Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Special Sklansky Forum (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=76)
-   -   How About This Game Theory Problem (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=359375)

David Sklansky 03-20-2007 01:10 AM

How About This Game Theory Problem

So today when I got into the 25-50 blind no limit, nine handed game at the Bellagio they told me there was a seven deuce bonus. Win the pot with 72, even without a flop and every player must give you $200. Which brings up this question.

Seven players fold to you in the small blind. You have 2000 more in your stack and must move all in or fold. With what hands should you? What should the big blind call you with? If I'm reading the chart in the Mathematics of Poker correctly, the move in hands would normally be any pair, any ace suited, K7 or better suited, Q8 or better suited, J9 or better suited, T8 or better suited, 98suited, 87 suited, A7 or better offsuit, KT or better offsuit, QT or better offsuit, or JT offsuit.

The calling hands would be fives or better, A8 or better suited, KJ or better suited, AT or better offsuit, and KQ offsuit.

Does the $1600 bonus (plus your extra $200 risk) change that to any signicant degree?

Spence 03-20-2007 03:32 AM

Re: How About This Game Theory Problem

I'll take a swing at this. Add in 27 and 97s for raising all in. throw in 33-44 (not too sure about this), A7s, and 27 for calling.

Justin A 03-20-2007 04:33 AM

Obviously you should move in with 72 now.

Your opponent should only add A9o to the calling hands. He cannot call with 72.

I assume that if your opponent only calls with 12 more combos that it should barely change the move-in hands if at all. So no, the $1600 bonus does not change that to a significant degree, other than moving in with 72 of course.

Spence 03-20-2007 02:03 PM

I was incorrect about calling with 72, wouldn't be getting the pot odds even with such a wide range, but yes move all-in with 72, and add A7s to call list, why add A9o but not A7s?

Justin A 03-20-2007 03:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I was incorrect about calling with 72, wouldn't be getting the pot odds even with such a wide range, but yes move all-in with 72, and add A7s to call list, why add A9o but not A7s?

[/ QUOTE ]

I ran sims on PokerStove and A9o got over the threshold as a call hand but A7s did not.

drunkencowboy 03-20-2007 03:47 PM

I assume you have only 200$ in your stack, not 2000$ as I still dont see why must you must move all in or fold?

Am I missing something?

Medrakil 03-20-2007 04:12 PM

It's a hypothetical situation, you have 2k, and some rule says it's folding or shoving only.

(right?)

etizzle 03-20-2007 04:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I assume that if your opponent only calls with 12 more combos that it should barely change the move-in hands if at all. So no, the $1600 bonus does not change that to a significant degree, other than moving in with 72 of course.

[/ QUOTE ]

of course you call with 72

drunkencowboy 03-20-2007 04:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

of course you call with 72

[/ QUOTE ]

I assume you mean that your opponent in the BB will of course call with 72off. This is retarded.

* He doesnt get the money unless he wins!

Spence 03-20-2007 07:33 PM

Thats weird how A9o went over the threshold and not A7s, you would think you'd rather play a hand that dominates the only other hand that would supposedly be played. I did not use any programs etc to come to my decision (which is an error in itself) I used logic. I made a mistaken with calling with 27 without doing a quick run of pot odds, which you would not be getting enough of.