowed to sit out for HO and then play RSE IMO. That's not the point of mixed games. If everybody sits out the game stops yes.

ChipsAhoya 11-11-2007 11:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The dealer button is frozen during the ante games, if that answers your question. So if new people sit down during the ante games they are treated as if they sat down during a hold em hand with the dealer button in the corresponding place.

So you can play ante games only and sit out for 20 hands for H and O without paying any additional fees.

A lot of people sit out in HORSE games, which is frustrating. Sorry, you shouldn't be allowed to sit out for HO and then play RSE IMO. That's not the point of mixed games. If everybody sits out the game stops yes.

[/ QUOTE ]

Right, I forgot to mention to not be a dick... Sometimes I'll leave after the razz rotation whether that was 40 hands I've played or 10, but I never just sit there sitting out. One time some jerk who was supposed to be the BB sat out for the last hand of O/8 so I had to pay the blind, then sat back in for the razz games.

-ChipsAhoya

RustyBrooks 11-11-2007 11:20 PM

I speak english bad. It's my first language though. I meant big pairs, AQ in holdem, and AA23ds in O8. I'm not an O8 genius but I've played enough to know that a hand containing AQ is not automaticlly playable [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

RustyBrooks 11-11-2007 11:21 PM

I don't (yet) have an opinion about sitting out, but I do tend to ask myself, sometimes: would this make people want to punch me if I did it in a live game?

roggles 11-11-2007 11:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Right, I forgot to mention to not be a dick... Sometimes I'll leave after the razz rotation whether that was 40 hands I've played or 10, but I never just sit there sitting out. One time some jerk who was supposed to be the BB sat out for the last hand of O/8 so I had to pay the blind, then sat back in for the razz games.

-ChipsAhoya

[/ QUOTE ]
I do this always if I know I am not going to have time to play HO later :O

ChipsAhoya 11-11-2007 11:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't (yet) have an opinion about sitting out, but I do tend to ask myself, sometimes: would this make people want to punch me if I did it in a live game?

[/ QUOTE ]

The answer, is yes. Roggles don't make me come after you...

-ChipsAhoya

Andy B 11-12-2007 02:07 AM

If you say "Omaha" in any card-room in America, people will understand you to mean limit Omaha high-low with the Eight-or-Better qualifier. "Omaha" is generally understood to mean O/8 in any limit context. Limit, high-only Omaha is almost never played. Stars offers it, but there are zero money games going as I write this.

From what I understand, if you say "Omaha" in England, they will understand that to mean pot-limit Omaha, high-only.

Andy B 11-12-2007 02:15 AM

Sitting out 40% of the time is just plain rude. What if everyone did it? What makes you so damned special? I mostly play live, and when there are too many players walking, folks start complaining, especially the live ones. Who is it you want to keep happy? Well, everybody in an ideal world, but especially the live ones.

Learn how to play LHE. It ain't that hard. Get Ed Miller's book and maybe a couple of others and get in there and gamble some. It's not a bad game, and that's where most of the money is going to be in the not-too-distant future. And yeah, bluffing can be pretty futile. The flip side of that is that you can value-bet people relentlessly.

O/8 is a pretty easy game when six people see the flop. You either have the nuts, a draw to the nuts, or garbage. Sometimes the current nuts ain't so great. With a lot of two- and three-way pots, you have to actually play poker, and I hemorrhage money for the most part.

RustyBrooks 11-12-2007 12:40 PM

Forgive me for more of my HORSE noobery but do you guys use PT for this? If so, do you have all 3 open at once? What a pain in the ass. On the plus side if I start playing HORSE there will be a HORSE and a Omaha HUD available relatively soon. And probably simulators for all HORSE games.