Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   MTT Strategy (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   Did I play this right? (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=544028)

408w8lifter 11-12-2007 01:29 AM

Did I play this right?

Anything I could maybe do different? My thinking was it would be a good spot to chip up, no real reads on the raiser it was my fourth hand at a new table. I'm really debating if I should have re-popped preflop, but then I only win a small pot if he folds. Didn't go well obv. Thoughts?

PokerStars Game #13188238949: Tournament #66049176, $50+$5 Hold'em No Limit - Level VI (100/200) - 2007/11/11 - 23:03:49 (ET)
Table '66049176 134' 9-max Seat #1 is the button
Seat 1: Rueggler (5310 in chips)
Seat 2: humphrey (6990 in chips)
Seat 3: HERO (7995 in chips)
Seat 4: dazinaz (9101 in chips)
Seat 5: luisfran (4855 in chips)
Seat 6: garage13 (5410 in chips)
Seat 7: zamr00 (8840 in chips)
Seat 8: txhold04 (5210 in chips)
Seat 9: bunnygoil (7425 in chips)
humphrey: posts small blind 100
HERO: posts big blind 200
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to HERO [Kh Kd]
dazinaz: calls 200
luisfran: folds
garage13: folds
zamr00: folds
txhold04: folds
bunnygoil: raises 400 to 600
Rueggler: folds
humphrey: folds
HERO: calls 400
dazinaz: calls 400
*** FLOP *** [7h 9s 2d]
HERO: checks
dazinaz: checks
bunnygoil: bets 1400
HERO: raises 5995 to 7395 and is all-in
dazinaz: folds
bunnygoil: calls 5425 and is all-in
*** TURN *** [7h 9s 2d] [Th]
*** RIVER *** [7h 9s 2d Th] [Tc]
*** SHOW DOWN ***
HERO: shows [Kh Kd] (two pair, Kings and Tens)
bunnygoil: shows [2h 2c] (a full house, Deuces full of Tens)
bunnygoil collected 15550 from pot
*** SUMMARY ***
Total pot 15550 | Rake 0
Board [7h 9s 2d Th Tc]
Seat 1: Rueggler (button) folded before Flop (didn't bet)
Seat 2: humphrey (small blind) folded before Flop
Seat 3: HERO (big blind) showed [Kh Kd] and lost with two pair, Kings and Tens
Seat 4: dazinaz folded on the Flop
Seat 5: luisfran folded before Flop (didn't bet)
Seat 6: garage13 folded before Flop (didn't bet)
Seat 7: zamr00 folded before Flop (didn't bet)
Seat 8: txhold04 folded before Flop (didn't bet)
Seat 9: bunnygoil showed [2h 2c] and won (15550) with a full house, Deuces full of Tens

23Suited 11-12-2007 01:47 AM

Re: Did I play this right?

First of all I would like to point on that this should not be your normal line of play... the re-raise preflop should be your normal line... however, If you are a bit of a LAG who makes preflop calls of opening raises on a fairly consistant basis at this stage of the tourney then I think not taking this line from time to time is a mistake... just wanted to make it clear that normally your best play is to just re-raise... you can see why (from the results of this hand) him folding and you taking down a "small pot" (your words... I think the pot is reasonable in relation to your stack) can be a great thing... anyways as played I think your probably folding out c-bets and alot of hands you want to second barrel here some for value and some as bluffs... so I like calling the 1400 and crai on the turn if you still believe you were ahead (obviously you werent here but apparantly did not pick up a read that he had a set... the turn will actually give you potential to pick up additional tells such a a betting pattern read or a timing tell etc... etc)... anyways I hope that helps... there really isnt much else to say... you played for a big pot and got what you wanted... this time however you allowed an opponent to outdraw you by not punishing he preflop raiser... you have to decide if the juice is worth the squeeze for yourself...

Edit - I feel like I should comment that this is an advanced play and requires a unique skill set including good reading abilites in order to pull off successfully

Edit2 - Also you normally want to make this play against a more predictable player or one who is overly aggressive postflop... in general you need to have good reason to deviate from the norm here...

yNnOs 11-12-2007 01:48 AM

Use HH converter, change format to 2+2 forums:
http://poker-tools.flopturnriver.com/Hand-Converter.php

I would've repopped to 2K, you can't let in another player (dazinaz) with odds. If no one calls, you prob wouldn't have made anything slowplaying anyway. If he does call, you make a cont, he raises and you're committed. Same outcome, but you denied odds when you needed to.

erc007 11-12-2007 01:50 AM

In the future, don't post results. This is actually a BB post, with or w/out the results. I wouldn't flatcall OOP here after an EP limper and a small raise. U really don't want a 3-way pot OOP. If u make it 1800-2400, it is impossible for smaller PP's to play correctly (since they're not getting proper implied odds.) I'd only flatcall In position, and if MP raiser was very aggro on the flop (ie; c-bets close to 100% of the time.)

In general, flatcalling with monsters is FPS in SSMMT's. It's ok to practice it, but u have to realize that it's rarely the most EV+ play. This situation IMO was not good one to slowplay KK.

23Suited 11-12-2007 01:58 AM

[ QUOTE ]
In general, flatcalling with monsters is FPS in SSMMT's. It's ok to practice it, but u have to realize that it's rarely the most EV+ play. This situation IMO was not good one to slowplay KK.

[/ QUOTE ]

my post may have been to long because I was trying to explain situations where you could make this play profitably... I agree with the above quote and thats all I really needed to say...

[ QUOTE ]
My thinking was it would be a good spot to chip up

[/ QUOTE ]

Basically this isn't good enough reasoning to make this play...

yNnOs 11-12-2007 02:30 AM

I only flatcall here if no limpers, and villain is aggro postflop.

408w8lifter 11-12-2007 03:58 AM

[ QUOTE ]
In the future, don't post results. This is actually a BB post, with or w/out the results. I wouldn't flatcall OOP here after an EP limper and a small raise. U really don't want a 3-way pot OOP. If u make it 1800-2400, it is impossible for smaller PP's to play correctly (since they're not getting proper implied odds.) I'd only flatcall In position, and if MP raiser was very aggro on the flop (ie; c-bets close to 100% of the time.)

[/ QUOTE ]

Great advice ty. So basically my instinct to re-raise was correct mostly because of the limper. The raiser I had no read on, was my fourth hand at the table.