Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Other Other Topics (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   How long is your lunch break? (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=557643)

garcia1000 11-30-2007 12:23 AM

How long is your lunch break?

Thinly veiled brag post, but I'm curious as to how long your lunch break is.

I believe the standard is one hour? But that some people work through lunch, some people eat at their desks?

Do white collar and blue collar jobs have different lunch lengths? I heard somewhere it's half hour for some people.

When does your lunch start? 1PM? 12:30PM?

My lunch is from 12:30PM to 2:30PM. It is a decent lunch hour.

Do Americans eat sandwiches for lunch every day?

econophile 11-30-2007 12:27 AM

Re: How long is your lunch break?

i set my own lunch break unless i have to work around meetings

typically take an hour and eat at my desk while surfing the internet

CrazyEyez 11-30-2007 12:31 AM

Once we left the office and drove to a theater to watch Borat over lunch. BEST DAY EVER.

stabn 11-30-2007 12:35 AM

Fifty seven minutes.

pmdvert18 11-30-2007 12:35 AM

I typically take a pre-lunch from 11:30-12 PM and shoot the [censored]/eat lunch. We have a cafeteria/catering service that comes in daily. At 12 PM we go to the local bar and gambool on Golden Tee.

This summer I played 9 holes of golf with a co-worker during lunch break.

d10 11-30-2007 12:41 AM

Standard is 11:30-1pm, but that usually stretches into 2 hours, and if I feel like taking more or taking it at a different time it's not a problem.

4 High 11-30-2007 12:42 AM

I usually take about 15 minutes.

JJSCOTT2 11-30-2007 12:46 AM

I've never really worked in an office job for an extended period of time but I don't understand the idea of a defined lunch break for office workers. Or a defined workday for that matter, my mom's office requires people to be there between some key hours of the day so they can schedule meetings accordingly but other than that it's work whenever you need to to get your job done. I think that's how it should be, people are on salary anyway.

tagtastic 11-30-2007 12:48 AM

If people in America have long lunch breaks for their jobs, it's usually not just for eating lunch, but accomplishing something outside of work (even if that's recreation). Nobody here takes 2-3 hours to eat a leisurely lunch, it's just not in our culture.

Fortunately for me I don't have a real job or required work hours, so finding time for lunch is pretty easy. That is if I happen to be awake at lunchtime. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Tony_P 11-30-2007 12:57 AM

Most days I take 45 minutes to eat and shoot the [censored] with coworkers in the conference room. sometimes I eat at my desk when it's busy. sometimes I go to a cigar lounge and smoke. sometimes on a slow day 8-10 of us will go to a bar or restaurant and have a 2 hour leisurely lunch, apparently despite the fact we're in america.