Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Video Games (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=77)
-   -   Playing Old Games On Your New(ish) PC (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=557383)

2218 11-29-2007 05:28 PM

Playing Old Games On Your New(ish) PC

Old games always crash on my computer, despite the patches that supposedly fix the problem. What can I do to get them to work smoothly?

Thanks in advance...

gumpzilla 11-29-2007 06:06 PM

Re: Playing Old Games On Your New(ish) PC

[ QUOTE ]
Old games always crash on my computer, despite the patches that supposedly fix the problem. What can I do to get them to work smoothly?

Thanks in advance...

[/ QUOTE ]

If they are old, old games, DosBox is a powerful tool. I used this recently to play Ultima Underworld I and II, which I'd really been jonesing for for a long time.

If they are medium old games, I've yet to find a general purpose solution. If you find one, let me know! There are a lot of older games I'd be interested in tracking down and playing at some point that I think have these kinds of problems in XP - Deus Ex, Thief, etc.

2218 11-29-2007 10:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If they are old, old games, DosBox is a powerful tool. I used this recently to play Ultima Underworld I and II, which I'd really been jonesing for for a long time.

If they are medium old games, I've yet to find a general purpose solution. If you find one, let me know! There are a lot of older games I'd be interested in tracking down and playing at some point that I think have these kinds of problems in XP - Deus Ex, Thief, etc.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, it's the medium old games that I want to play (basically the ones mentioned here, like Fallout and System Shock 2).

Would a virtual machine with windows 98 work?

g-bebe 11-29-2007 10:06 PM

I've never had problems running old games (unless they're games that were made for Win95, like Red Alert). Try running on different compatability modes?

Corpsebean 11-29-2007 10:29 PM

Try compatibility modes and for fallout specifically I remember that there was one problem with it running too fast on current systems.

This was fixed by some download to slow the game down. I would check nomutantsallowed for something.

Also I think the DVD compilation of Fallout games may not have this problem, don't know for sure because I've only played Tactics from it.

Fadook 12-01-2007 07:09 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Yeah, it's the medium old games that I want to play (basically the ones mentioned here, like Fallout and System Shock 2).

[/ QUOTE ]

There is a well-known workaround for SS2. Look
here.

Generally, Google "[the game] xp". Many other people will have wanted to do the same things that you do.

Moozh 12-01-2007 08:41 PM

I don't know how old we're talking about here, but DosBox is a must, and there are some absolute classics that run on ScummVM.

SoloAJ 12-01-2007 11:05 PM

This thread inspired me to try and get Red Alert installed. I couldn't get it done. I'm pretty upset about this.

Well, it installed, but the game won't run.

Corpsebean 12-02-2007 12:56 AM

[ QUOTE ]
This thread inspired me to try and get Red Alert installed. I couldn't get it done. I'm pretty upset about this.

Well, it installed, but the game won't run.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know if it makes any difference which version you have, but I have the C&C "The first decade" collection and everything runs flawlessly.

Might be worth checking out if you can't get regular RA to work.

SoloAJ 12-02-2007 03:18 AM

Thanks for the idea Corpse. I shall consider it if I get a strong enough urge to play RA.