Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Other Other Topics (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   I don't understand buying movies on ITunes (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=443696)

DrewDevil 07-05-2007 02:44 PM

I don\'t understand buying movies on ITunes

Disclaimer: I used to have an Ipod, but it died and I haven't replaced it. The one I had didn't have video capability.

Disclaimer #2: I know this post makes it clear I am an old, non-hip doofus who doesn't know anything. I can accept that.

When you buy a movie from Itunes, do you then watch it on that screen the size of a postage stamp?

Or do you watch it on your computer?

Is there any way to get it to play on your TV?

If not, why are people buying movies to watch on a teeny tiny screen? I don't get it.

mason55 07-05-2007 02:46 PM

Re: I don\'t understand buying movies on ITunes

you can watch on your computer monitor. with the quality of monitor today many people only have that and no tv.

you can hook up your computer to a tv, it's super easy, many people do this

eviljeff 07-05-2007 02:49 PM

I'd say watching a movie on my ipod is about equivalent to watching one on an economy-class personal airplane screen

ElliotR 07-05-2007 02:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

See here.

kerowo 07-05-2007 02:55 PM

I think they were getting people used to buying video from them. When it started you could watch on a vid iPod or your desktop but the resolution wasn't very high.

Now in addition you can watch them on your iPhone or on your TV via Apple TV. The resolution is still low, but they look great on the iPhone. And the iPhone is much easier to haul around than a laptop.

DrewDevil 07-05-2007 03:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

See here.

[/ QUOTE ]

Another $400! Why not just buy the DVD?

NajdorfDefense 07-05-2007 03:06 PM

Yeah, 'cos so many people have Apple TV. Just like the Lisa and Newton. And eBook. [or is that ibook?]

kerowo 07-05-2007 03:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Yeah, 'cos so many people have Apple TV. Just like the Lisa and Newton. And eBook. [or is that ibook?]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not sure I get your point. The popularity of the Apple TV doesn't have anything to do with iTunes selling video. Apples's goal is probably to have movies on iTunes eventually drive Apple TV sales, like the songs on iTunes drive iPod sales.

revots33 07-05-2007 03:24 PM

I downloaded a couple of movies/tv shows for my Ipod specifically for portable use (mainly on airplanes).

But I agree that for home use it makes much more sense to just watch a DVD. Better picture quality, easy to use, almost as cheap, etc. Why stream low-res movies to your tv screen via AppleTV when you can buy an HD-DVD player for about the same or less?

turnipmonster 07-05-2007 04:21 PM

lol appletv is the dumbest thing they've done in years.