Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Micro Stakes (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=71)
-   -   NL25 QQ in RR pot, turn desicion (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=555575)

simonpoker 11-27-2007 01:55 PM

NL25 QQ in RR pot, turn desicion

Opp is unknown

Party Poker, $0.10/$0.25 NL Hold'em Cash Game, 5 Players
LeggoPoker.com - Hand History Converter

CO: $25
BTN: $32.77
SB: $20.16
BB: $46.78
Hero (UTG): $25.07

Pre-Flop: Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] dealt to Hero (UTG)
<font color="red">Hero raises to $1</font>, <font color="red">CO raises to $3</font>, 3 folds, Hero calls $2

Flop: ($6.35) 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (2 Players)
Hero checks, CO checks

Turn: ($6.35) 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (2 Players)
Hero checks, <font color="red">CO bets $4.50</font>, Hero folds

pdiggz 11-27-2007 02:36 PM

Re: NL25 QQ in RR pot, turn desicion

I think this depends a lot upon his preflop 3bet range. Also, if he has an Ace is he usually betting it on the flop, especially with 2 hearts on board? Would he play the hand like this with 88,99,TT,JJ? You have played flop/turn pretty weakly, so your hand is under represented some. He could just be picking up on this and betting the turn, with a lot of hands.

If his range is made up of mostly KK, AA &amp; Ax, and rarely folds any of these hands, when raised, then folding is fine. If you would fold out a lot of his range by shoving, then that would be a good play, also. But at NL25, he is probably calling a shove with KK and Ax.

Pokey 11-27-2007 02:54 PM

Re: NL25 QQ in RR pot, turn desicion

You called preflop intending to get it all-in on a safe flop. Conditional commitment is good poker strategy. Good.

You checked the flop intending (I hope) to fold to a bet. Since the flop wasn't safe, you're done with the hand. Good.

After the turn did not change your hand you continued with your plan and folded to a bet. Good.

I see nothing wrong with your play here. It's safe, and at uNL safe is best. There's no reason to get mixed up with a total unknown with a hand that is frequently drawing to two outs. He could easily be bluffing with the best hand, here, and he could also be slowplaying a set, two pair, or AK. Sure, bluffs are a possibility, but when a total unknown three-bets I'm not wanting to continue when an ace hits the board and I don't have one.

Don't feel bad -- you made a safe play and avoided risking your stack when you did not have enough information to know whether that was a good idea or not. Without a read to the contrary, trust your opponents and avoid these unpleasant, high-volatility situations that are either narrowly +EV or extremely -EV.