Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Small Stakes Shorthanded (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   AA waits till turn (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=551440)

acehole60 11-21-2007 01:16 PM

AA waits till turn

UTG+1 is very bad. Sometimes with spastic aggression and sometimes he's passive. He could almost have ATC here.
BB is a 35/20/2. I havent seen him do anything stupid but he doesnt seem that good.
What do you guys think of this line?

Absolute Poker
Limit Holdem Ring game
Limit: $5/$10
6 players
Converter

Pre-flop: (6 players) HERO is Button with A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
UTG folds, UTG+1 calls, CO folds, <font color="#cc0000">HERO raises</font>, SB folds, BB calls, UTG+1 calls.

Flop: 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (6.6SB, 3 players)
<font color="#cc0000">BB bets</font>, UTG+1 calls, HERO calls plannning on raising a non spade, non 4/5, turn.

Tryptamean 11-21-2007 01:37 PM

Re: AA waits till turn

I wouldnt trust these guys to bet the turn. Many cards can come to freeze them or you up. If this was a drier flop with one or two broadway cards, I'd like your plan better. As it is, you are pratically guaranteed 2 more SBs if you raise now.

numbnuts007 11-21-2007 02:10 PM

yeah, I raise while I can. Having utg+1 trapped here is great. utg may not bet the turn and if he does utg+1 may fold. Not to mention that if turn is a spade (which it will be 20% of the time) then you're just calling all the way to the river with a great hand.

I feel like some kind of cliche is appropriate here, like: "a fish in the hand is worth two in the river," or maybe "raise ye pots while ye may."

numbnuts007 11-21-2007 02:12 PM

damn it. that was my addict post. I can't believe I couldn't come up with anything better for my freaking 400th post. Those weren't even good cliches.

Gurravasa 11-21-2007 03:04 PM

think about what BB would donk and act accordingly. I wouldn't be to happy about my hand here against a decent player. Twopair, straight, SD, FD and sets is in his range. If I raise it's because I hope BB reraises and pushes UTG+1 out of the pot. But I would just call flop and reevaluate turn. I don't think I'll raise anywhere in this hand if the board doesn't pair or if I hit a set.

ILOVEPOKER929 11-21-2007 03:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
think about what BB would donk and act accordingly. I wouldn't be to happy about my hand here against a decent player. Twopair, straight, SD, FD and sets is in his range. If I raise it's because I hope BB reraises and pushes UTG+1 out of the pot. But I would just call flop and reevaluate turn. I don't think I'll raise anywhere in this hand if the board doesn't pair or if I hit a set.

[/ QUOTE ]

Running bad? [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

numbnuts007 11-21-2007 03:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

wow, really? do others agree with this?

Burnsabre 11-21-2007 03:29 PM

raise now, this is some smallish pair/draw alot that will freeze up to about half the deck on the turn.

thepizzlefosho 11-21-2007 03:54 PM

I'm raising the flop because there are a lot of cards that drop on the turn that make me not as happy with my hand/ not want to be calling turn 3-bets. Plus they probably have crap and I have no problem with fast playing flops with the best hand.

acehole60 11-21-2007 03:57 PM

You make good points and my default is definitely to raise the flop. But my reasoning was like this: I expect BB to bet again on a lot of turn cards. Maybe not a spade 4 or 5 unless he hit a draw. I'm not worried about UTG+1. BB's range is a lot of one pair hands, straight draws (including gutshots) and flush draws - of course there's sets and two pair as well (I discount these a bit because he didn't go for the CR on the drawy board to force out UTG+1).
Against this range my equity changes dramatically on the turn, so when a non scare card falls (almost every scare card for my opponent is a scare card for me too) and BB leads out I get to raise two players with the improved equity. If a scare card hits and he still bets I can call down now that my equity is even lower still.

I think this is a reasonable thought process but is my logic flawed anywhere? Or is it just better to get the bets in now?