Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Video Games (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=77)
-   -   IGN Top 100 (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=550866)

Jack of Arcades 11-23-2007 12:25 AM

Re: IGN Top 100

You didn't need to upgrade at all to beat 10.

pwnsall 11-23-2007 12:30 AM

I think I've heard this but it doesn't really seem like a positive I dunno, also the puzzles to get the summons were unnecessary because they weren't hard but just tedious and I did one once but like left the room and had to redo it man I hated that. But enough ranting I played them all so I guess I enjoyed them. Also zelda is overrated just because of the water temple level.

Bakes 11-23-2007 12:44 AM

6 > 7 > 8 > 9 > 10

not close imo

Zimmer4141 11-23-2007 01:35 AM

[ QUOTE ]
umm I guess you mean actually flying right? B/c you could unlock the airship and go to places by selecting them or picking the right coordinates (for the secret places).

Story made a lot of sense not sure what your problem is with it.

[/ QUOTE ]

My big problem with the FF10 storyline is that it was for the most part completely linear. What made the stories for 6 and 7 so great was the fact that they had tons of twists, and you never really knew where you had to go next.

JuntMonkey 11-23-2007 01:44 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Day of the Tentacle is a very fun game, but I didn't know it was actually considered good. Anyone else ever play it?

[/ QUOTE ]

I actually just finished it this week for the first time in like 13 years. It wasn't as amazing as I thought it would be (part of that though was that even after 13 years I remembered so much, so there was barely anything fresh or challenging), but I'm not going to complain about it being on the list. I much prefer Maniac Mansion (its prequel) and look back more fondly upon Sierra's adventure games than Lucasarts'.

FF games I probably say 7>4>1>6>8 of the ones I've played. I'm not as big a fan of 6 as most obviously. I feel like I should rate 8 higher; I came to the end of the game totally underpowered and wound up using FAQs to build up and get key items for about 20+ hours, but it was actually really fun doing that. If I had understood how you're really supposed to use the Junctioning system from the beginning it would have been more enjoyable.

I guess I wouldn't be surprised to see Doom in the high single digits - I wouldn't be surprised to see it anywhere between 7 and 60 in fact, no idea how they'll rank it.

JuntMonkey 11-23-2007 01:49 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Also zelda is overrated just because of the water temple level.

[/ QUOTE ]

The Water Temple is awesome. One of my proudest moments in gaming was after I spent hours on it (as did everybody) and resorted to checking every single accessible room at every water level and was still missing a key. I was ready to finally look at a FAQ since at that point I figured there might be a glitch, but I realized there was one last little place I had to look...and sure enough, there it was.

The bandit's camp was also really well done. My favorite level in any game though is Shifting Sand Land in Mario 64.

MuresanForMVP 11-23-2007 05:31 AM

[ QUOTE ]
FF7 is fine where it is - there are an awful lot of games in existence.

I think Goldeneye has been much higher on IGN's past lists. I finished it for the first time just a few weeks ago and it really does not hold up that well. I don't play a lot of FPS's, but from what I've seen, Half-Life 1-2 and Halo 1-2 are all better than Goldeneye, not to mention hybrids like the aforementioned Deus Ex. Even the original Doom is "better" from a historical perspective, and I'm sure it will be on the list.

[/ QUOTE ]

...No. People were just about melting their consoles because they played Goldeneye non-stop. you finished GE a week ago? maybe that's why you dont understand how awesome it is.That game pretty much created multiplayer, it easily destroys both Half-Lifes and both Halos. Goldeneye was utterly amazing. Games are ultimately about fun factor and replayability and that's where Goldeneye owns. I know of plenty of people, right now, that still play Goldeneye on a regular basis. The game is simply a top 10 game of all-time.

kyleb 11-23-2007 07:12 AM

76. Final Fantasy VII

alright this is unacceptable, i am not reading any further

sixfour 11-23-2007 07:47 AM

Recognising Link's Awakening is good. Apart from OoT that is the best Zelda game. Dunno about FF7, never played it and have no interest in doing so, but I've never heard an opinion about it from anyone without either having a huge mancrush on it or saying it's overrated to the point that it sucks. Goldeneye is obv too low. Respect for Mega Man 2, most of those games fly under everyone's radar as there's so many of them, also Wolf3D, the one everyone forgets because of Doom.

skindog 11-23-2007 09:34 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Let me preface my opinions by saying that I'm only 19 and have only been playing video games for 9-10 years, so I don't have as much of a perspective on the history of video games as some others do. However, I feel that *for their time* FF7 and Goldeneye could be considered the best in their genres when they were released. Obviously Halo series, as well as many others have passsed Goldeneye, but that doesn't change how great it was when it was first released.

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly, in 1997 EGM released it's top 100 games of all time. Goldeneye was 25 while FFVII was 21. It is very easy to look back at certain games and see what has been improved on them over the years, but for the time these were two games that really impacted future games. I will probably never play a game as much as I played Goldeneye for as long as I live.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ehhhh. I think these two games are ranked just fine. If they were as hugely impactful on future games as you imply, they would have cracked the top 10 in that 1997 list.

They are great games that made incremental improvements to already existing concepts. The games that are remembered on top lists are the ones that broke ground with new concepts or reinvented old ones. You are probably overestimating these games' importance because it was in your gaming heyday.

Chilltown 11-23-2007 10:30 AM

Yeah Burnout 3, MGS2, and Virtua Fighter 4 placed above Goldeneye...the more I use my common sense the more I realize this list kind of blows.

Case Closed 11-23-2007 02:17 PM

The fanbois talking about how call of duty four should be on this list are really effing dense.

sixfour 11-23-2007 02:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The fanbois talking about how call of duty four should be on this list are really effing dense.

[/ QUOTE ]

Some of the comments are truly terrible to the point of hilarity, and are exactly why those of us at gamefaqs ironically look down on those at ign:

10.Spiderman(PS1)
9.Duke Nuckem 64
8.Duke Nuckem: Time to Kill
7.Star wars Battlefront II
6.Spider-an friend or Foe(PSP)
5.Spiderman the movie(PS2)
4.tar Wars Battlefront: Renegade Squadron
3.Halo
2.Halo 2
1.Halo 3

Fanboy much?

Looking at their previous lists, just got to wonder what'll be third (after they continue their obvious SMB and OoT love-in)

JuntMonkey 11-23-2007 02:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You mean because it isn't even eligible?

JuntMonkey 11-23-2007 02:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
FF7 is fine where it is - there are an awful lot of games in existence.

I think Goldeneye has been much higher on IGN's past lists. I finished it for the first time just a few weeks ago and it really does not hold up that well. I don't play a lot of FPS's, but from what I've seen, Half-Life 1-2 and Halo 1-2 are all better than Goldeneye, not to mention hybrids like the aforementioned Deus Ex. Even the original Doom is "better" from a historical perspective, and I'm sure it will be on the list.

[/ QUOTE ]

...No. People were just about melting their consoles because they played Goldeneye non-stop. you finished GE a week ago? maybe that's why you dont understand how awesome it is.That game pretty much created multiplayer, it easily destroys both Half-Lifes and both Halos. Goldeneye was utterly amazing. Games are ultimately about fun factor and replayability and that's where Goldeneye owns. I know of plenty of people, right now, that still play Goldeneye on a regular basis. The game is simply a top 10 game of all-time.

[/ QUOTE ]

I played it at the time also, plenty of multi-player. I just finished single-player recently, and that gives me more perspective than you, not less. There are at least 5 FPSs that are better so it's impossible for it to be in the top 10.

Chilltown 11-23-2007 05:51 PM

There are at least 50 FPS's better than Doom, doesn't mean it should be left off the list though.
[ QUOTE ]

Looking at their previous lists, just got to wonder what'll be third (after they continue their obvious SMB and OoT love-in)

[/ QUOTE ]
Yeah but SMB and Ocarina deserve 1 and 2 though. Both games were perfect when they came out, both revolutionized gaming, etc. There's really not a whole lot of games that you could argue would be ahead. Maybe...Mario 64. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

sixfour 11-23-2007 06:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Yeah but SMB and Ocarina deserve 1 and 2 though. Both games were perfect when they came out, both revolutionized gaming, etc. There's really not a whole lot of games that you could argue would be ahead. Maybe...Mario 64. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Ocarina yes. But one of their criteria is "how well it stands up over the years", and SMB was rendered obsolete back when they released SMB3, the pinnacle of the genre

chuckleslovakian 11-23-2007 06:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Ocarina yes. But one of their criteria is "how well it stands up over the years", and SMB was rendered obsolete back when they released SMB3, the pinnacle of the genre

[/ QUOTE ]
And Ocarina has been rendered obsolete by other games as well. But Super Mario Bros and Ocarina are both fun to play today. Doom on the other hand is practically unplayable by how far FPSs have come.

Also what is the deal with people saying Ocarina revolutionized gaming? I could name dozens of games that had a bigger impact than Ocarina.

Case Closed 11-23-2007 06:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You mean because it isn't even eligible?

[/ QUOTE ]
That's and I agree with IGN not including recent games when doing a top 100 all time list. Replay factor is so important when determining a list like this. These are the type of people who's number one game of all time would change every single year to whichever game is hot right at that moment.

jah7_fsu1 11-23-2007 07:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Also what is the deal with people saying Ocarina revolutionized gaming? I could name dozens of games that had a bigger impact than Ocarina.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd like to see that list...probably the first really huge 3D world in videogames. Took one of the most beloved series of all-time perfectly into 3D, (which at the time was a big concern of fans) the Z targeting locking the camera onto enemies so you didn't have to struggle to stay on them. Mario 64 was probably more revolutionary, but OOT took everything it did and innovated to make it a perfect experience.

JMa 11-23-2007 07:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

smb isnt obsolete imo, it is much more fast paced than smb3

chuckleslovakian 11-23-2007 08:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd like to see that list...probably the first really huge 3D world in videogames. Took one of the most beloved series of all-time perfectly into 3D, (which at the time was a big concern of fans) the Z targeting locking the camera onto enemies so you didn't have to struggle to stay on them. Mario 64 was probably more revolutionary, but OOT took everything it did and innovated to make it a perfect experience.

[/ QUOTE ]
I'm not arguing it is a perfect experience, but the only really innovation there is Z targeting...

Chilltown 11-23-2007 08:47 PM

The original SMB hold up decently well. Its true that Mario 3 is indisputably superior but SMB to me at least is more challenging and differs enough from 3 to be its own game. Give Nintendo credit. Mario 1>3>World all feel completely different but its just Mario going from point A to point B.

And Ocarina is not obsolete now. Far far from it. The puzzles and dungeons are still spectacular. I still think the Spirit Temple is the most brilliantly designed level in any game ever. The only knock on Ocarina now is the graphics. 3D games from the PSX/N64 era are kind of ugly to look at. I'd rather look at sprites from SNES games because I accept them for what they are. I still think Mario World 2 looks gorgeous.

And as for innovation, it was pretty much the "how to" to all 3D adventure type games alike for years to come. How to make a 3D world, how to design levels, make all these little side quests and mini games, its influence on boss battles is evident. Just Z targeting is kind of a stretch...hell Z targeting alone had a huge influence on other games.

JuntMonkey 11-23-2007 11:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Also what is the deal with people saying Ocarina revolutionized gaming?

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with this to a large extent, and it's why I put Mario 64 ahead of Ocarina. Mario 64 was an almost 100% new and unique experience that had never been done before - and you can count the 3D platformers that have come close since then on literally one hand.

Ocarina was Link to the Past in 3D.

Zutroy 11-24-2007 12:39 AM

I don't think OOT was all that revolutionary but, at least in my opinion, it was almost the perfect game. Every detail seemed to have been thought through. The story was engaging, well-paced and didn't really drag. The gameplay was great with just enough variety to keep it interesting and fresh without deviating from the premise too much and going of on weird tangents. The characters were fun and memorable and the music was ridiculous. In my mind it was pretty much flaw-less and had a ton of replay value, which is impressive for a single-player game of that type.

goofyballer 11-24-2007 01:19 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Yeah but SMB and Ocarina deserve 1 and 2 though. Both games were perfect when they came out

[/ QUOTE ]

Then how is Doom not #3? There are a million FPSes better than Doom, sure, but you seem to have different criteria for what FPS games should be on the list than you do for platformers or RPGs?

Doom's held up great over time. I still play it occasionally.

bazooka87 11-24-2007 02:09 AM

wtf is Burnout 3 doing on the list

JuntMonkey 11-24-2007 02:12 AM

[ QUOTE ]
wtf is Burnout 3 doing on the list

[/ QUOTE ]

I've seen it on other lists too so it probably isn't an off-the-wall choice.

Zimmer4141 11-24-2007 11:50 AM

Hopefully the last comment I have to make about FF7, but LOL at having FF2 20 places ahead of FF7. If FF6 (3 for SNES) is not on this list above FF2 it will be a traveshamockery.

MuresanForMVP 11-24-2007 02:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Also what is the deal with people saying Ocarina revolutionized gaming?

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with this to a large extent, and it's why I put Mario 64 ahead of Ocarina. Mario 64 was an almost 100% new and unique experience that had never been done before - and you can count the 3D platformers that have come close since then on literally one hand.

Ocarina was Link to the Past in 3D.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why don't we just call this list the "100 Most Revolutionary" or the "100 most unique" because that seems to be what everyone is talking about here. "Nah man, that game may have been more awesome but it wasn't as revolutionary , man." fwiw, in my mind OOT should clearly be above SMB64, [censored] revolutionary, if it's flat out the better game then how can you justify putting it lower?

blackize 11-24-2007 06:12 PM

Mario 64 should be like number 99. It was a great game when it came out and was revolutionary, but it's borderline unplayable now because of the camera angles.

Zimmer4141 11-24-2007 07:47 PM

Those of us who talk about how revolutionary a game is are simply trying to consider a game in its time when it came out. Obviously games are going to get better over time as more improvements are made to graphics, physics engines, camera angles, etc... However, we're giving bonus points if a game was the first of its kind to include something, like Goldeneye being the first to include that type of multiplayer for a FPS. If the game is flat out the best 100 games, then it should be mostly recent games because improvements are constantly being made, but some of us are trying to recognize which games we loved playing the most, and those are older games for some of us.

Vedast 11-24-2007 07:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
76. Final Fantasy VII

alright this is unacceptable, i am not reading any further

[/ QUOTE ]

QFT

goofyballer 11-24-2007 10:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
like Goldeneye being the first to include that type of multiplayer for a FPS on a console

[/ QUOTE ]

Doom came out in 1993 and had multiplayer. Quake came out in 1996 and allowed the development of 27 different kinds of mods which extended multiplayer gameplay way farther than anything Goldeneye did.

Chilltown 11-24-2007 11:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Those of us who talk about how revolutionary a game is are simply trying to consider a game in its time when it came out. Obviously games are going to get better over time as more improvements are made to graphics, physics engines, camera angles, etc... However, we're giving bonus points if a game was the first of its kind to include something, like Goldeneye being the first to include that type of multiplayer for a FPS. If the game is flat out the best 100 games, then it should be mostly recent games because improvements are constantly being made, but some of us are trying to recognize which games we loved playing the most, and those are older games for some of us.

[/ QUOTE ]
Have to consider appeal too. Not everyone can be interested in the countless FPS games out there today, RPG's, these incredibly detailed strategy games, etc. A game like the original Mario Bros is practically a universe language.

JackWilson 11-25-2007 06:09 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
like Goldeneye being the first to include that type of multiplayer for a FPS on a console

[/ QUOTE ]

Doom came out in 1993 and had multiplayer. Quake came out in 1996 and allowed the development of 27 different kinds of mods which extended multiplayer gameplay way farther than anything Goldeneye did.

[/ QUOTE ]

PC FPSes don't get enough respect, eh. Goldeneye and Halo really aren't that incredible (esp Halo), coming from a gamer with a long history of PC FPS. I wouldn't rate Halo more than an 8/10 at best. Most console mags give it a 10, most citing the multiplayer as the main reason.

Case Closed 11-26-2007 12:58 PM

I have a feeling that they are going to end up with Super Mario World 2 above SMW 1. Which is really odd IMO.

Zimmer4141 11-26-2007 01:58 PM

50-40: No major gripes here, I think God of War might be a little high, I wasn't that impressed by the game. I know I'm a huge Guitar Hero Fan, but I think GH2 might be a little low on the list given its widespread appeal.

JuntMonkey 11-26-2007 03:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I have a feeling that they are going to end up with Super Mario World 2 above SMW 1. Which is really odd IMO.

[/ QUOTE ]

Nah I think SMW1 will be on there.

BrookTrout 11-26-2007 03:40 PM

Neat list - hopefully 7 Cities of Gold, Zork & MULE show up in the top twenty... Wonder if they'll put in Spy Hunter - loved that game in the arcade.