Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Other Poker Games (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   quick question (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=505476)

tmcdmck 09-20-2007 03:18 PM

quick question

i know this has been asked before, but i cant find the post or remember the answers. which poker variants give a skilled player the biggest edge against a fish?

hitch1978 09-20-2007 03:55 PM

Re: quick question

According to some books NLHE.

MarkGritter 09-20-2007 04:16 PM

A skilled but dishonest player? NL 5-card draw. It's easy to give somebody a strong second-best hand and clean them out.

Otherwise I pick California Lowball; few other games give you so many opportunities to draw dead.

Hold'em is a game engineered to give the sucker an occasional win.

2461Badugi 09-20-2007 05:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Otherwise I pick California Lowball; few other games give you so many opportunities to draw dead.

[/ QUOTE ]

Really? I think I'd rather pick hi/lo regular.

HOWMANY 09-20-2007 06:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Hold'em is a game engineered to give the sucker the ability to run well against great players for longer than seems humanly possible.

[/ QUOTE ]

iron81 09-20-2007 07:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
My vote is for PLO8. Split games and big bet games are generally lower variance than otherwise.

Biggle10 09-20-2007 07:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
My vote is for PLO8. Split games and big bet games are generally lower variance than otherwise.

[/ QUOTE ]

Variance and edge are different aren't they?

spike420211 09-23-2007 12:33 AM

basic quikkie definishuns:

edge: skill/position/hand advantage over opponents

variance:amount that your stack/bankroll increases/decreases

MarkGritter 09-23-2007 01:01 AM

[ QUOTE ]
basic quikkie definishuns:

edge: skill/position/hand advantage over opponents

variance:amount that your stack/bankroll increases/decreases

[/ QUOTE ]

This is an awful definition of variance. Variance is about variation in how much you win or lose, not about whether you win or lose. You could be the world's poker player and have very little variance.

Al Mirpuri 09-25-2007 10:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i know this has been asked before, but i cant find the post or remember the answers. which poker variants give a skilled player the biggest edge against a fish?

[/ QUOTE ]

Sklanksy tackled the question of which game required most skill in 'Sklanksy on Poker' and he came out for seven stud hilo with a declaration. This seemed to be because a skilled player could win half the pot by going in the opposite direction to the other two players...

However, whether this question is the same as yours, I am not sure.