Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Small Stakes Shorthanded (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   A8s turn semibluff (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=556239)

efficacy 11-28-2007 07:06 AM

A8s turn semibluff

preflop: I open A8s in HJ, 27/20 CO 3-bets and we are go HU to the flop.

flop: J53r with one of my suit, I c/c (too thin?)

turn: 7 giving me a flush draw, I c/r. meh?

Burnsabre 11-28-2007 08:13 AM

Re: A8s turn semibluff

I think you pretty much have to peel this flop else you'll get run over, however, if I'm villain I 2 barrel this board close to 100 percent of the time, I like. Make sure to hit your flush on the end tho.

maxter 11-28-2007 08:35 AM

The flop peel is damn close or -EV, depending on our opponent's range.

If we assume he has 66+,A9s+,ATo+,KQs, wich is ~50% equity against typical HJ open (Stox recommendation), we have 20% equity in that flop.

The problem is that we are dominated by 88+,A9s+,ATo (having 0 or 3 outs), and that's 83,51% of his range. Counting 1,5 outs for our redraw, we have less than 5 outs, mostly with negative implied odds (having 8:1). So I would fold (in the heart of the battle I'd probably peel though).

At the Turn he may fold 66, ATs-A9s, ATo and KQs (assume AK-AQ calls a c/r), wich is 25,7% of his range. So if he 2-barrels a lot and fold these hands I like it (we need to fold him less than 15% of the time).

And as Burnsabre said, if you are called hit it, please.

Spy Dog 11-28-2007 08:44 AM

Fold flop. If your openraise came from a steal position then peeling is OK.

I'd just check-call the turn. That should be a message to him that you are calling down on this board. This means that you will sometimes get a free showdown when ahead, but will preserve your implied odds when behind since he's unlikely to give you credit for runner-runner.

bobhalford 11-28-2007 09:04 AM

I don't think he's calling down with AT/AQ/AK unless you are pulling this kind of s$*t regularly, in which case he will look you up. I think that with this board, he probably doesn't have much other than a better ace high. Doubtful that he will 3-bet with AJ, and you have 9 outs versus that hand.

What is your plan for the river? What if it's an ace?

efficacy 11-28-2007 09:26 AM

[ QUOTE ]
What is your plan for the river? What if it's an ace?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm following through on most rivers... maybe c/f a K or Q.

If the river is an ace I bet and puke / call if raised. (probably a leak)

In hindsight I don't really like my line because this isn't how I play my strong hands. The only one I can imagine playing like this is 77, and even that one I might attempt to b3b the turn.

efficacy 11-28-2007 09:34 AM

[ QUOTE ]
In hindsight I don't really like my line because this isn't how I play my strong hands. The only one I can imagine playing like this is 77, and even that one I might attempt to b3b the turn.

[/ QUOTE ]

well, if I have a read that villain is tilty / call-downy then I will occasionally play one-pair hands like this.

FlopYouDead 11-28-2007 03:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I was going to ask how you play a J because I'd say you're representing a set and a set only here, where all sorts of combo draws are much more likely.

NinaWilliams 11-28-2007 03:45 PM

Flop is standard. Not a huge fan of the turn however. I feel like whenever he folds, we had the best hand. The problem with your line is that your hand looks exactly like what it is.

Oink 11-28-2007 03:50 PM

c/c flop and c/c turn unless you think he folds AK to a c/r

Folding the flop is silly. You have 3 pair outs almost always and a bdfd add in the times you have 6 pair outs and the occasional free river.

Also note that if a 3, 5 or J turns you get additional chop outs vs AK, AQ, AT.