Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Sporting Events (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=48)
-   -   **** OFFICIAL Champions League 2007-08 Thread!***** (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=474265)

gusmahler 08-10-2007 02:00 PM

**** OFFICIAL Champions League 2007-08 Thread!*****

Third Qualifying round starts on the Tuesday, August 14th:

Lazio v. Dnamo Buccuresti
Valencia v. Elfsborg
Rangers v. Crvena Zvezda
Benfica v. Kobenhavn
Sevilla v. AEK
Toulouse v. Liverpool
Sarajevo v. Dynamo Kiev
Fenerbahce v. Anderlecht
Sparta v. Arsenal
Zurich v. Besiktas
BATE v. Steaua
Tampere v. Rosenborg
Sparta Mocow v. Celtic
Bremen v. Dinamo Zagreb
Salzburg v. Shakhtar
Ajax v. Slavia

The second leg is on August 28/29th.

The draw for Group Stage is August 30.

ledders07 08-10-2007 02:33 PM

Re: **** OFFICIAL Champions League 2007-08 Thread!*****

I'm off to prague on tuesday, none of the british teams are going to struggle to qualify I think

ThaSaltCracka 08-10-2007 03:35 PM

some good matchups there.

Benfica-Copehagen
Sevilla-AEK
Spartak Moscow-Celtic

JaredL 08-10-2007 04:12 PM

Sevilla - AEK is going to be a cracker of a match. The AEK manager used to be the manager of Betis, so he's quite familiar with Sevilla and it will give the Sevilla fans a bit more to cheer for. It's unfortunate as AEK are one of the better sides, but it should be a fun couple of legs.

Another factor is that Sevilla have rejected offers of 32 and 35 million euros for Alves from Chelsea. He's said that Sevilla should consider those offers and that he would love to move to a big club like Chelsea. The Sevilla president said that an "out of market" offer would be required for Sevilla to sell him. He's contracted through 2011. If Sevilla play him he'll be cup tied I believe (I think the qualifying round counts though not 100%) and so we'll find out early on whether they want to keep him for real or are just trying to milk a few million euros out of it. He does have a slight injury but if he doesn't play at least in the second leg I think he's gone and I'll be [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img].

It was similar with Arsenal last year. When Reyes didn't play it was obvious that no matter what Wenger said he was going to at least temporarily go to Real Madrid.

ThaSaltCracka 08-10-2007 05:54 PM

qualifying rounds count, he would be cup tied. Sevilla would be [censored] nuts to sell him, especially at this point. This is a massive season for that club. They finally have a chance to join the big dogs in spain.

If they were going to sell him, they should have done it once the season ended. Now what would all the money get them? new players who haven't had time to settle with a new team.

JaredL 08-10-2007 08:58 PM

I agree TSC.

Thing is if he has another monster season they could probably get 45 million euros for him, maybe more. He has a legit shot at winning the golden ball this year, though he probably won't.

As I said in whatever summer thread, I think this season we'll find out whether Sevilla are going to be a team like Valencia, just behind the big two and every year having a real chance at winning the league, or like Deportivo de la Coruña - a team that had a couple amazing seasons and will fade with team coming back every once in a while.

Sevilla have run ridiculously well on the transfer market for young players. There are a few amazingly talented youth squad players in addition to the guys on the very good, young first team. It's not going to be easy to redo this run so becoming big club is important for the success to continue long term.

I think it'll happen if Sevilla finish top 4 in the league, get past the group stage of the CL and win at least one cup including the two supercups (Supercopa de España first leg starts mañana). On the other hand if Sevilla get bounced by AEK, get thrashed by both Real Madrid and AC Milan, and finish out of the top 4 we will probably see a selloff soon.

ThaSaltCracka 08-15-2007 11:21 AM

A lot of 3rd round qualifiers today, as I type, Pool currently up 1-0.

Adu played yesterday for Benfica.

ThaSaltCracka 08-15-2007 02:15 PM

a lot of interest so far I see....

Pool wins 1-0, yawn.

Good result for Celtic to nick a goal in a 1-1 tie in Moscow. They should lock it down at Celtic Park and ensure no one has to go to [censored] Moscow in the group stage.

Rosenborg wins 3-0 on the road. A lot of games starting soon.

jeramy576 08-15-2007 04:38 PM

Sparta 0-2 Arsenal

ThaSaltCracka 08-15-2007 05:01 PM

excellent result for the Arsenal. Basically assured we are moving onto the group stages. Nice result. I think the result means we may bring in a few(maybe 1 or 2) players now that CL money is guaranteed. Also really good to see Hleb and Cesc scoring.

Sevilla with a 2-0 win as well. Most of the other late games are LAME.

jeramy576 08-15-2007 06:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think the result means we may bring in a few(maybe 1 or 2) players now that CL money is guaranteed.

[/ QUOTE ]

I hope they bring atleast one more, but without David Dein the board is full of [censored] who care too much about the business part of the team. And isn't too willing to part with much £££

ThaSaltCracka 08-15-2007 06:52 PM

naw, the board is on record saying the money is there for Wenger, but he doesn't spend it. Maybe there wasn't enough for the player(s) he wanted, but now there could be. This isn't my theory anyway, saw it on Arseblog this morning.

shoxbb6 08-15-2007 07:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I think the result means we may bring in a few(maybe 1 or 2) players now that CL money is guaranteed.

[/ QUOTE ]

I hope they bring atleast one more, but without David Dein the board is full of [censored] who care too much about the business part of the team. And isn't too willing to part with much £££

[/ QUOTE ]
Arsenal are in fine financial shape, have made a profit from transfers this summer alone, and the board has always made funds available for Arsene. Just because Arsene opts not to spend lots of money on transfers, which is his general style since he has been manager, does not mean that the board does not care if Arsenal does well in the league or not. David Dein leaving Arsenal does not mean Arsenal will suddenly implode, Wenger has been and is far more important than Dein.

ledders07 08-16-2007 05:14 PM

just got back from prague today, boy that second goal was goooooot. sagna lays it on a plate and hleb slots it in.
CL money ship it

very good result for celtic away to moscow as well

ThaSaltCracka 08-16-2007 05:57 PM

I am going to watch the game tonight, I hear Cesc tore Repka a new one.

trouble 08-16-2007 07:26 PM

Predictions for the final anyone?

ThaSaltCracka 08-16-2007 07:28 PM

way to early IMO.

trouble 08-16-2007 08:03 PM

yeah true it is too soon ok then who would you like to see in the final i'll go chelsea vs barcalona good old fashioned grudge match

ledders07 08-17-2007 09:08 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I am going to watch the game tonight, I hear Cesc tore Repka a new one.

[/ QUOTE ]

same here, i was getting drinks and food at the time so I missed it all.

ThaSaltCracka 08-17-2007 10:58 AM

I watched it last night. Tough team to crack, but I think they respond very well to the dirty play of Sparta. Glad to see we got out of there injury free.

jgunnip 08-17-2007 04:00 PM

Does 2nd rd uefa cup action count? I'm watching an exciting match b/t some ukranian outfit and a squad from poland. been watching for 20 minutes and still don't know which side is which or what the score is.

edot nm- one of the teams won 1-0.

JaredL 08-19-2007 03:20 PM

I obviously would have posted here but I've been away.

2-0 for Sevilla is a fantastic result. It isn't over yet but AEK are in a bad spot. Sevilla have a pretty good defense and perhaps more importantly are very good at counterattacking.

It's interesting to see the team with Alves sitting. I'm absolutely not saying they're better because that's not the case but with only Jesus Navas making runs on the right he's looked even more dangerous than usual. If Alves moves on I would expect him to have a monster year.

ThaSaltCracka 08-19-2007 03:26 PM

you think Alves is moving? I thought Sevilla turned down Chelsea's offer.

JaredL 08-19-2007 03:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
you think Alves is moving? I thought Sevilla turned down Chelsea's offer.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think most sevillistas expect him to go. The only official thing is that Sevilla rejected an offer for 29 million euros from Chelsea saying it wasn't even close. Unofficially pretty much every paper said that the Sevilla and Chelsea people agreed to 32 million plus 4 million in extras and then Abramovich said it was too much and so they made a small offer.

Real Madrid is also rumored to have made an offer of 37 million and Cicinho for Alves and Puerta. It initially looks good because 37 million for Alves is ok but Puerta is worth a hell of a lot more than Cicinho so it's actually a bad offer. I don't think del Nido would consider this offer for a second and also don't think Real Madrid actually offered this.

One thing is that if Sevilla qualify for the group stage then surely Alves' price goes up. Having him play in the CL would be huge plus it would likely alleviate his strong desire to play for a huge club.

ThaSaltCracka 08-19-2007 05:21 PM

Seems crazy to me that he wants to move to a bigger club. Sevilla is getting CL football. They are on the rise. I mean, I guess moving to Barca or RM is bigger, but he needs to be realistic IMO. Sevilla, if they keep their core, should be in CL football for a while. Maybe even winning La Liga.

jgunnip 08-29-2007 02:45 PM

bumpity. 2nd leg matches underway for most teams.

jgunnip 08-29-2007 04:18 PM

Ajax is out unless they score two goals in 4 minutes. been an exciting game thus far.

ThaSaltCracka 08-29-2007 04:19 PM

Arsenal seals it with a Rosicky goal against his old team.

jgunnip 08-29-2007 04:28 PM

Unfortunately the arsenal tv feed was too choppy for me to watch. Currently watching the celtic-spartak moscow match. agg 2-2 and could go to extra time. Nakamura just had a breakaway saved but the spartak keeper.

red card for a spartak defender.

jgunnip 08-29-2007 05:07 PM

oh hi. some guy with a really long name just hit the crossbar on a penalty in the 24th minute of extra time.

TheRenaissance 08-29-2007 06:05 PM

Celtic is through!
What a game!

Two goals, two missed penalties, a red card, a bad ref, team mates fighting, a penalty shoot out, and mad drunk scots singing their hearts out.

Only thing missing was a streaker.

ledders07 08-29-2007 06:13 PM

just read the match report, wow that celtic match looked like a cracker

ThaSaltCracka 08-29-2007 06:19 PM

two scottish teams move onto the group stages, 4 English teams. A big FU to the continent.

ledders07 08-29-2007 06:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
two scottish teams move onto the group stages, 4 English teams. A big FU to the continent.

[/ QUOTE ]

an even bigger FU to Bayern Munich who are only in the uefa cup

ThaSaltCracka 08-29-2007 06:32 PM

the draw for the group stages is tomorrow, right?

EmpireMaker2 08-29-2007 06:39 PM

TSC any large bets vs me? I will take Man U or livershit vs your gayboys for any amount of money.

shoxbb6 08-29-2007 06:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
the draw for the group stages is tomorrow, right?

[/ QUOTE ]
Yea, they're still doing the drawing tomorrow even with the AEK-Sevilla game postponed.

TheRenaissance 08-29-2007 06:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
TSC any small bets vs me? I will take Man Poo or Liverpool vs your gayboys for a tiny amount of money.

[/ QUOTE ]

New001 08-29-2007 07:06 PM

Why the hell not, anyone want an avatar bet versus AC Milan? Any team is welcome, especially a dumb one like Liverpool.

ThaSaltCracka 08-29-2007 07:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
TSC any large bets vs me? I will take Man U or livershit vs your gayboys for any amount of money.

[/ QUOTE ]I don't bet money on sports, ever. I would take an avatar bet, but it looks like you are a glory hunter, since you'd take action with either manU or livershite.