Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Sporting Events (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=48)
-   -   TCU OWNS the Big 12... (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=214070)

tdarko 09-17-2006 06:16 PM

Re: TCU OWNS the Big 12...

[ QUOTE ]
TCU went to NORMAN and won a big game there...OU >>>>>>>>>>>>&g t;>>>>>>>>>>>> > Texas A&M.

[/ QUOTE ]

OU is better than A&M but winning IN COLLEGE STATION is tough no matter what year and what A&M team is on the field, the good the bad or the great. That is a damn tough place to walk into and win, this is why I said go to their place and beat them...notice I said UT anywhere.

[ QUOTE ]
As it stands, yeah - maybe Tech isn't as good as they've been in years past. At this stage it's hard to tell how much is Tech's offense not being as great and how much is TCU's defense being really good. But why try to take things away from them? They went into Norman last year, beat a top 5 team at their place...the first September loss of Stoops' career at OU and only the second home loss of the Stoops era. That's a big deal...were they as good as they were at the end of the season? No. But neither was TCU (they got WAY better the moment Jeff Ballard took over for Tye Gunn at quarterback).....so what's your point?

[/ QUOTE ]

My point? There is a reason that OU went from being a preseason top 5 ranking to slippin all the way down to where TCU is when Bomar was kicked off the team. Bomar is better than any QB at TCU, please don't homer up this thread and think otherwise. By the end of the season OU was a top 10 team in the country (more like 9 or 10) and TCU just wasn't and isn't.

[ QUOTE ]
The Tech game...first time in 6 years they've been held to such few points. Texas's D hasn't held them down like that, nor A&M's, nor Oklahoma's or Colorado's or Nebraska's...maybe they'll prove to be a really bad offense this year and those schools will all have success stopping them just like TCU did. But until they do, why knock down the achievement?

[/ QUOTE ]

Why are you so worried about a score, especially when nobody else has even played them this year? This is so weird. TCU won, they are better, do they own the Big XII b/c they beat a downgraded team that was already one dimensional to begin with? No chance. Just so you know, Texas Tech may be the all-time most OVER-RATED team to ever step on a football field.

[ QUOTE ]
We're damned if we do here...if TCFuckinU stops someone or shuts them down -- it MUST be because that team just isn't very good...and even if that team does good things at other times in the season (like OU beating Oregon), it's "well, they weren't very good WHEN they played TCU." This is exactly the disrespect Gary Patterson's talking about and getting sick of...I think rightfully so. I realize I'm a fan and I'm biased. Such is life.

[/ QUOTE ]

You're not damned if you do here, well not with me. Just don't beat TT, Baylor, ISU, and squeek by OU while they are at their weakest and most frazzled in nearly a decade and claim that you own the Big XII. That is just weird.

[ QUOTE ]
Baylor...last year was their best since joining the Big 12. I think this season will eclipse that, but I could be dead wrong. I think they're not quite the laughingstock they used to be...that's how I should have put it. They just happen to be the fourth Big 12 team we've beaten over the last two years.

[/ QUOTE ]

If they tied their shoes correctly last year it would have been their best year since joining the Big XII, who cares? They are horrendous. When they win a game Waco shuts down and two-steps the night away because they know it doesn't happen too often, that isn't really the sign of a team you should be proud of to beat.

[ QUOTE ]
The point is...TCU never seems to earn any respect. Year after year they drop 15 spots in the rankings just for HAVING an offseason, people continually doubt them and treat them like a second-tier program...when in actuality they are better than most "big conference" programs year in and year out over the last 8 years (since the beginning of the Franchione-Patterson era).

[/ QUOTE ]

If anyone has had the right to complain in the past about respect b/c of not being in a "big conference" in accordance to rankings, BCS, bowl games, etc. it is West Virginia and maybe them and/or Louisville this year. TCU came close that one year but didn't they lose to SMU and it ruined their perfect season? This was a few years back, I remember this b/c it was a WV-like season in which there was discussion whether or not if they would get the title game if they had gone undefeated--which they probably wouldn't have been rewarded.

You say they are better than most big conference programs, well yeah some years they are but that isn't saying much considering the worst teams in each conference aren't any good and TCU is, what is the point of this comment? You put TCU in the Big XII and I would say they finish 4th in the Big XII South. You will disagree with this wholeheartedly but there is a big difference in playing one Big XII team a year (maybe 2) and facing a grind every single saturday. I actually wish they would get Baylor the [censored] out of the Big XII and put TCU in there to beef it up, b/c in my eyes the Big XII isn't as strong as many of the other conferences.

dkgojackets 09-17-2006 07:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
For a mid-major to earn respectablity, you can't lose to second-rate teams every year. Finish undefeated, beating all of the teams you are supposed to, and then you'll get respect.

[/ QUOTE ]

Will we, or will we get bounced from the Top 25 altogether in the offseason like Utah did? Granted they lost their coach and QB...but -- top 5 finish after 13-0 season and BCS bowl win somehow = Out of top 25 to begin the next year...ALL because they play in the Mountain West.

Though I agree with your point...the Frogs are notorious for dropping a regular season game they have no business losing, and that has kept them from the accolades they'd have otherwise received by now. Perhaps this is the year they break through.

[/ QUOTE ]

I never said it was fair, but that's just the way it is. For the record, I really hope TCU finishes unbeaten.

MyTurn2Raise 09-18-2006 06:42 AM

I still don't respect TCU

I hope they get a BCS invite and play a real team, so I can enjoy them getting shreaded

It's one thing to get up for the occasional opponent. It's something totally different to beat top teams week after week.

bottomset 09-18-2006 07:52 AM

[ QUOTE ]

I hope they get a BCS invite and play a real team, so I can enjoy them getting shreaded

[/ QUOTE ]

they'll be like Utah and play the worst(or 2ndworst) team in history of the BCS, win and think it means something

TheHip41 09-18-2006 01:07 PM

TC who?

lastchance 09-18-2006 02:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

they'll be like Utah and play the worst(or 2ndworst) team in history of the BCS, win and think it means something

[/ QUOTE ]
Urban Meyer's Utah team was solid and probably could've beaten/played any team in the country, according to Sagarin, except the USC juggernaut. They were impressive. They beat A&M by 20, Pittsburgh by 28. They beat every team they faced by at least 14 points. That's the type of thing you want to see from a mid-major looking for a BCS bid.

SammyKid11 09-18-2006 08:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]

OU is better than A&M but winning IN COLLEGE STATION is tough no matter what year and what A&M team is on the field, the good the bad or the great. That is a damn tough place to walk into and win, this is why I said go to their place and beat them...notice I said UT anywhere.

[/ QUOTE ]

You're being so arbitrary. You want us to go into College Station and win a game? No problem. If you think Texas A&M could handle TCU, even in CS, you're absolutely crazy. Why won't Texas A&M schedule us? I dunno. Maybe Fran doesn't want to get embarassed by his former assistant coach.

But the point is this. Why does TCU have to beat Texas A&M in College Station to earn respectability? They already beat a much better football team in a house where that team has a much better record than the Aggies. If they'd beaten A&M in College Station, you or someone else would be just as likely to say, "go to Norman and win and maybe then we'll talk."

[ QUOTE ]
My point? There is a reason that OU went from being a preseason top 5 ranking to slippin all the way down to where TCU is when Bomar was kicked off the team. Bomar is better than any QB at TCU, please don't homer up this thread and think otherwise. By the end of the season OU was a top 10 team in the country (more like 9 or 10) and TCU just wasn't and isn't.

[/ QUOTE ]

Um, at this point it's hard to tell whether or not Rhett Bomar is a better QB than anyone at TCU. He did play that day in Norman and did NOT look good. Fine, it was his first game...but Jeff Ballard rallied the Frogs from down 18 in his first game...and he's gone on to win every game he's started, despite a rash of injuries to his primary playmakers, all while posting impressive numbers.

And uh, TCU WAS a top 10 team at the end of last season, whether you want to acknowledge that ranking or not. OU wasn't.

[ QUOTE ]
Why are you so worried about a score, especially when nobody else has even played them this year? This is so weird. TCU won, they are better, do they own the Big XII b/c they beat a downgraded team that was already one dimensional to begin with? No chance. Just so you know, Texas Tech may be the all-time most OVER-RATED team to ever step on a football field.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hey, NEWSFLASH...HOW you beat someone is important in college football. A defense that holds a really high-powered offense to 3 points for the first time in six years...is a big deal.

Why are they automatically a downgraded offense, in your mind? As you said, NOBODY ELSE HAS EVEN PLAYED THEM THIS YEAR. Could it be because they were shut down by TCU, and the automatic reaction is to assume this means their offense isn't any good anymore instead of assuming that TCU's defense is in fact very good?

[ QUOTE ]
You're not damned if you do here, well not with me. Just don't beat TT, Baylor, ISU, and squeek by OU while they are at their weakest and most frazzled in nearly a decade and claim that you own the Big XII. That is just weird.

[/ QUOTE ]

Obviously, owning the Big 12 is due to the fact that we've played four teams, two of them ranked, in the last two years and beaten them all. TCU is not as good as Texas right now and I'm willing to freely admit that. So in that sense, my thread title was intentionally provocative. But...other than Texas, exactly who in the Big 12 is better than TCU? You might have a case for OU even though I'll call out scoreboard on that one...yes, OU's improved since game 1 of 2005 -- as have the Frogs. But TCU's ahead in the rankings and won a recent meeting in Norman. So you can understand why I'm going to scoff at any notion that they're inferior to the Sooners. Who else? Tech? Just dispelled that. Baylor, ISU? Just dispelled that. A&M? You mean the team that only beat Army in San Antonio by two yards? Nope. OSU, Colorado? Give me a freaking break. Nebraska? Okay, that's close, I'd love to see that matchup on the field.

Anyway, what I'm really upset with is that if TCU were IN the Big 12, they'd at least have a shot at respectability each year, getting a chance to prove it on the field. With having been relegated to the MWC, it seemingly doesn't matter who we beat, someone finds a reason to knock us down anyway.

[/ QUOTE ]If they tied their shoes correctly last year it would have been their best year since joining the Big XII, who cares? They are horrendous. When they win a game Waco shuts down and two-steps the night away because they know it doesn't happen too often, that isn't really the sign of a team you should be proud of to beat.

[/ QUOTE ]

We were proud to beat them because we ought to be in their spot and it was nice to show that. It was an afterthought to even mention them, I've admitted they're not a good football team (even though I have a feeling they'll compete for a bowl bid this year), why are we still talking about it?

[ QUOTE ]
If anyone has had the right to complain in the past about respect b/c of not being in a "big conference" in accordance to rankings, BCS, bowl games, etc. it is West Virginia and maybe them and/or Louisville this year. TCU came close that one year but didn't they lose to SMU and it ruined their perfect season? This was a few years back, I remember this b/c it was a WV-like season in which there was discussion whether or not if they would get the title game if they had gone undefeated--which they probably wouldn't have been rewarded.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'll agree with you that WVU and Louisville haven't been getting the respect they deserve, especially this year. But at least they've got an automatic bid for winning their conference. ONE of them will be in a BCS bowl this year whether they slip up once or not. And deservingly so. I do think if either of them go undefeated, they could well wind up in the national title game.

[ QUOTE ]
You put TCU in the Big XII and I would say they finish 4th in the Big XII South.

[/ QUOTE ]

What a ridiculous and completely unfounded assertion, based on the EVIDENCE. Yeah, playing tough teams each week makes it harder. What about TCU makes you think they can't handle the physical pounding (both Tech and Baylor literally took "we are TIRED" timeouts in the 4th quarters of their games against TCU)?

tdarko 09-19-2006 12:15 AM

Sammy,

I know you love this team so I am not going to go on and on. I even supported them by saying I wish they were in the Big XII...hell they deserve it.

Anyway, when I said OU was a top ten team by the end of the year last year I was saying by how well they played...they were more underrated than the Horned Frogs, everyone doubted them, most didn't think they had a shot against Oregon simply b/c they had some gritty frosh QB to try and take the load off AP. Their ranking didn't give them respect as to the team they actually were, I wasn't talking actual rankings. But by preseason talk, when Bomar was still on the team, there was talk of them being top 5 in the country to start out which to me was pretty high but they would have certainly been dangerous this year.

TT is downgraded. This is the first year in awhile they haven't had a 5th year senior that has spent the last 4 years of his life learning Leech's offense to take control of the team, instead it is a sophmore that barely played last year. I actually watched him play last year in the Cotton Bowl against Alabama as a freshman and he was a mess, he didn't even realize that in the shotgun the ball was snapped on his foot and not his count--FUMBLE!!! He WILL be good but he is young, and makes TONS of mistakes like calling a timeout with ten seconds left in the game against UTEP when they had no timeouts left that gave them a delay of game and that penalty put them out of field goal range...OT here we come!! Yes, they are downgraded, they simply don't have the firepower that they used to.

I say 4th place as a knee-jerk reaction b/c if that's where they finished in the South I wouldn't be surprised just as if they finished 3rd I wouldn't either, but if they finished 2nd I would not only be surprised but impressed as well.

BTW, the A&M game is tough to predict b/c Fran is such a mind-blowingly bad coach that he could single handidly lose the game...but anything can happen in that God forsaken place they call Kyle field.

Anyway, let's just hope they aren't impressive week after week and then lose to New Mexico b/c they didn't "show up."

SammyKid11 09-19-2006 12:33 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Sammy,

I know you love this team so I am not going to go on and on.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks for your understanding...you obviously know what it's like to be partisan for a sports team.

[ QUOTE ]
Anyway, let's just hope they aren't impressive week after week and then lose to New Mexico b/c they didn't "show up."

[/ QUOTE ]

If they lose any game after their fifth (they play BYU and Utah - two flawed but decent teams - for their next two), I will start a thread titled "tell me all about how the Horned Frogs blow their chance at greatness every single [censored] year."

tdarko 09-19-2006 12:42 AM

Sammy,

[ QUOTE ]
Thanks for your understanding...you obviously know what it's like to be partisan for a sports team.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yup. And they have been a weak spot for me every Nov-Mayish for most of my life!

[ QUOTE ]
If they lose any game after their fifth (they play BYU and Utah - two flawed but decent teams - for their next two), I will start a thread titled "tell me all about how the Horned Frogs blow their chance at greatness every single [censored] year."

[/ QUOTE ]

Yea, I looked at the schedule and it would be alright for a grown man to weep if they lost a game after Utah.

~td