Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Small Stakes Limit (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   Flop check (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=449362)

Rico Suave 07-12-2007 11:40 AM

Flop check

I wanted to get your opinions on this flop check.

Pretty meh online game.

Don't know much about MP1. He seems aggressive enough, seemed normal for typical online 3/6 guy--though I don't know what to make of the open limp.

MP2 likes to overlimp alot. He peels flops quite a bit, plays the turn more aggressively than flops, and goes to showdown a lot.

MP2 knows I am pretty aggressive preflop, postflop, but I don't showdown tons, and probably fold too much postflop.

3/6 Hold'em (10 handed)

Preflop: Hero is MP3 with K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, MP1 calls, MP2 calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, MP1 calls, MP2 calls.

Flop: (7.33 SB) 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
MP1 checks, MP2 checks, Hero checks.

I bet here 99.9% of the time, for all the obvious reasons (best hand, no free cards, position, yada yada yada). I am pretty sure that the responses will mostly reflect that sentiment.

However, is there any argument for checking in this situation? I am getting called on that flop a ton, and getting c/r a decent amount. Checking does not mean giving up, as I can still call/raise/bet the turn depend on turn card and action. I also know my check will look out of place, as any hand is betting there nearly 100% of the time.

So, any takers?

StrictlyStrategy 07-12-2007 12:01 PM

Re: Flop check

Bet simply for value.

KitCloudkicker 07-12-2007 12:06 PM

i bet this flop 100% of the time.

1) value
2) initiative
3) dont give away free cards to random hands that pair up on the turn
4) people pay me off more when i actually have a hand

make it 4-5 handed and then you have a discussion.

BigBadBabar 07-12-2007 12:11 PM

i agree with the above points, and add one more: checking behind here basically turns your hand face up and allows your opponents to play better against you on the turn and river.

TheCount212 07-12-2007 01:13 PM

Betting will likely confirm that you are now ahead. Checking behind, on the other hand, tells you nothing about what your opponents hold.

jstill 07-12-2007 01:15 PM

u kno wut u shoulda done

Kurn, son of Mogh 07-12-2007 01:51 PM

First of all, you don't have to cb all the time. 2nd, there are a number of flops/situations where I won't bet the flop after raising preflop.

This isn't one of them.

StrictlyStrategy 07-12-2007 02:01 PM

I'd check Qh Jh here.

Elverian 07-12-2007 02:25 PM

How are you betting for value with ace high against 2 opponents. I'd still cbett here as it's a flop unlikely to have hit the opponents (I'd prefer one). The danger is that a call was from a mid pair. If they call your cbet you have outs as long as they didn't make a set.At least then you know where you stand.

StrictlyStrategy 07-12-2007 02:39 PM

Your first statement contradicts itself completely.

A hand like 55-66 will probably fastplay this a little more.