Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   The Lounge: Discussion+Review (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=65)
-   -   Link to cities cost of living rankings (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=310416)

Jim Kuhn 01-20-2007 02:15 AM

Link to cities cost of living rankings

For those that are thinking of relocating to other cities or countries this link might be interesting: http://www.finfacts.ie/costofliving.htm

Thank you,

Jim Kuhn
Catfish4u
[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

TheMetetron 01-20-2007 03:27 AM

Re: Link to cities cost of living rankings

Go Buenos Aires for being cheap as dirt. Prague is actually higher up than I thought it would be.

Also, something seems really off with this list. Geneva didn't seem nearly as ridiculously expensive as either Stockholm or Copenhagen when I was visiting it... while more than most US cities, it was cheap to me by Scandinavian standards. Perhaps rent is really ridiculous though.

RunDownHouse 01-20-2007 03:44 AM

Boston is cheaper than Prague? Really?

bigalt 01-20-2007 04:46 AM

I found some of those ranks surprising as well. Am moving to Guatemala City in June, which is apparently more expensive than Seattle where I'm leaving from.

kurti 01-20-2007 06:53 AM

Hmm interesting, Budapest and Munich are exactly on the same level. Incidentally I just moved back from Budapest to Munich after living there for 6 years. I can positivly tell you that you can expect cost of living to be 10-25% less in Budapest than in Munich, depending on your livestyle.
Here is a link to two other surveys, which I personally find more credible (only in German though).

TheMetetron 01-20-2007 03:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I found some of those ranks surprising as well. Am moving to Guatemala City in June, which is apparently more expensive than Seattle where I'm leaving from.

[/ QUOTE ]

I now officially think that these rankings are bunk after taking a closer look. While Buenos Aires may be among the cheapest cities to live in, there's no way Seattle is that low compared to other cities above it.

RunDownHouse 01-20-2007 05:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Here is a link to two other surveys, which I personally find more credible (only in German though).

[/ QUOTE ]

"Nicht überall auf der Welt ist das Leben billiger als in der Schweiz."

lol, if you're one of the billions of non-Swiss it certainly isn't. Could you briefly explain what the column headings are (the EDA, UBS, OECD, and A&S)?

TheMetetron 01-20-2007 09:24 PM

A&S appears to be the important column. I have no idea what it means but the lower the number seems to imply a cheaper cost of living.

Edit: I believe Switzerland is a 100 A&S. Implying only Norway is more expensive. This is for countries though which isn't the same as cities.

kurti 01-21-2007 05:39 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Could you briefly explain what the column headings are (the EDA, UBS, OECD, and A&S)?

[/ QUOTE ]

yes sure, but only briefly [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
EDA is an index that applies to the lifestyle of diplomats, people that need to represent. So it's a pretty high level lifestyle.
USB on the other hand applies to the lifestyle of an average middle class family.
A more detailed description you can find here (again only in German)

Sandviper23 01-21-2007 05:42 PM

so is this link pretty much bogus?