Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Student Life (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=69)
-   -   donating to your alma mater (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=525428)

eviljeff 10-17-2007 11:03 PM

donating to your alma mater

Just worked a 3 hour phone-a-thon tonight in exchange for softball equipment for our team. I'm pretty sure it lost money.

Any thoughts on donating to your alma mater?

I will never give money to my high school (private) because the administration was terrible.

I've given a nominal sum to my undergrad (public) and will likely continue making small donations throughout my life because I had a fantastic experience there.

The only reason I might give money to my law school (private) is if it is required for legacy purposes. Stupid kid insurance ftw.

SuperUberBob 10-17-2007 11:56 PM

Re: donating to your alma mater

I spend 3 hour shifts calling people and asking them for money. Nice side money to screw around with.

I'd give back to PSU. But not a lot.

HotPockets 10-18-2007 12:08 PM

Not in a billion years. The University system doesn't have enough of my cash? While I haven't had a bad college experience, it boggles my mind how anyone would voluntarily give money to an institution that actively tries to bleed as much money out of you as possible. If Rutgers ever sends me a letter asking for a donation, I may just crap in an envelope and send it back.

</rant>

mrTEA 10-18-2007 01:37 PM

I think I got stupider in high school so no...

I don't think my university cares very much about me...

If my grad school makes me a ton of [censored] money then fo sho.

Riverman 10-18-2007 02:57 PM

I give $1 per year. Keeps them from bothering me.

eviljeff 10-18-2007 03:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I give $1 per year. Keeps them from bothering me.

[/ QUOTE ]

I imagine it keeps you on their list of people that give.

XXXNoahXXX 10-18-2007 05:37 PM

My girlfriend and I make a joint gift of $1 to our college.

This actually does more good than you think because rankings care about alumni giving rates as an indicator of how people liked it there. Also, this year some rich alumni said he'd donate a million if we reached a certain giving rate that was on the high end of our typical rate.

$1 results in a thank you note and no further calls or mailings, which is another plus.

i worked doing the phonathon when i was in college and we got all sorts of sick bonuses for getting the most credit card donations, total amount, most increases in amount, etc.

XXXNoahXXX 10-18-2007 05:37 PM

also, will give to my private high school because i loved it there.

as for law school, we'll see.

rivermetimbers 10-18-2007 07:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Not in a billion years. The University system doesn't have enough of my cash? While I haven't had a bad college experience, it boggles my mind how anyone would voluntarily give money to an institution that actively tries to bleed as much money out of you as possible. If Rutgers ever sends me a letter asking for a donation, I may just crap in an envelope and send it back.

</rant>

[/ QUOTE ]
There lies your problem... i would have NEVER given Rutgers any of my money

eviljeff 10-18-2007 07:14 PM

I too, will not be giving money to Rutgers. anyone else?