Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Politics (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=43)
-   -   I don't know anything about politics (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=557627)

pergesu 11-30-2007 12:04 AM

I don\'t know anything about politics

What are the first five books I should read?

I realize that we're supposed to keep one-line posts to a minimum, but as I said, I don't really know anything. I'd like to learn though.

ikestoys 11-30-2007 12:04 AM

Re: I don\'t know anything about politics

ron paul would fix it imo...

by the internetz

iron81 11-30-2007 12:05 AM

Are you interested in any aspect of politics? Current events? Philosophical?

Scary_Tiger 11-30-2007 12:12 AM

I don't know about this reading books approach, do you have opinions on issues? There's a lot of information out there, in interesting videos and informative articles or blog posts.

I'm assuming you're American so I'd recommend reading the Constitution. Oh, but definitely read this quote:

[ QUOTE ]
The time will come when we entrust the conduct of our affairs to the men who understand that their first duty as public officials is to divest themselves of the power that they have been given. It will come when Americans, in hundreds of communities throughout the nation, decide to put the man in office who is pledged to enforce the Constitution and restore the Republic. Who will proclaim in a campaign speech: 'I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them. It is not to inaugurate new programs, but to cancel the old ones that do violence to the Constitution, or that have failed in their purpose, or that impose on the people an unwarranted financial burden. I will not attempt to discover whether legislation is “needed” before I have first determined whether it is constitutionally permissible. And if I should later be attacked for neglecting my constituents’ “interests,” I shall reply that I was informed their main interest is liberty and that in that cause I am doing the very best I can. Barry Goldwater

[/ QUOTE ]

pergesu 11-30-2007 12:13 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Are you interested in any aspect of politics? Current events? Philosophical?

[/ QUOTE ]
I would like to develop a historical, theoretical, and philosophical understanding that would help me interpret current events.

iron81 11-30-2007 12:16 AM

In that case, I would start with the Federalist Papers. I'm sure you can find a compendium somewhere.

lehighguy 11-30-2007 12:27 AM

If you really want to understand the deep issues in politics, especially american politics, I'd start with things like the constitution and the federalist papers as iron said.

Nearly every major political idealogy has at least a few famous works that are considered guidebooks.

Money2Burn 11-30-2007 12:29 AM

[ QUOTE ]
In that case, I would start with the Federalist Papers. I'm sure you can find a compendium somewhere.

[/ QUOTE ]

It would be cool if you started a "Recomended Reading" thread and stickied it. I think a lot of people would find it useful. I know I would. Unfortunately, I'm someone who's formed most of my political opinions by talking to others. I like to read and would definately like to read some good political books.

xorbie 11-30-2007 03:13 AM

A People's History of the US, Howard Zinn. Hopefully the title is right.

Cumulonimbus 11-30-2007 03:34 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

this book is soooo hard to finish imo. but great. just looong and detailed.

Taso 11-30-2007 03:41 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not surprised you suggested this. While I don't agree with Zinn on a lot, I think it is a good book to read as it does cover a lot of key American history.

goodsamaritan 11-30-2007 03:50 AM

I would suggest reading Plato's Republic for a philosophical background to modern politics. Don't be deterred by the people who disdain the book because of its conclusions but don't understand the positive that comes with the thought process stimulated by the book.

vulturesrow 11-30-2007 04:21 AM

I agree that the Federalist papers are a great place to start. Also concur with the recommendation on Plato. I'll try to give some specific books at a later point, but allow me to throw out the following. Basically, there are several key contributors to the American polity. Greek philosophical writings on the nature of the state, the Roman system of government, English common law, and the ethical heritage of the Judeo-Christian religions. So basically anything you can read on those things will help you gain a better understanding of how America came into being. I'll try to come up with some specific titles, Im too tired right now though. Hope this helps

ALawPoker 11-30-2007 05:18 AM

[ QUOTE ]
What are the first five books I should read?

I realize that we're supposed to keep one-line posts to a minimum, but as I said, I don't really know anything. I'd like to learn though.

[/ QUOTE ]

You don't need to read books. You just need to take Ferris Bueller's advice, and stop and look around once in a while.

This is what's important to understand first:

-"Politics" is human behavior.

-Politicians have a lot to personally gain by winning elections.

-The strategy of a politician (or at least the ones who tend to win) is to do and say whatever is required to win. Politicians that do not have an effective strategy will tend to die out.

-The average Joe does not make expert decisions on difficult decision X, Y, and Z, because he A.) is not necessarily an expert on the matter and B.) does not necessarily have a vested interest in the result. His opinion on most things that the politician speaks of will be naturally haphazard.

-In democracy, the average Joe votes for people he thinks offer the best solution to problems.

-What each party stands for becomes a loose reflection of the Joes' collective ideas, in a strategic attempt to win more support than the other side.

The rest is just details. Before you learn too much, it's good to make sure you have a grasp of what drives the mechanism.

AlexM 11-30-2007 05:33 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I would suggest reading Plato's Republic for a philosophical background to modern politics. Don't be deterred by the people who disdain the book because of its conclusions but don't understand the positive that comes with the thought process stimulated by the book.

[/ QUOTE ]

That book bothered me soooo much. Not because of the conclusions but because of the fact that I wanted to argue back and couldn't! [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

tame_deuces 11-30-2007 05:54 AM

"The prince" by Machiavelli is an entertaining read. Not because it is very endearing, but it WILL put politics into a historical context for you.

And don't trust stuff blindly. Political history is a bit of of mesh between history, law, philosophy & economics and often strongly coloured by opinion of individuals in those fields.

clowntable 11-30-2007 06:33 AM

"Economics in one Lesson" - Henry Hazlitt

valenzuela 11-30-2007 09:11 AM

Buy a book on introduction on political philosophy, political ideas throughout time or something along that line.

zasterguava 11-30-2007 10:02 AM

Firstly, don't read the constitution if you are only going to read 5 books. The constitution is too ambiguous and quite honestly if you approach it in a favourable light your doing yourself a huge disfavour. Basically, Ron Paul, Goldwater et al are unwittingly proposing an anti-democratic 'slave state' in their unflinching admiration of the constitution and in their tiresome rhetoric thereof.

If you are interested in politics concerning the best way to enslave and uphold the power and interest of the business elite you'll probably like the Constitution and Madisons proclamation that the sole aim of it is to 'protect the opulent minority against the majority' which he later refuted stating that the 'opulent minority' had become private power/ the business elite becoming the 'tools and tyrants of government.'

I would recommend Bakunin's 'God and State' to instill a cynical and critical outwards looking approach to everything you later read on politics and the framing of society.

scorcher863 11-30-2007 10:52 AM

If you are serious about educating yourself, I would suggest buying an American Federal Government textbook or enrolling in an AFG class at your local community college. Teachers can speed up the learning process. My basic understanding of the american political system came entirely from this class.

The class will take you through all the positions and processes of the government and provide historical insight.

Thug Bubbles 11-30-2007 11:29 AM

Concerning American Politics/history, definately check out Thomas Paine. I'd say check out all his works, they're not very long in total, but specifically look into The Rights of Man, and Age of Reason. His writing is interesting, lean, and very passionate.

zasterguava 11-30-2007 11:36 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Concerning American Politics/history, definately check out Thomas Paine. I'd say check out all his works, they're not very long in total, but specifically look into The Rights of Man, and Age of Reason. His writing is interesting, lean, and very passionate.

[/ QUOTE ]

I read Chrisopther Hitchens biography of Paine; thats a good starting point.

Oh and you don't know anything till you read some Marx.

Borodog 11-30-2007 11:44 AM

[ QUOTE ]
In that case, I would start with the Anti-Federalist Papers. I'm sure you can find a compendium somewhere.

[/ QUOTE ]

Also, whoever said Economics In One Lesson is correct.

Murray Rothbard's Power & Market.

Robert Higgs has a couple of excellent books on Leviathan.

SNOWBALL 11-30-2007 11:48 AM

Howard Zinn' A People's History of the United States for American History

Noam Chomsky and Edward Herman's Manufacturing Consent For understanding the media

Upside Down by Eduardo Galeano for learning about world poverty

Robert L Heilbroner's The Worldly Philosophers for learning about economic history and theory

Rousseau's The Social Contract for learning about the justification and purpose of government.

Scary_Tiger 11-30-2007 02:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The constitution is too ambiguous and quite honestly if you approach it in a favourable light your doing yourself a huge disfavour. Basically, Ron Paul, Goldwater et al are unwittingly proposing an anti-democratic 'slave state' in their unflinching admiration of the constitution and in their tiresome rhetoric thereof.

[/ QUOTE ]

I like how you equate a document which basically advocates the federal government doing nothing to an "anti-democratic slave state".

lehighguy 11-30-2007 02:49 PM

Sounds less like A reading list and more like YOUR reading list :P

lehighguy 11-30-2007 02:51 PM

The Constitution is a sinister document meant to enslave the people?

Well, at least your being honest about your insanity.

lehighguy 11-30-2007 02:53 PM

It depends what your interest is. Tracking the latest movements of the heard is both depressing and boring for me. I enjoy studying what policies and government forms might actually work even if there is no hope for them in my lifetime.

valenzuela 11-30-2007 02:55 PM

I have this book, imo its slighlty biased to the left

Kurn, son of Mogh 11-30-2007 03:01 PM

1st, before you read anything else, read the US Constitution. While some things there are vague, it is still the rules of governance for the US.

After that, read anything anyone else here suggests and always ask yourself if what you are reading fits into the framework of the Constitution.

zasterguava 11-30-2007 03:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The Constitution is a sinister document meant to enslave the people?

Well, at least your being honest about your insanity.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thats not what I said. What I will see is that even the old Fuedal systems prevalent in Europe granted people 'the right to live' more thn the constitution.

xorbie 11-30-2007 03:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Please don't start with something like this. IMO, try to come up with your own philosophy first, then read other's ideas. Trying to read philosophy of politics without understanding history and politics first is pointless.

xorbie 11-30-2007 03:15 PM

If you do want to read up on political/economic philosophy, just go to wikipedia and look up Plato, Aristotle, Locke, Rousseau, Paine, Machiavelli, Marx. I'd persoanlly also try to read up on Emmerson, Thoreau, Nietzsche, a few western Marxists (I like Marcuse). Then read up on Adam Smith, Keynes, Friedman, Ken Arrow, Paul Samualson.

You'll realize that it's impossible to understand politics and history without understanding social physchology, economics, some cultural anthropology, etc. etc.

zasterguava 11-30-2007 03:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If you do want to read up on political/economic philosophy, just go to wikipedia and look up Plato, Aristotle, Locke, Rousseau, Paine, Machiavelli, Marx. I'd persoanlly also try to read up on Emmerson, Thoreau, Nietzsche, a few western Marxists (I like Marcuse). Then read up on Adam Smith, Keynes, Friedman, Ken Arrow, Paul Samualson.

You'll realize that it's impossible to understand politics and history without understanding social physchology, economics, some cultural anthropology, etc. etc.

[/ QUOTE ]

QFT. I accidently stumbled ( [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]) across a collection of ebooks featuring most of the above authors; like 1000+ ebooks. Note; was not a torrent; but a private collection and can not divulge in how to acquire it.

vulturesrow 11-30-2007 03:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

QFT. I accidently stumbled ( [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]) across a collection of ebooks featuring most of the above authors; like 1000+ ebooks. Note; was not a torrent; but a private collection and can not divulge in how to acquire it.

[/ QUOTE ]

zas,

PRetty please? [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

xorbie,

Nice post. Wikipedia is a great place to start researching.

Snowball,

That is a ridiculous list, as lehighguy pointed out.

faarcyde 11-30-2007 04:08 PM

Whatever you do, please don't read blogs until you have researched politics and history in depth and are able to form your own opinions instead of just regurgitating what some failed journalist or poli-sci major without a job has to say about Alberto Gonzalez.