Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Stud (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=22)
-   -   Question about Sklansky's "folding for one more bet" concept in 7CSFAP (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=215948)

whitelime 09-19-2006 04:16 PM

Question about Sklansky\'s \"folding for one more bet\" concept in 7CSFAP

He talks about a lot of specific situations where for example if you raise w/ KQT and get reraised by an A, you should fold for one more bet. He also talks about raising w/ a big upcard after a tight player limps w/ an 8 showing b/c he will probably fold a pair of eights there.

2 Questions:

1) Is it correct to steal and then fold for one more bet? It seems like your equity can never be close to bad enough for a fold to be correct.

2) Do people actually make these folds? IE. Is it worth it for me to make some thin reraises or raise tight limpers expecting them to fold for one more bet?

jon_1van 09-19-2006 04:58 PM

Re: Question about Sklansky\'s \"folding for one more bet\" concept in 7CSFAP

Very dependant on ante structure and opponent skill

It takes a good opponent to steal/fold 3rd. You really have to have stolen light (Q9)K to justify folding to a raise. And the smaller the ante the more you should be incline to fold when you've stolen light (however, when there is a small ante you shouldn't be stealing light all that often)

It takes a bigish ante (or a super nitty limper) to risk STEALING after a limper.

Andy B 09-22-2006 12:31 AM

Re: Question about Sklansky\'s \"folding for one more bet\" concept in 7C

I will sometimes attempt a steal and then fold for one more bet. More often I pay off like an ATM.

It is pretty uncommon for someone to voluntarily put money in the pot and then fold for one more bet. Yes, people make these folds once in a while, but I wouldn't raise in the hopes that someone would do it. How often do you see someone limp in in limit hold'em and then fold for one more bet? I can recall exactly one instance in which someone raised and then folded to a three-bet.

Bremen 09-22-2006 12:49 AM

[ QUOTE ]
How often do you see someone limp in in limit hold'em and then fold for one more bet?

[/ QUOTE ]
I see this quite often playing live (10/20). In fact I recently played a hand where the flop action went I bet, raise, call, call, I threebet, fold, fold, call. So go figure

whitelime 09-22-2006 03:17 AM

[ QUOTE ]
How often do you see someone limp in in limit hold'em and then fold for one more bet? I can recall exactly one instance in which someone raised and then folded to a three-bet.

[/ QUOTE ]

Is it just as bad in stud to fold to "one more bet" as it is in hold'em? Or is it something that actually is correct sometimes. (ie. limping and folding to a raise, or raising and folding to a reraise)

Rduke55 09-22-2006 10:42 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
How often do you see someone limp in in limit hold'em and then fold for one more bet? I can recall exactly one instance in which someone raised and then folded to a three-bet.

[/ QUOTE ]

Is it just as bad in stud to fold to "one more bet" as it is in hold'em? Or is it something that actually is correct sometimes. (ie. limping and folding to a raise, or raising and folding to a reraise)

[/ QUOTE ]

I think it's better to fold on 3rd in stud for one more bet than in HE because of the 3 card flop (as opposed to you only getting one card in stud and will probably have to call another bet).

Bartholow 09-22-2006 12:52 PM

I think Andy's talking about preflop.

Wilson 09-22-2006 01:53 PM

i did it 20mins ago... low limit... a 7,9,9,A folded to me and i got frisky (pretty ambitious/stupid at this table) with (98)T 2 flush into 2,6,6. the nitty guy with the 6 reraised and i folded.

btw, in limit hold'em, if u had a right to get in the pot in the first place ur pretty much neva enuff of a dog to fold for one more small bet preflop.

iamastud 09-22-2006 05:12 PM

It's pretty much a function of odds and outs in either game. in stud the money in pots vs the odds does not make puting in the ohter bet worth it, whereas in holdem, the odds are usually there, given more people in pot plus the 3 cards about to come. it is usually correct to call in holdem and usually correct to fold in stud.

Andy B 09-22-2006 08:46 PM

I did mean pre-flop. S&M would go so far as to say that you should never do it.