Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   High Stakes (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   River value spot (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=555419)

cts 11-27-2007 06:35 AM

River value spot

I asked a few people what they'd do here and got a different response from each one, what do you think?

25/50HU on UB (keep in mind it's a site with a pot button that people definitely overuse). My opponent is bad. He calls too much, chooses poor (small) bet sizes, doesn't make big bluffs, etc. That said he's not like totally braindead or anything, he's just not good. I haven't been caught doing anything too horrible but I have been reraising him nonstop.

He opens to $150 and I reraise to $600 with A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]Q [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] ($6000 stacks or so). I have reraised the past three consecutive hands I've had in the big blind and he's folded each time. This time he calls real quick

Flop 8 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 5 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 4 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (Pot $1200)

My image is just so dumb and with the speed he called pre I think he's going to try to win the pot so I just check and give up. He checks behind.

Turn 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 5 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 4 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 6 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (Pot $1200)

I checked again, he bet $600, and I called.

River 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 5 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 4 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 6 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 7 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img](Pot $2400)

like $4500 behind

Butcho22 11-27-2007 06:41 AM

Re: River value spot

Bet something lame like $999 and hope he gets tricky

yaaam1484 11-27-2007 06:54 AM

really depends on the dynamics of the match.. it's either all in or c/r imo.. i'd go for all in

edit: changed my mind.. bet 1800 against this villain, he's not calling all in too often and will probably raise a better straight or a flush

stigmata 11-27-2007 08:28 AM

Personally I would just valuetown, river goes check-check waaaay to often against this villain, and hoping he will raise a blockbet is somewhat optimistic.

But then again, wtf do I know, you are cts lol.

The counter argument would be that if you firmly trust your read that "I think he's going to try to win the pot", then checking and letting him make a big stab at it could be good. However, despite the fact that his initial intentions were possibly to take the pot away from you, I just think he is now going to be happy with half the pot for zero risk, and check it back.

sauce123 11-27-2007 09:02 AM

trying to get this player to bluff seems pointless- making it look like you may be bluffing seems like the way to go

as in i think he will call 2/3 pot for a split 90% and everything else is just cross ur fingers and hope he filled.

TheWorstPlayer 11-27-2007 09:10 AM

i would check. there aren't many hands with a 9 that you would reraise preflop but not bet on the flop, and would then c/c on the turn. So he has to put you on the flush or on playing the board. If you bet, maybe he calls to chop, but if you check maybe he just shoves it in or bets and convinces himself to call a shove for the chop. Or maybe he even has a 9 himself. I think it's better to go for the homerun and try to stack him than just hoping he pays off half pot or whatever.

fees 11-27-2007 09:25 AM

I would bet and hope he raises, he will raise all flushes/9's and might even bluff raise. Since hes so bad I'm not sure if he does anything like try to fold out a split and he'll be checking it back a lot so we're going to lose value from him calling to chop etc. b/3bai

jkkkk 11-27-2007 09:51 AM

$2401

ahnuld 11-27-2007 10:01 AM

from the description this guy sounds weak and passive. Hell check behind unless he has a 9. Lead

sauce123 11-27-2007 10:10 AM

[ QUOTE ]
i would check. there aren't many hands with a 9 that you would reraise preflop but not bet on the flop, and would then c/c on the turn. So he has to put you on the flush or on playing the board. If you bet, maybe he calls to chop, but if you check maybe he just shoves it in or bets and convinces himself to call a shove for the chop. Or maybe he even has a 9 himself. I think it's better to go for the homerun and try to stack him than just hoping he pays off half pot or whatever.

[/ QUOTE ]

this is one level too many