Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Science, Math, and Philosophy (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=49)
-   -   how many people would you kill to save your child's life? (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=521534)

xxThe_Lebowskixx 10-12-2007 01:57 PM

how many people would you kill to save your child\'s life?

i think this thread might have been done before, but not in this forum. You can push a button and it will kill a bunch of random or your child dies. What is the highest number of people you would kill to save your child?

gumpzilla 10-12-2007 02:11 PM

Re: how many people would you kill to save your child\'s life?

I think this question is kinda dumb. The human moral sense is not adapted to deal with this, and so I think a lot of what we spit out on the subject is just garbage.

RoundGuy 10-12-2007 02:17 PM

What a silly question. Except for my wife, there is no one on the face of this Earth I'd save before my kids. So, I guess the answer is 6 billion or so.

CORed 10-12-2007 02:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i think this thread might have been done before, but not in this forum. You can push a button and it will kill a bunch of random or your child dies. What is the highest number of people you would kill to save your child?

[/ QUOTE ]

I think for most parents, the answer is, "as many as it takes."

tpir 10-12-2007 02:57 PM

I would have to go with zero. I would not want other people pushing buttons that could randomly kill me and my family, so I won't push the same button when offered. Obviously if i was there on the spot and my kid was screaming and yelling and about to die I might change my mind. But in the general case, I don't feel qualified to make the judgment as to when X is a high or low enough number to be OK.

Sephus 10-12-2007 03:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I would have to go with zero. I would not want other people pushing buttons that could randomly kill me and my family, so I won't push the same button when offered.

[/ QUOTE ]

sidetrack: would you push a button that gives you a billion dollars cash?

tpir 10-12-2007 03:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I would have to go with zero. I would not want other people pushing buttons that could randomly kill me and my family, so I won't push the same button when offered.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
If I knew the billion dollars was going to be compiled by randomly stealing it from other people, no.

Sephus 10-12-2007 03:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
If I knew the billion dollars was going to be compiled by randomly stealing it from other people, no.

[/ QUOTE ]

it's conjured out of thin air.

pokervintage 10-12-2007 03:32 PM

Well, I'm not sure how many, but you would certainly be first on the list.

pokervintage

tame_deuces 10-12-2007 03:34 PM

Do I have to stop pushing after my child is saved?