Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Video Games (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=77)
-   -   Madden Improvements (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=549080)

Zimmer4141 11-18-2007 04:46 PM

Madden Improvements

I don't know how many other people play Madden here, but there are still a couple of things that bug me a lot about Madden.

-The kicking game has to be fixed. Every kickoff can be kicked through the endzone with every kicker, and you can easily make a 60-63 yard FG with almost any kicker in the game.

-No vision field at all for Defensive backs. Here is the example I am talking about. I had 4-wide, 2 to the left, 2 to the right. Outside receiver is running a streak, slot receiver is running an out. Defense is in man coverage. At point A, Defensive back turns his back to run with his receiver. When Defensive back is at point B, I throw the ball to the slot receiver who beat his man at the break. The Defensive back who had his back turned turns around, steps in front of the out route, and picks the ball off.

http://img126.imageshack.us/img126/1310/maddenfo4.jpg

Also, make highlight stick less powerful. Whenever there is a runningback one on one with a cornerback in the flat, the RB breaks the tackle almost 100% if the user uses highlight stick properly.

Dudd 11-18-2007 06:03 PM

Re: Madden Improvements

Yeah, fixing the db vision should be the number 1 priority. It pretty much kills intermediate routes since you can't throw timing routes since defensive backs break on the ball just as well if not better than receivers. Same thing in NCAA, way too many linebackers just making ridiculous plays running with a tight end and then being able to turn, find the ball, and then make a leaping interception even though they were a step behind and had their back turned to the qb.

JaredL 11-18-2007 07:09 PM

I agree with the second thing big time.

I'm also not 100% sure about it but it often seems like the DBs also move too quickly relative to the speed of the ball. I often have deep passes at the sideline broken up by a safety who was in the middle of the field when I release the pass. Even if they started as soon as it was released I don't think in reality they could cover that much ground while the ball is in the air. I don't think the receiver and corner even run that far.

Zimmer4141 11-18-2007 07:18 PM

One more thing. Punt coverage is absolutely awful. If you setup PR Middle and make the first guy miss, it's an easy 20 yards more after that. I don't know exactly what makes it unrealistic, but it should be fixed.

littlekeed 11-18-2007 08:08 PM

Does the CPU kicker still never miss? I didn't buy this year's version.

Nez477 11-18-2007 09:58 PM

They need to change a lot to make me buy it in the future

1) Have an option in Superstar mode where you ONLY play the plays where your superstar is on the field.... simulate through the rest

Seriously, I would buy the game 100% with just this fix... I want it to be more realistic in my progression as an NFL player and if I"m a DB, there's a reason I decided to be a DB... I don't want to play offense (ldo). Model it after MLB The Show.

2) As mentioned, the passing game is absurd

- DBs have a pass trigger and when the ball is released they automatically know EXACTLY where it is going. Period.

- Reward timing routes better... for gosh sakes no matter if I time a route PERFECTLY, the DB makes the necessary adjustment

I mean, in general, receivers have the advantage of knowing where the ball should be thrown, the defense shouldn't

3) As mentioned, kicking is teh suck

I draft in a fantasy draft the kicker last

Training Camp+One Season = 90 rating easy

I think it should be a multibutton combo type thing, maybe like a Dance Revolution where the more accurate you are with the pattern the more accurate your kick is.... and the button combo is random and harder from farther away

4) I don't like the running system much anymore, and it 176% rewards finesse runners over backs like Stephen Jackson

I mean, Jackson is a top 5 RB easy, but you CANNOT use him in Madden. He gets the handoff, and due to him not being a 95 speed guy he gets wrapped up by 3 guys before you can do anything

I mean, there are exceptions obviously, but, this is how I feel

5) MORE PENALTIES: I know this is a weird request, but seriously the penalty system has been the same for like 10 years.... make more random penalties and make it more realistic, it's not a difficult request. I know it doesn't seem fun to have a random defensive holding call when you hold them on 3rd down, but how do you think Tom Coughlin feels?

I don't know, I didn't buy 2008 after reading reviews that nothing really changed or got better, and in order to buy 2009, I need some kind of improvement in the gameplay in general... it's been the same product for years

Theres my laundry list

Edge34 11-18-2007 10:05 PM

Nez,

I don't know what system you have, but Madden 08 for 360 gives me the option of just playing the plays my Superstar is in for. I never do anything else in that mode.

Nez477 11-18-2007 10:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Nez,

I don't know what system you have, but Madden 08 for 360 gives me the option of just playing the plays my Superstar is in for. I never do anything else in that mode.

[/ QUOTE ]

Schat??? Really??

Maybe I need to buy 2008 then

yeotaJMU 11-18-2007 11:22 PM

definitely the fact that DBs are all over the place needs to be fixed... so many times i throw a pick on the route in the OP because they have eyes in the back of their heads.

i also hate that a quarterback is slower than every player on the field unless he is michael vick, why can i not at least outrun a DT? an example of this would be tony romo, he cannot scramble at all though he is clearly able to irl.

i also hate that a reciever with a size advantage 1 on 1 with a safety cant catch a deep pass if it happens to be a jump ball.

fwiw i have more success with power backs than quick ones but that could be a playing style.

i also hate that sometimes a D-lineman breaks through the line so fast that you cant hand the ball of on a running play... when has that ever happened?

and there are way too many fumbles. there is at least one almost every game, and they are often retarded and the ball carrier isnt even hit hard. an example of this would be on a kickoff and the ball carrier runs into a defensive player and the ball pops out. that tilts me hard.

Zimmer4141 11-19-2007 12:28 AM

Got another one. The offense never catches tipped balls, but the defense can bat it around between each other until one of them picks it off.

dkgojackets 11-19-2007 12:54 AM

[ QUOTE ]
They need to change a lot to make me buy it in the future

1) Have an option in Superstar mode where you ONLY play the plays where your superstar is on the field.... simulate through the rest

Seriously, I would buy the game 100% with just this fix... I want it to be more realistic in my progression as an NFL player and if I"m a DB, there's a reason I decided to be a DB... I don't want to play offense (ldo). Model it after MLB The Show.

[/ QUOTE ]

NCAA did this in campus legend. It was pretty fun.

Golden_Rhino 11-19-2007 03:38 AM

I've given up on Madden. The computer's defense, and my inability to play defense, put me way more on tilt than any video game should.

Jack of Arcades 11-19-2007 08:22 AM

Madden needs a new physics engine. How long have they been using this one?

grando 11-19-2007 06:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I've given up on Madden. The computer's defense, and my inability to play defense, put me way more on tilt than any video game should.

[/ QUOTE ]

yep, this alone is why I don't bother playing

wonderwes 11-19-2007 07:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Madden needs a new physics engine. How long have they been using this one?

[/ QUOTE ]

I 100% agree.

dkgojackets 11-19-2007 07:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I dont like that I can try to keep it realistic every game, but every single time the CPU ends up busting a 70+ yard TD on me and there's nothing I could have done.

kkcountry 11-19-2007 08:33 PM

yes my biggest issue w/ madded is how awesome defenders are at jumping routes, especially the example in the OP, i also can't stand how it's impossible for 95+ speed WRs to get any separation from linebackers on drag routes

yeotaJMU 11-19-2007 08:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I dont like that I can try to keep it realistic every game, but every single time the CPU ends up busting a 70+ yard TD on me and there's nothing I could have done.

[/ QUOTE ]

i find defense to be easier than offense

ThaHero 11-19-2007 11:05 PM

It sounds like some of you just need to get better at the game.

kkcountry 11-19-2007 11:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

standard response from a madden "pro"

Dudd 11-20-2007 02:39 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

standard response from a madden "pro"

[/ QUOTE ]

Seriously, I do not want to get good at every idiosyncrasy that Madden throws my way, I want it to simulate the game of football as best as it can. Watch an NFL game and then compare it to Madden, and there is no comparison, Madden's just a pale imitation of the real thing. It'll be a long time if we ever get so advanced that the two are identical, but it's a nice goal to have.

Grinding2Ecstasy 11-20-2007 11:18 AM

OH PLEASE, this is the best madden and I have been playing them since 93. No it isn't a perfect simulation of football but it's pretty damn close. I do agree the DB's are a bit out of control though.

areinitz 11-20-2007 01:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Nez,

[/ QUOTE ]

Schat??? Really??

Maybe I need to buy 2008 then

[/ QUOTE ]

dude on the ps2, you can just play your players plays in 07 and 08, its an option on the pause screen

Zimmer4141 11-20-2007 04:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
OH PLEASE, this is the best madden and I have been playing them since 93. No it isn't a perfect simulation of football but it's pretty damn close. I do agree the DB's are a bit out of control though.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not saying it's awful, I agree with you that it's the best Madden yet. However, there are still glaring oversights that I feel can be corrected. Granted, I'm not a computer programmer, but I think they can at least make the kicking game and punt coverage somewhat realistic. There is absolutely no reason that kickers should ever put it out of the endzone, let alone be able to do it every single kickoff. Also, there is no reason that only the gunners get down the field on punt coverage. Like I said, if you make the first 2 guys miss or they get blocked, it is almost assured that you can get a 25-30 yard return.

I'm sure the DB problem will be tough to fix, but I feel like it can be fixable. This year's Madden is definitely better than any other version, but that doesn't mean we shouldn't look for ways to improve for next year.

Grinding2Ecstasy 11-21-2007 07:02 PM

learn to angle punts and adjust punt height, if you just boot it way down the middle of the field, yeah PR middle can score some big returns. I do think the special teams is very lacking, KR touchdowns seem to never ever happen, PR's are too easy, FG's too easy, kickoffs too easy.

prohornblower 11-21-2007 10:44 PM

Yeah the DB thing kind of sucks but I don't mind it. My DB's are always picking off passes. So I can't have it both ways. Basically get a lead, then start throwing a lot of Cover 2's in there. Spread the LB's wide and tighten up the DL. Force him to throw it (they probably already are b/c they're losing) and eventually he throws into a DB or LB.

Pretty much any DB I draft within the first three rounds turns into a 90+ within 2 years. Then they ask for more money and I trade them away for like a 1st and 2nd rounder. My whole goal in Madden Franchise is to create value. I'm about half-way though and I already found that I've traded so many good players away after making them good, that it makes the game more challenging for me. My owner profits are ridiculous though, because I trade players when they get too expensive and I RARELY renegotiate a hold-out. lol. In my current season, I'm 7 games in and I've already traded away such good players that in next seasons draft I get a 1,1,1,2,2,2,2,2,3,3. lol 10 picks in the first 96 draftees. And many of those picks are going to be the top 1-4 of the corresponding round. This will be the most ridiculous draft I've ever had though.

My complaint is when there is a fumble, my players almost NEVER seem to jump on the ball. They always recover their fumbles. Also, what's with the Challenges? They are ridiculous. The challenges go the CPU's way WAY more often than my way. And I'll go back and watch the replay to see if they got it right and it's absurd how wrong they get it sometimes.

Just stop wasting my time with these lame challenges and give the CPU the ball. Too much false hope!

EDIT: Another complaint. When trading, so many of the teams are capacity on their rosters, so instead of trading a stud for a 1st, 2nd, and 4th rounder. I have to drop the 4th rounder and select a crappy player to take in return. They are always like a 70 with 1 contract year left. But I'd obviously have the extra draft pick than some useless bum.

dawade 11-27-2007 02:47 AM

Madden has put me on tilt.

I'm going to buy NBA 2K8 tomorrow.

aislephive 11-27-2007 05:08 AM

Madden hasn't made any significant improvements in years, I don't even know why I bothered buying it this year, I played it like twice and got bored out of my mind and haven't played it since.

Nez477 11-27-2007 12:23 PM

Rented Madden 08 and NCAA 08 for kicks over thanksgiving

NCAA 08 is way better, although the turnovers are still disgusting... had 7 fumbles in my last game, ugh

But recruiting is fun, the option still kicks ass, and in general I feel I have a little more control with my strategy to which the defenders aren't gods

hoyasnaxa 11-27-2007 05:55 PM

field goals are unblockable. not enough noticeable difference between awful and amazing players. franchise mode is still basically a jopke.

Jazzy3113 11-29-2007 01:20 PM

I think one of the major problems with Madden is the fact that each year instead of just building on and improving the previous years version, they try to almost overhaul the game. I thought the version before QB vision was almost perfect. Here are my pet peeves.

1. Kicking is super easy this year, even from 50+.
2. Pump fake never works.
3. I agree that DB vision is kinda ridiculous. So many picks are the DB catching the ball over his shoulder when he is not even facing the line of scrimmage.
4. If you the drop back quarter your three down lineman will get instant pressure 80 percent of the time. Totally unstoppable, unless you run a screen.5
5. They hardly ever update the team scores properly. Cleveland still blows, pitt is ranked over 90, etc.
6. The highlight stick needs a nerf big time. I simply hit it and my back does the perfect move in that situation. No skill at all.
6. Also, why does everyone try to quickly change to the pats right before the start screen. So annoying.

Grinding2Ecstasy 11-29-2007 06:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think one of the major problems with Madden is the fact that each year instead of just building on and improving the previous years version, they try to almost overhaul the game. I thought the version before QB vision was almost perfect. Here are my pet peeves.

1. Kicking is super easy this year, even from 50+.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed, I really like 08 but special teams is the glaring weakness they need to overhaul, in all aspects.

[ QUOTE ]
2. Pump fake never works.

[/ QUOTE ]

I never use it, I'll take your word.

[ QUOTE ]
3. I agree that DB vision is kinda ridiculous. So many picks are the DB catching the ball over his shoulder when he is not even facing the line of scrimmage.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is my other big complaint, it is wayyyy too hard to throw it to the outside WR's if you eschew cheesy jetpacking . I've improved greatly in every area of the game since getting it, but I still can barely get my WR's involved, and I use the colts. WR Screen play is almost always an INT, WR Curl the db shoves in front of him and picks it routinely, deep outs the same thing. I've found myself having to use a formulaic, very conservative offense to play it safe.

[ QUOTE ]
4. If you the drop back quarter your three down lineman will get instant pressure 80 percent of the time. Totally unstoppable, unless you run a screen.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hrm never tried this one luckily I play in a league with anti-cheese rules so this would prob be outlawed.

[ QUOTE ]
5. They hardly ever update the team scores properly. Cleveland still blows, pitt is ranked over 90, etc.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think they've done a good job, the Pack are up from a 74 to an 89, the cowboys up to a 93, etc. Cleveland is not actually a great team if you break it down, their D is a sieve and most of their skill players are very young. Pitt is prob a playoff team with many skilled players and veterans, they won the super bowl a couple years ago, I think they still deserve to be a 90.

[ QUOTE ]
6. The highlight stick needs a nerf big time. I simply hit it and my back does the perfect move in that situation. No skill at all.

[/ QUOTE ]

Strongly disagree here. There are many moves you can do with the stick depending on the direction you hit it, the physics of your player when you hit it, your weapon icon, and how forcefully you hit it. The highlight stick makes running more than just jamming the D-pad in a general direction and doin an occasional juke or spin move like the old games. I also don't find it overpowered as most opponents have a lot of trouble running on me.