Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Politics (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=43)
-   -   I don't know anything about politics (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=557627)

Thug Bubbles 11-30-2007 11:29 AM

Re: I don\'t know anything about politics

Concerning American Politics/history, definately check out Thomas Paine. I'd say check out all his works, they're not very long in total, but specifically look into The Rights of Man, and Age of Reason. His writing is interesting, lean, and very passionate.

zasterguava 11-30-2007 11:36 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Concerning American Politics/history, definately check out Thomas Paine. I'd say check out all his works, they're not very long in total, but specifically look into The Rights of Man, and Age of Reason. His writing is interesting, lean, and very passionate.

[/ QUOTE ]

I read Chrisopther Hitchens biography of Paine; thats a good starting point.

Oh and you don't know anything till you read some Marx.

Borodog 11-30-2007 11:44 AM

[ QUOTE ]
In that case, I would start with the Anti-Federalist Papers. I'm sure you can find a compendium somewhere.

[/ QUOTE ]

Also, whoever said Economics In One Lesson is correct.

Murray Rothbard's Power & Market.

Robert Higgs has a couple of excellent books on Leviathan.

SNOWBALL 11-30-2007 11:48 AM

Howard Zinn' A People's History of the United States for American History

Noam Chomsky and Edward Herman's Manufacturing Consent For understanding the media

Upside Down by Eduardo Galeano for learning about world poverty

Robert L Heilbroner's The Worldly Philosophers for learning about economic history and theory

Rousseau's The Social Contract for learning about the justification and purpose of government.

Scary_Tiger 11-30-2007 02:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The constitution is too ambiguous and quite honestly if you approach it in a favourable light your doing yourself a huge disfavour. Basically, Ron Paul, Goldwater et al are unwittingly proposing an anti-democratic 'slave state' in their unflinching admiration of the constitution and in their tiresome rhetoric thereof.

[/ QUOTE ]

I like how you equate a document which basically advocates the federal government doing nothing to an "anti-democratic slave state".

lehighguy 11-30-2007 02:49 PM

Sounds less like A reading list and more like YOUR reading list :P

lehighguy 11-30-2007 02:51 PM

The Constitution is a sinister document meant to enslave the people?

Well, at least your being honest about your insanity.

lehighguy 11-30-2007 02:53 PM

It depends what your interest is. Tracking the latest movements of the heard is both depressing and boring for me. I enjoy studying what policies and government forms might actually work even if there is no hope for them in my lifetime.

valenzuela 11-30-2007 02:55 PM

I have this book, imo its slighlty biased to the left

Kurn, son of Mogh 11-30-2007 03:01 PM

1st, before you read anything else, read the US Constitution. While some things there are vague, it is still the rules of governance for the US.

After that, read anything anyone else here suggests and always ask yourself if what you are reading fits into the framework of the Constitution.