Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Other Other Topics (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   got a job interview... (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=364531)

_TKO_ 03-26-2007 02:46 PM

got a job interview...

I received an email from a company I don't remember applying to. I re-read the job description and it doesn't appear that I am in any way qualified for the position. The job is also local to my university city, a city in which I never planned to stay. There is a very small chance that I will accept any offer that is made.

Is it ethical for me to accept the interview for the main purpose of practicing my interview skills?

punkass 03-26-2007 02:47 PM

Re: got a job interview...

I see no conflict with ethics.

szw 03-26-2007 02:47 PM

who cares just do it. If its ethical or not is something YOU decide, not OOT.

Full-Metall 03-26-2007 02:49 PM

windsurf staff?

absoludicrous 03-26-2007 02:54 PM

I've been contemplating on doing random job interviews with the sole purpose of pulling this Peter Gibbons stunt...

"I don't know, I guess. Listen, I'm gonna go. It's been really nice talking to both of you guys..."

After Bob says this...

"What if - and believe me this is a hypothetical - but what if you were offered some kind of a stock option equity sharing program. Would that do anything for you?"

I'm not sure I could keep a straight face though...

_TKO_ 03-26-2007 02:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
windsurf staff?

[/ QUOTE ]

Weird...

livinitup0 03-26-2007 03:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I received an email from a company I don't remember applying to. I re-read the job description and it doesn't appear that I am in any way qualified for the position. The job is also local to my university city, a city in which I never planned to stay. There is a very small chance that I will accept any offer that is made.

Is it ethical for me to accept the interview for the main purpose of practicing my interview skills?

[/ QUOTE ]

Id have a huge problem with doing this. That company is spending time and resources to interview you. I wouldnt feel right wasting their time and money. If you dont want the job then dont go to the interview. Ive done about 100 interviews and could give you some pointers if you are really desperate.

Richard

solids 03-26-2007 03:22 PM

There's absolutely no problem with this. They likely took your name off of some random college mailing list, so I think it is fair game.

Go for the learning experience. Who knows? You may end up really liking the position and take an offer (or at least have a decent backup plan if all else goes to hell).

einbert 03-26-2007 03:23 PM

I would do it in a heartbeat. I have certainly hit on girls I didn't really like for this exact reason, and it has paid off greatly over time.

mosdef 03-26-2007 03:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Go for the learning experience. Who knows? You may end up really liking the position and take an offer (or at least have a decent backup plan if all else goes to hell).

[/ QUOTE ]

There is an outside possibility of this. One of my (former) co-workers went to a job interview just for the free lunch, but ended up taking the job.