Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Sporting Events (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=48)
-   -   Why I Hate Missouri -- You Should Too (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=545647)

KUJustin 11-13-2007 11:54 PM

Why I Hate Missouri -- You Should Too

http://www.blogsmithmedia.com/sports...zoushirt07.jpg
http://sports.aol.com/fanhouse/2007/...to-the-ground/

These are the shirts Mizzou fans are making for the upcoming showdown between the #3 and #5 teams in the land. For those who aren't Civil War experts the shirt depicts Quantrill's raid in 1863 in which some folks from Missouri burned Lawrence to the ground.

Hard to blame them. It's kind of funny on the surface. Except they burned Lawrence to the ground because it was founded to make Kansas a free state and abolish slavery in the US. The backs of the shirt read:

"Raise the Black Flag and Ride Hard Boys. Our Cause is Just and Our Enemies Many"

Ah yes, our cause is just, indeed. They're embracing a violent pro-slavery mob that killed innocent women and children for the sake of continuing to oppress an entire race. Real respectable folks out there in Missouri.

Your Mom 11-13-2007 11:56 PM

Re: Why I Hate Missouri -- You Should Too

Mizzou is full of douchebags, no doubt about it. I'll be rooting for you guys.

GBP04 11-13-2007 11:58 PM

need no convincing. lifelong KU supporter here

damaniac 11-14-2007 12:01 AM

Wow, stay classy Missouri.

Rubeskies 11-14-2007 12:06 AM

This is sad. Just sad.

bugstud 11-14-2007 12:07 AM

anyone got a good anti-mizzou counter I can wear to U of I - Mizzou in the future?

Golden_Rhino 11-14-2007 12:10 AM

It's Missouri. Were you expecting high brow humour? At least there's no images of people hanging from trees and such.

westhoff 11-14-2007 12:14 AM

Even though I'm a wildcat, I'll definitely be rooting for KU. Missouri is [censored] worthless.

lippy 11-14-2007 12:14 AM

Wow those Missou fans are being so insensitive. All the family members of victims of that tragic day will be so offended. Hopefully there will be counseling available.

dkgojackets 11-14-2007 12:14 AM

nit imo

AngusThermopyle 11-14-2007 12:16 AM

"Doc" Jennison and James Lane would be amused.

damaniac 11-14-2007 12:17 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Wow those Missou fans are being so insensitive. All the family members of victims of that tragic day will be so offended. Hopefully there will be counseling available.

[/ QUOTE ]

I assume you will find similar jokes about the Holocaust unobjectionable in a generation or so.

benza13 11-14-2007 12:19 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I assume you will find similar jokes about the Holocaust unobjectionable in a generation or so.

[/ QUOTE ]

they're objectionable now?

Bump_Bailey 11-14-2007 12:20 AM

http://www.jayhawkertees.com/images/...mericasafe.jpg

where do i get one of those?

KUJustin 11-14-2007 12:22 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

they're objectionable now?

[/ QUOTE ]

Mizzou fan imo.

FlyWf 11-14-2007 12:51 AM

Dude to a thinner coach, better uniforms, and a QB named Chase I had previously been rooting for Mizzou. Thanks to that blog post I now hate them. Go Kansas.

KUJustin 11-14-2007 12:54 AM

I'll try to find some audio somewhere, but former KU coach Don Fambrough is an expert Mizzou hater. He gives a speech to the team every year before the Missouri game. Here's a quote from an online chat he did a couple of years ago for the local paper.

[ QUOTE ]
Shawn, Tonganoxie, Kan..: Hi Coach, If you had to say one nice thing about Missouri (and I know that is difficult to do), what would it be?

Don Fambrough: I've been thinking about that for years. And I haven't come up with one good thing yet. Every year we go over there and something happens. One year over Thanksgiving weekend we got caught in a terrible blizzard and no store was open to sell us long johns. So we asked Missouri officials for help and they said: "We hope you freeze to death."

So coach J.V. Sikes drove the bus down on the field and parked it right behind the bench so when the players came off the field they would go and get in the bus so they wouldn't freeze.

[/ QUOTE ]

KUJustin 11-14-2007 12:57 AM

[ QUOTE ]
http://www.jayhawkertees.com/images/...mericasafe.jpg

where do i get one of those?

[/ QUOTE ]

That site (JayhawkerTees.com) has them available to order. I'll be picking mine up Saturday.

time4adrank 11-14-2007 01:01 AM

[ QUOTE ]
nit imo

[/ QUOTE ]

Case Closed 11-14-2007 02:16 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
level?

MyTurn2Raise 11-14-2007 02:17 AM

[ QUOTE ]
anyone got a good anti-mizzou counter I can wear to U of I - Mizzou in the future?

[/ QUOTE ]

If Pinkel and Zook stick around, that might become one of the best rivalry games to begin each college football season

as for bball, lol @ Mizzou playing Illinois each year.... nothing like the xmas time beatdown of the Tigers each year

noseeds99 11-14-2007 02:22 AM

missouri fans wear jean shorts

Hollywade 11-14-2007 02:48 AM

I think the idea is actually awesome: using a historical event as an analogy to a current sporting event. It has the potential to be clever and funny.

As it is, this is incredibly douchey. Not just for the women and children thing, but also for the South vs. North thing. To me, anything that somehow shows support for the Confederate states is the epitomy of douchebaggery (i.e. hanging a Confederate flag).

Justin, thank you for giving me another reason to root for the Jayhawks to go undefeated and get to the national championship game against Oregon.

johnnylovescandy 11-14-2007 03:38 AM

Hatred and Hypocrisy reside everywhere my friend, even at KU. If you become a hater, you're just as bad as them.
Once at a Razorbacks game, I witnessed a nearby screaming fan wearing this:
http://aycu01.webshots.com/image/331...8463096_rs.jpg

It took guts, but my brother and I continued our romantic gaze into each other's eyes while holding hands and walking right on by that obnoxious protester. Razorbacks won 49-14.

illini43 11-14-2007 03:44 AM

The usual:

Q:"Where do you go to school?"

A: Missouri

"I'm sorry"

works for me.

Note: Applicable to Iowa/Indiana/Purdue as well

BigSoonerFan 11-14-2007 09:23 AM

[ QUOTE ]
The usual:

Q:"Where do you go to school?"

A: Missouri

"I'm sorry"

works for me.

Note: Applicable to Iowa/Indiana/Purdue as well

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not sure about Missouri or Iowa, but Indiana and Purdue are well-respected universities. I think most Big Ten schools are ranked in the Top 25 of public universities in the nation, including those two, which is more than can be said for most Div 1 schools obviously.

I don't know much about the KU/Missouri rivalry, but why are is Missouri getting bashed for a few classless fans. Doesn't everyone have those?

yjbrewer 11-14-2007 09:52 AM

Damn I used to like Mizzou. For this low life classlessness GO KU

Gregatron 11-14-2007 09:56 AM

That does suck. Really sucky move by a bunch of idiots.

However, I am not sure this should motivate one to cheer for KS over Mizzou. Unless this shirt is being espoused by the university it represents nothing more than some idiotic, bigoted fans. We all have them.

LSU, for example, has moronic fans that display purple and gold confederate flags. Thankfully The university has officially condemned that symbol, saying it has NOTHING to do with LSU. As much as I hate that flag and the morons that wave it, it does not deter me (as an LSU alumnus and, of course, fan) from loving my Tigers!

This shirt sucks, but don't let it change you allegiances people!

damaniac 11-14-2007 10:09 AM

[ QUOTE ]

This shirt sucks, but don't let it change you allegiances people!

[/ QUOTE ]

Fair point, but most of the people commenting here most likely have no affiliation with either school and thus have only a passing interest in the game. To that end, other than rooting for a good game, it probably doesn't take much to cause a shift. I want Kansas to lose a game just because I want to see LSU-Oregon in the title game, but I'll root for them in this one.

ClassicBob 11-14-2007 10:36 AM

Honestly, it's a pretty hilarious shirt, if you eliminate all context.

KUJustin 11-14-2007 12:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't know much about the KU/Missouri rivalry, but why are is Missouri getting bashed for a few classless fans. Doesn't everyone have those?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, but some fan groups are clearly worse than others, think Oakland Raiders.

Missouri has a fan group called the "Antlers." They wear dresses for every game and do goofy dances. They call players and coaches in the middle of the night all week leading up to games. They also hold up signs with the phone numbers of players, and their girlfriends.

So far, not all that bad, other than the dresses. They also come up with chants to taunt Nick Collison about his recently deceased grandfather. They make signs making fun of Roy Williams's deceased mother. There's also that time they were playing the Razorbacks and were at the team hotel as Arkansas was arriving with a pig's head on top of their car. They pull all kinds of tasteless crap over there.

And, don't even get me started on their cokehead former coach, Quinn Snyder. Or how they named their basketball arena after a 20-something girl who never attended their university or did anything of note (besides cheat through college leading Missouri to rename the arena).

Or Ricky Clemons who assaulted and choked a girl for not watching Roots with him, and had frequent conversations with the University president's wife who gave him such advice as "avoid dating white women" and hilariously made famous the phrase "them crackas be shakin" when referring to Mizzou administration.

Basically they've won one Big 12 title in it's 12 year history, women's softball. The short man complex makes for some ugly fans.

dkgojackets 11-14-2007 12:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
missouri fans wear jean shorts

[/ QUOTE ]

Now this is the most inappropriate thing in the thread.

UATrewqaz 11-14-2007 12:31 PM

Missouri is probably just bitter from all the BS they've had to deal with recently.

The infamous Colorado 5th down? That was against Missouri.

That completely fluke kick the ball in the air TD on the last play for Nebraska? That was against Missouri.

Regardless I want Kansas to win and I think they will.

tdarko 11-14-2007 12:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
missouri fans wear jorts

[/ QUOTE ]

fyp

tdarko 11-14-2007 12:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Missouri is probably just bitter from all the BS they've had to deal with recently.

That completely fluke kick the ball in the air TD on the last play for Nebraska? That was against Missouri.

[/ QUOTE ]

None of that went through anyone's mind when making that shirt, they thought it was a funny and low blow to a state and team and I agree with CB if you remove context it is kind of funny and the shirt obv worked b/c it got everyone in an uproar. + I don't expect much else from that state to be honest--everyone time I have driven through it it has been filled w/ hillbilly's and child-beaters. But to say it was b/c of crappy previous luck is giving Mizzou too much credit.

pvn 11-14-2007 12:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
As it is, this is incredibly douchey. Not just for the women and children thing, but also for the South vs. North thing. To me, anything that somehow shows support for the Confederate states is the epitomy of douchebaggery (i.e. hanging a Confederate flag).

[/ QUOTE ]

MUST

RESIST

POLITICS

HIJACK

Dids 11-14-2007 12:44 PM

I like Missouri becaue I thought Doug Smith was the [censored] back when I first really got into college basketball.

I like them now because I want Kansas to lose so that Oregon can go to the championship game. Go Pac-10.

dkgojackets 11-14-2007 12:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I hate Colorado for that because it costed GT the championship. Tech finished undefeated, Colorado actually lost three games that year.

dkgojackets 11-14-2007 12:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Justin, thank you for giving me another reason to root for the Jayhawks to go undefeated and get to the national championship game against Oregon.

[/ QUOTE ]

No, you sound like a huge douche.

iron81 11-14-2007 12:46 PM

Does this thread make any otherwise disinterested parties interested in this game? I know I am.