Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Psychology (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   going pro (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=386009)

TheChad 04-23-2007 08:33 AM

going pro

I just had a thought/question.
Have any of you all when playing poker just sort of "became" a pro? I'm thinking in the way that you just fell into it and never really decided to do it.
I'm no pro by any means, but I'm finding that more bills are paid by poker than by my actual job.

johnnyrocket 04-23-2007 02:24 PM

Re: going pro

u gradually win more and can fall into it i guess, its not usually just one day unless u win a huge tourney, its a gradual process over time.

TheChad 04-23-2007 04:03 PM

yeah, something like that. you just keep playing and playing. You study and make reads and win pots. pretty soon, you "wake up" and you're like, whoa! I'm a pro!?!?

PokerNewbie 04-23-2007 04:27 PM

how long have you been playing? sometimes you can wake up and think that you're playing great when in reality your on the good side of variance.

that's a mistake I have seen .any make...

best of luck at the tables!

elena_elphie 04-23-2007 04:28 PM

I did. I started playing poker in April 2004 after finishing a horrendous software contract. I was planning to take a few months off to figure out what I wanted to do next. Then after a few months I was making a small amount playing poker and it was time to go back to work again, but I became severely ill, I could barely breathe. I was misdiagnosed with asthma, and then in December 2004 finally diagnosed with Non-Hodgkins Lymphoma which had already metastisized. The docs gave me a 50/50 chance and I didn't want to get a job while doing chemo, and especially if I was going to potentially be dead soon, so I played poker for my sole source of income during those months.

The treatment lasted six months, I thankfully seem to have won the coin flip, and by the time I was done I could make enough money to live on, and didn't get a job again. Though, I'm getting kind of bored at this point and I'm trying to figure out what my next step is.

TheChad 04-23-2007 05:22 PM

wow, congrats elena! I'm happy for you! I have asthma (not life-threatening at the moment) and I've known several people who have had cancer of some sort so I know a little about where you're coming from.
Kudos for you!

Humble Pie 04-23-2007 10:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
how long have you been playing?

[/ QUOTE ]

TheChad 04-24-2007 04:31 PM

I learned about 6 years ago, but I've been working on becoming a "good" player for about 3 years. Its only been recently that I've found myself paying bills/rent/etc with poker winnings. And yes, your good point about variance is noted, but I feel as though when I'm on the downswing - I'm still able to afford lunches and coffee.
I dunno, this whole thing about living off of what most people call gambling is just new to me. And I'm rather excited about it.

hornpout 04-24-2007 11:29 PM

track your results over a years time and have living expenses accounted for for (at least) six months. unless you work disposable jobs, then and only then, try it.

cwar 04-25-2007 12:23 AM

I dropped out of college to play online with a $1300 roll. Im doing great now, best decision I ever made.