Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Beginners Questions (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=34)
-   -   Do online tells exist? (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=535244)

supermangina 10-31-2007 09:43 AM

Do online tells exist?

Tells are a big part of live play, but I'm finding it difficult to pick up any when I'm playing online. Does anyone have a strategy or method for this when playing online?

Rek 10-31-2007 09:48 AM

Re: Do online tells exist?

Its the eyes that give it away.

There are some subtle things like time to bet etc but these can be very misleading. The real tells are betting patterns more than anything

ledders07 10-31-2007 09:56 AM

[ QUOTE ]
The real tells are betting patterns more than anything

[/ QUOTE ]

e.g. a difference : min raising AA/KK preflop but limping suited cards

ChrisV 10-31-2007 10:48 AM

There are timing tells for sure. Delays don't mean anything because the player could be distracted by another table or whatever. But actions that are close to instant carry information. To make up an example at random, suppose you raise at NL and get called in position. The flop comes T83 rainbow, you bet and the other player instantly calls. He is less likely to hold hands he would need to consider raising with. Hands like 98s, which are definitely calls and definitely not raises, are most likely.

Khaos4k 10-31-2007 10:55 AM

Ya, insta calls usually mean a draw.

JanelleBB7 10-31-2007 12:46 PM

Betting patterns are your only solid TELLS. I have heard people talk about timing a lot but timing really never is a very good tell at all. People will insta with the best of it and insta call with a draw or a bluff, but betting patterns are very good indicators if you KNOW the villian.

Hockey Hands 10-31-2007 01:12 PM

Mostly, there are timing tells and betting pattern tells online. An insta-call can also mean a weak made hand ex; top-pair no kicker. I have found that using PT/PA is great tool for picking up players' betting patterns.

excession 10-31-2007 01:51 PM

Yeh - insta calls usually mean fairly weak hands - either draws or weak made hand like 2nd pair or weak ace on an ace high flop in a raised pot- if the turn misses it's often worth 2 barrelling.

Also a slight pause from a player can often indicate strength - just because people take more time to consider their options with strong holdings rather than marginal hands - you can use this when firing CB's - if I put in a slight pause before firing in a CB at just under a round number (like $9 into a $16 pot of whatever) - the more observant opponets start to smell a big hand a fold more often - the effect can be quite noticeable. Of course a longer delay can mean 101 things but a little pause before acting can be worth looking outfor.

JereLock 10-31-2007 03:19 PM

When multitabling, I there are often delays in between my moves, whether long or very short... and sometimes the move is instant b/c I have another hadn to attend to

I wouldn't give much credit at all to time tells.

sapol 10-31-2007 03:32 PM

I'm one of those who believe in timing tells....some people call they are BS but they work for me