Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Sporting Events (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=48)
-   -   Tony Larussa DUI Arrest (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=557174)

88jayhawks 11-29-2007 11:52 AM

Tony Larussa DUI Arrest

The Video

HajiShirazu 11-29-2007 11:56 AM

Re: Tony Larussa DUI Arrest

PURE GOLD

kidcolin 11-29-2007 12:10 PM

.093 ain't awful, right? He actually handled himself pretty well.

wh1t3bread 11-29-2007 12:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Except for the whole passing out beyond the wheel in the middle of an intersection, not walking in a straight line and reciting an alphabet with about 100 letters in it. Yeah he did pretty well.

JaredL 11-29-2007 12:25 PM

I always find the alphabet thing amazing. I feel like I've been too drunk to recite the alphabet a handful of times and in that spot I could barely walk and don't think I could operate a car at all.

I guess you're under pressure, but it's the freaking alphabet.

Tyler Durden 11-29-2007 12:27 PM

Tony LaRussa drives a Ford?

DVaut1 11-29-2007 12:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Since he was "passed out" at the wheel when the cops found him and he's an old manager/former player but didn't blow that much over the legal limit, my total guess here is he probably was probably a little drunk + on some kind of pain killer. The "passing out" and "looking much drunker than you would otherwise" effect is probably an acute reaction to the mixing of some alcohol + meds. Just a guess.

kidcolin 11-29-2007 12:29 PM

whitebread,

I didn't mean he wasn't that drunk. I asked about the .093 thing because I was expecting higher based on his walk/alphabet skills.

By handling himself pretty well, I meant a big famous dude could've handled it a bit differntly.

prohornblower 11-29-2007 12:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

To be fair, he never finished as high as 126th at the WSOP. He's got money but he ain't no mad balla like people who finish 126th in Main Events.

Tyler Durden 11-29-2007 12:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

To be fair, he never finished as high as 126th at the WSOP. He's got money but he ain't no mad balla like people who finish 126th in Main Events.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's kinda dumb. His salary is way higher than the $15,000 one would receive for finishing 126th in the 2004 WSOP ME.

DesertCat 11-29-2007 12:35 PM

I hate/love TL. Smart, arrogant, sensitive, prickly, loyal, bullheaded, occasionally humble, visionary, knee jerk reactionary, he's a fascinating package. Its so ironic that a writer wrote a book about him to debunk sabermetrics.

O Fen�meno 11-29-2007 12:37 PM

i thought this was tony siragusa for a second. i was like he is a big boy and probably needs like a 30 just to get going

tuq 11-29-2007 12:39 PM

Looking at that video, it appears his first mistake is that he pulled the cop over.

DesertCat 11-29-2007 12:46 PM

Spring training rental car.

MicroBob 11-29-2007 12:56 PM

desert - my thoughts too. I would guess he gets a rental during spring-training.
Although some do take measures so that they can have their own vehicle for the 6+ wks they're down there.
I know a guy who got paid to drive a Reds player's SUV or whatever back to Cincinnati after spring-training concluded.

That alphabet thing is REALLY freaking bad.
And like our recent discussion about DUI in OOT, don't forget that it's not just comically stupid. LaRussa was actually driving his vehicle in that condition and only has dumb luck to credit for not hurting/killing himself or someone else.

wh1t3bread 11-29-2007 01:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
whitebread,
I didn't mean he wasn't that drunk. I asked about the .093 thing because I was expecting higher based on his walk/alphabet skills.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well if you look at the time lapses almost 2 hours passed between when he did the roadside tests and when he took the breathalyser. He was likely way higher than .093 when he attempted to walk in a straight line and recited the "alphabet".

Vyse 11-29-2007 01:10 PM

that's why you refuse the tests and wait til you're downtown and they pool your blood or something ^^

moayer 11-29-2007 03:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

That's kinda dumb. His salary is way higher than the $15,000 one would receive for finishing 126th in the 2004 WSOP ME.

[/ QUOTE ]

in 1998 i worked @ a gas station/car wash. tony larussa came in for a fill up & wash. he was driving a stock green suburban.

he may not be into fancy cars. though he does care about pets.

Case Closed 11-29-2007 03:29 PM

I want to go to a cubs cards game next year with the alphabet he said written out on a sign.

abcdefhijkmnizmnopzqrstuvvztuvxyxyxz

Vyse 11-29-2007 03:34 PM

Dude, that'd be awesome.

Sampson26 11-29-2007 03:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]

That's kinda dumb. His salary is way higher than the $3.5mil one would receive for finishing 2nd in the 2004 WSOP ME.

[/ QUOTE ]

F poker, major league managing is where its at.

prohornblower 11-29-2007 03:36 PM

I have to admit that would be pretty hilarious.

EDIT: You can tell he was trying to get to the end of is because he tried the letter "Z" 4 times. lol.

xorbie 11-29-2007 03:39 PM

I hope he spends a while in prison, but acknowledge that this is unlikely to be the case. He's also a really [censored] manager, so I know my Cardinal supporting friends would support this as well.

JordanIB 11-29-2007 04:05 PM

LOL, "What would be really high for a number...that would get your really concerned?"

LMNIZ!

88jayhawks 11-29-2007 06:00 PM

my friend got pulled over for DUI and he gave he cop a big speech about how the area was not properly lit and could not perform the test to his best ability. they took him downtown and he passed and the DUI taken off his record.

his fraternity hired a lawyer to speak for them and the lawyer told everyone if they got pulled over to say this speech, it actually worked.

RickAstleyFan 11-29-2007 06:33 PM

But LaRussa was a lawyer before he was a manager, wouldn't you think he should have been smart enough to refuse to take those tests?

RacersEdge 11-29-2007 06:39 PM

That's funny, becasue if anyone saw the last episode of Intervention, the alcoholic lady knew that the "lmnop" part of the alphabet was the part where "they get you". I guess she knows her DUI [censored].

Bump_Bailey 11-29-2007 07:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I want to go to a cubs cards game next year with the alphabet he said written out on a sign.

abcdefhijkmnizmnopzqrstuvvztuvxyxyxz

[/ QUOTE ]

I bet there will be some Cards fans at Busch with something like that.

DesertCat 11-29-2007 08:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I hope he spends a while in prison, but acknowledge that this is unlikely to be the case. He's also a really [censored] manager, so I know my Cardinal supporting friends would support this as well.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'll bet anything your friends are bummed Dusty is off the market.

MicroBob 11-29-2007 08:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
But LaRussa was a lawyer before he was a manager, wouldn't you think he should have been smart enough to refuse to take those tests?

[/ QUOTE ]

If he's not in a condition to even say the alphabet then I'm guessing there's a good chance he's not going to think of technical ways to try to get out of it.

I also wonder if administering such tests can be considered closer to mandatory for someone found in his condition.
This kind of stuff almost has to vary from state to state I would think.

Boris 11-29-2007 09:10 PM

how is tony larussa a visionary brilliant manager again?

DesertCat 11-30-2007 01:06 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

He keeps under .08 until the game is over.

hoyasnaxa 11-30-2007 01:20 AM

uhhhhh VZ 2VZxyxz

MuresanForMVP 11-30-2007 01:24 AM

hahahaha the recitation of the alphabet was awesome. atta boy Tony!

kyleb 11-30-2007 01:49 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

OMFG HE INVENTED THE CLOSER ROLE AND SPECIALIZATION AND PLATOON EFFECTS AND BATTING THE PITCHER EIGHTH

moayer 11-30-2007 02:56 PM

http://www.danburymint.com/images/ot...hamps-logo.jpg