Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Computer Technical Help (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=50)
-   -   computer won't start (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=361995)

hedxcold 03-23-2007 12:00 AM

computer won\'t start

i pretty much kept my computer on all the time, then went away so i had it off for 4 days. i come back and try to turn it on but nothing happens. i figure its the power supply but don't have a chance to mess with it until now

i unplugged a wire from the power supply into the motherboard, took out the little battery on the motherboard and let it diffuse or whatever. after putting it all back and trying to start it up now i notice theres a red light on on the motherboard, but it still won't boot up.

so i guess its not completely a power supply issue, but what else could it be? please someone help

SuperNooB 03-23-2007 12:13 AM

Re: computer won\'t start

Desk Top Computer? try taking out the power supply and take in to a Comp shop have them test it - or take the Comp in and they can usually tell you right away whats wrong -GL

hedxcold 03-23-2007 12:16 AM

yea its a desktop. this is my motherboard

http://us.dfi.com.tw/Product/xx_product_...613&SITE=US

goldtoes 03-23-2007 01:11 AM

supernoob, no offense...but I see you are pretty new and I have been reading a lot of your posts - maybe you should look to BBV or OOT to get your post count up instead of spewing [censored] here.

OP: When you say that it doesn't do anything...can you specify what exactly it doesn't do? nothing turns on at all, no hard disks, fans, etc.

this will help. some people say this when the computer turns on but they don't get a display on the monitor, etc - so just want to clarify before we troubleshoot.

hedxcold 03-23-2007 01:32 AM

nope, nothing happens at all. i'm starting to think it might be some connection with the power button, because according the manuals the light that goes on is the standby light.

i also found this thread...
http://www.hardforum.com/archive/ind...t-1043947.html

[ QUOTE ]

Found the trouble with me system not reacting in any way to my power button...the lead coming off the switch had somehow been broken so pushing the button effectively did diddly. Got the leads re-soldered on and everything on that front is hunky dorry...

[/ QUOTE ]

i'm trying to mess around with my power button connection, but the way my power supply/case is, its a real pain to get to

is there another way i can power it on? the manual doesn't mention a power switch on the motherboard anywhere

SuperNooB 03-23-2007 01:43 AM

goldentoes - why dont you give some advice on how to fix his computer instead of being a WANKER - and worrying about my posts - and yes hedxcold - ill bet you 99% your power supply is shot - get a new one - before the FN thing blows up! -If you have some burnt out transisters you'll have a fire -GL

SuperNooB 03-23-2007 01:56 AM

Oh and hedxcold you can take the power supply out your self - get a screwdriver take it apart and look for burnouts - and by taking it in the tech they will use a voltage meter -to test it - you could also get another Computer from a friend or somthing and try your power supply on that - use a process of ilimination - test each of your - parts hook up your Hard Drive - see if that works - then your Vid Card - then your mother board - etc - GL

goldtoes 03-23-2007 08:50 AM

SuperNoob is right for once in saying that it is most likely your power supply. Just replace it, especially because it is a very affordable part. DO NOT however, as SuperNOOB suggested, take the power supply apart to look inside for burnouts. You do not want to mess around with the inside of a power supply because even when not plugged in that mother fuker will kill you.

kerowo 03-23-2007 09:26 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Oh and hedxcold you can take the power supply out your self - get a screwdriver take it apart and look for burnouts - and by taking it in the tech they will use a voltage meter -to test it - you could also get another Computer from a friend or somthing and try your power supply on that - use a process of ilimination - test each of your - parts hook up your Hard Drive - see if that works - then your Vid Card - then your mother board - etc - GL

[/ QUOTE ]

Just take the thing into a computer shop and let them fix it. Unless you have more knowledge of electronics than you are letting on taking an actual power supply apart is perhaps the dumbest advice I've ever heard.

goldtoes 03-23-2007 09:50 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Just don't listen to SuperNoob ... he gives perhaps the dumbest advice I've ever heard.

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP