Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Mid-High Stakes Shorthanded (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=54)
-   -   overplayed two pair? (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=199818)

avidlearner 08-30-2006 02:10 AM

overplayed two pair?

looking at the board afterwards and i have to question if i should have 3bet the turn. however the villians line is gay also.

villian is new to me, but has done the usual bad stuff already. coldcalling raises donking into two aggressors etc...

villian limps UTG (5 handed), folded to me in BB and i check with 8 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]5 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

7 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]8 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]K [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

i bet, he calls

5 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

i bet he raises, i 3bet, he caps, i call

meh?

The Bryce 08-30-2006 04:05 AM

Re: overplayed two pair?

Turn action is fine, but you get an F minus minus for not check-raising the flop.

Michaelson 08-30-2006 07:51 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Turn action is fine, but you get an F minus minus for not check-raising the flop.

[/ QUOTE ]

How come? I don't really see what it achieves?

If you have him beat, you're scaring him away. If you're behind, you're giving him lots of chips. Also, limps UTG to me implies either a monster, or a passive opponent who'll likely check through if he missed.

I bet and assess here.

Not saying I'm right, just wondering what the logic is?

gehrig 08-30-2006 08:04 AM

even passive players bet the flop here when checked to a lot more than they check behind

MrBig30 08-30-2006 10:21 AM

I think this turn is fine. No reason to think he has you beat yet he could easily have AA or AK, KQ, KJ or even less when he raises. A set is much less likely. Once he caps I probably just check/call river though.

I think the flop can be played many ways that are close in EV.

wackjob 08-30-2006 04:47 PM

great play, just dont' fold no matter what you do. there is absolutely nothing wrong with your flop play either. nothing can be worse than letting a guy with a hand like A9 have a free look at the turn.

The Bryce 08-30-2006 04:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
great play, just dont' fold no matter what you do. there is absolutely nothing wrong with your flop play either. nothing can be worse than letting a guy with a hand like A9 have a free look at the turn.

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually, giving up an extra SB in a 2SB pot would be a much bigger travesty.

sublime 08-30-2006 09:00 PM

while i dont think its a big mistake to just bet out, check raising also helps hero avoid folding best hands on the turn. villian is going to play more straighforward once her c/r the flop and when you hold a hand like weak pair weak kicker, opponents playing SF is a good thing.

StupidAcesSigh 08-30-2006 09:23 PM

What's your river plan? I am check calling, c/ring a 5 or 8, check folding a king or or seven.