Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Golf (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=95)
-   -   Let's Work On CrazyEyez' Swing (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=413571)

CrazyEyez 05-28-2007 12:01 AM

Let\'s Work On CrazyEyez\' Swing

thing of beauty

That down-the-line driver shot is at a horrible angle. It's better on the wedge.

This is the first time I've ever seen my swing. I knew I have problems coming over the top, which is obvious. I didn't know I take it back so flat - wtf? Am I too far from the ball?

Talk to me Goose.

esad 05-28-2007 12:21 AM

Re: Let\'s Work On CrazyEyez\' Swing

I'll say it before and I'll say it again...What does the ball do?

Yes, you are too flat, yes you are too far from the ball...etc, but if you hit the ball perfectly straight every time then it doesn't matter what it looks like. You'll need to tell us what your shots look like and what the problems are.

Shoot59 05-28-2007 01:24 AM

-I would start with reducing the hip turn, and keeping the right knee flexed in the backswing.
-Then I would get your takeaway knocked out (check golfdigest.com for some swing sequences, you will see some very similar things in the takeaway position where the club is horizontal to the ground.)

CrazyEyez 05-28-2007 01:36 AM

I'm wildly inconsistent. I have a roughly equal distribution of pull/pull-hooks, slices, pushes. With the driver, typically my first few holes are pushes/slices, then I'm straight for awhile, then by the end I'm pulling it and hitting snap-hooks. Irons I don't really spin much one way or the other, I just am 60/40 right/left.

[ QUOTE ]
I would start with reducing the hip turn

[/ QUOTE ]
See I feel like if I don't turn my hips and shoulders as much as possible on my back swing that my arms will get way ahead of my body and I'll come over the top even more. What is supposed to be accomplished by reducing my hip turn?

LimitGod 05-28-2007 03:59 AM

Tips for recording your swing using the video:

1. The camera from down the line must must must be at hand level (once in your golf posture) and down your hand line. Otherwise all thoughts on path/plane will be skewed.

THAT IS ALL

There is nothing I hate more than professionals using video to record swings that do not realize this and put the camera on a tall tripod down the target line.

OP Im not mad at you, Im mad at others but your post let me ramble so sorry.

RonMexico 05-28-2007 04:04 AM

I'm not a golf teacher, but I think you should really address the backswing plane. Coming back that flat tends to induce the over the top move on the downswing. Also, given the description of your ball flight distribution I wonder if you are hitting with your arms. When I try to "hit" the ball from the top with my arms and hands I get the same ball flights you are describing. That would also tend to produce the over the top move.

P.S. Does anyone know of a good free tool to grab frames from golf swing videos (ie, produce a swing sequence)?

LimitGod 05-28-2007 04:47 AM

WE DONT KNOW WHAT HIS SWING PLANE IS BECAUSE OF THE CAMERA ANGLE

I FEEL LIKE IM TAKING CRAZY PILLS, PLZ READ MY POST

Your swing looks fine, looks like you could do without the recoil on your followthrough.

(not like I know anything tho, just a lowly Class A professional)

Shoot59 05-28-2007 09:32 AM

Geez Limit....no need to shout.

OP is putting his swing on a poker forum and asking what we think. He doesn't want a lecture on camera angle. With that said, obviously a proper camera angle would be beneficial, but being the Class A that you are, you should be able to offer some input regarding his swing even if the angle is off.

CrazyEyez 05-28-2007 09:43 AM

LimitGod -
The third sequence is pretty close. Slightly below hand level and it's down the ball line instead of hand line. I don't know if you could tell but the video wasn't shot professionally. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] I did it myself and I obviously didn't line everything up really well. I'll try again another time.

In the meantime, any tips you might have on getting me inside-out and how/if it relates to my flat takeaway would be appreciated. Thanks.

JTrout 05-28-2007 10:15 AM

Keep the right knee flexed the same amount at the top as at address (as mentioned by shoot59).
This will limit hip turn, and stabilize your whole swing.

Among other things, limiting your hip turn will make you more consistent.
Part of the reason you have both pushes, pulls, hooks and slices is that your foundation (legs) is unstable.

Think about throwing a ball as far as you can.
You turn your shoulders and hips away from the target as your weight is on your back foot.
But,
there is a limit to the turn. If you pass that point, you lose both distance and accuracy in your throw.

This also creates a loss of balance, as is evident in a couple of your swings.

Here's the way I improved the stability of my right leg in the backswing:
Find a bench, table, car bumper, etc. that will not budge if you push it.
Set up (like your addressing the ball) with the outside of your right leg up against this object. And make practice backswings.

This object needs to brace you somewhere above the ankle and below the belt to work.
Things I use to practice this:
bench
heavy tables
desks
bed frames
car bumper, golf cart bumper
etc.

You don't have to have a club. What you have to have is space to put your right foot that is underneath the object.

Now that your right leg is braced, make BIG backswings by shifting more weight than usual to the inside part of your right foot.
Your left shoulder should be over your right foot.

The belt loop closest to your right pocket should move hardly at all.

As to the spot that is contacting the bench, it shouldn't slide or move backwards.

Do this as often as you can, and it will soon be a comfortable habit.
And you'll see much improvement in your golf shots!

Good luck!