Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Other Other Topics (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Talking About Speech Impediments (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=552609)

agent_fish 11-23-2007 12:25 AM

Talking About Speech Impediments

I have a speech impediment known as a "lateral" lisp. From Wikipedia:

[ QUOTE ]
The "lateral" lisp, where the /s/ and /z/ sounds are produced with air escaping over the sides of the tongue, is also called 'slushy ess' or a 'slushy lisp' due to the wet, spitty sound. The symbols for these lateralized sounds are in the Extended International Phonetic Alphabet for speech disorders, [ʪ] and [ʫ].

[/ QUOTE ]
Basically, I pronounce the letter "s" using the side of my tongue and mouth. I have tried to pronounce it using the tip of my tongue and my front teeth (which I have gathered is the correct way), but it sounds even worse.

Over the years it has been a big source of insecurity for me. I was teased mercilessly throughout school. Many times, it is difficult for people to understand what I am saying. You can imagine how this would affect one's romantic life and professional career. It seems like it gets even worse when I get nervous and my mouth gets dry.

I have decided to see a speech therapist to attempt to correct my problem. Has anyone had any experience with one, especially as an adult?

The reason I started this thread was to provide a resource of support and advice for those with speech problems. Please share your stories.

eviljeff 11-23-2007 12:47 AM

Re: Talking About Speech Impediments

my bro-in-law is a speech pathologist. what do you want me to ask him?

mbillie1 11-23-2007 12:50 AM

Attempt to change your vocabulary in a way that will enable you to talk in an appropriate way, without appearing to have an impediment. It will require deliberately picking every word you utter, but it could very well be worth it. You be the judge here.

XXXNoahXXX 11-23-2007 12:51 AM

[ QUOTE ]
my bro-in-law is a speech pathologist. what do you want me to ask him?

[/ QUOTE ]

where does he work, and how much does he make?

My gf is in grad school now for speech, and i need that ho to hurry up and get a j-o-b.

Scary_Tiger 11-23-2007 12:51 AM

I knew a kid who had a lisp in high school. He improved it a lot, instantly got lots of ladies.

agent_fish 11-23-2007 12:54 AM

My biggest question is can I be sure that the therapist will be able to significantly help my problem before I pay him a lot of money? Are most speech impediments "curable" with treatment?

mbillie1 11-23-2007 12:58 AM

In addition, you may want to think about picking each vacation you take according to different criteria. For example, Germany can be a wonderful country in which to kick back and relax. England, too. Your real problem will be attempting to travel to an area like the country right next to Germany. Any of them.

agent_fish 11-23-2007 12:59 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Attempt to change your vocabulary in a way that will enable you to talk in an appropriate way, without appearing to have an impediment. It will require deliberately picking every word you utter, but it could very well be worth it. You be the judge here.

[/ QUOTE ]

I actively do this already, but it is really, really hard to avoid the letter using the letter s. I mean, it's a Wheel of Fortune given letter in the bonus round.

mbillie1 11-23-2007 01:01 AM

But I am having an incredibly good run at avoiding typing a particular letter or phoneme... damn I'm good.

edit: yeah I know... I just wanted to see if anyone else would pick up on it. Too late though lol.

agent_fish 11-23-2007 01:01 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I knew a kid who had a lisp in high school. He improved it a lot, instantly got lots of ladies.

[/ QUOTE ]
This is the ultimate goal.