Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Internet Gambling (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=30)
-   -   WPT Online banning Canadian players (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=367569)

Peter666 03-29-2007 11:29 PM

WPT Online banning Canadian players

I've never played at this site, and I don't think many people do, but I believe I signed up way back when. Anyway, I got this disturbing email just a few moments ago:

"Dear Valued Player,

We are sorry to inform you that we will be suspending all accounts registered by players from Canada effective from the 13th April 2007. Due to recent developments in the global Internet gaming environment and following a review of the legalities of online gaming within Canada, we have determined that it is inappropriate for us to continue accepting online wagers from Canada.

We will be suspending all Canadian accounts on 13th April 2007 09:00 EST, we ask that you please withdraw any funds before this date and time. Neteller has also announced that it will cease processing Canadian transactions from 9th April 2007. If you use NETELLER to transact with us you will need to withdraw any remaining funds in your account BEFORE the 9th April 2007.

After the 13th April, you will not be able to login into your account. However, you will be able to initiate a withdrawal of your funds by calling our customer support center at +44 845 408 5508.

We appreciate your patronage and apologize for the inconvenience.

Kind Regards

Customer Service Team
WPT Online

Neteller Members can find more information at http://content.neteller.com/content/...ate_canada.htm

The World Poker Team"

No legal action has been taken against online gambling in Canada, yet these cowards back out because of Neteller.

Shabamabam 03-29-2007 11:34 PM

Re: WPT Online banning Canadian players

I used to play at this site quite often. They always seemed like a mess. I got quite worried when I read the e-mail.

Is there something happening that we're unaware of that might be taken into effect soon regarding the legality of playing online in Canada?

Bobo Fett 03-30-2007 12:01 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I used to play at this site quite often. They always seemed like a mess. I got quite worried when I read the e-mail.

Is there something happening that we're unaware of that might be taken into effect soon regarding the legality of playing online in Canada?

[/ QUOTE ]

Meh...it's possible. but I doubt it.

More likely just some jumpy eWallets, ESPECIALLY Neteller, in light of what happened to them in the US. MyCitadel was based in Vancouver, Neteller had a sizeable presence here, they're probably just being cautious. WPT, small site, following the trend.

cardman 03-30-2007 12:12 AM

I'm getting scared now. It's not like any executive has been arrested upon arrival in Canada, but some companies don't seem to want to take any chances at all. Nothing is for certain anymore that's for sure. Seems like everyone is concentrating on Britain mostly. How many companies can one market support?

Peter666 03-30-2007 12:35 AM

As I mention in the Legislation forum, IF Canada were to make some new Online Gambling legislation, it would most likely go the way of Britain to regulate it and not follow the US model.

It annoys me that some of these companies don't want to take our business based on their false assumptions. Why would they get involved in the Canadian market in the first place? Did they not have lawyers advising them? Idiots. I don't want other poker sites following suit. There is no legitimate reason to (unless they hate Canadians and their money).

silvermark 03-30-2007 01:07 AM

Yeah I really fear something is cooking...

Bobo Fett 03-30-2007 01:18 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Yeah I really fear something is cooking...

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't want to be the guy with his head in the sand, but I don't think anything is imminent. That's not to say nothing could happen, because it certainly could at any time, but I don't think that's what these companies are reacting to. With a minority govenrment in power, I'm pretty sure we'd see any legislation coming. When you require at least one other party to go along with you on anything, it's hard to keep legislation secret, IMO. Unless there's some kind of trigger event, I just can't see anything happening with our current government. Maybe I need to remove my rose-coloured glasses, I don't know. [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]

Nsight7 03-30-2007 02:06 AM

I guess this just means more players joining and playing on the very few sites open to us US players.

Mossberg 03-30-2007 02:20 AM

[censored] ME.

I just told myself yesterday that I wouldn't let myself worry until I saw poker sites pull out. Man I hate living in this uncertainty.

This is thoroughly depressing (though it does look like this site has only backed out because neteller did)

AA Suited 03-30-2007 10:22 AM

What's happening in Canada that everyone's pulling out?