Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Sporting Events (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=48)
-   -   Official argue about all dumb things BCS and CFB playoff thread (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=553857)

tshort 11-30-2007 08:45 AM

Re: Poll: best way to determine NCAA Div I Football National Champion?

[ QUOTE ]
As for NCAA basketball tourney, it depends on what the goal is.

If the goal is to crown the true/best champion, I would limit it to the top 16 teams at the end of the year.

The problem is that there are 330+ division I-A basketball schools and tons of conferences and the big tournament gives them all at least entrant.

It also makes the tournament go longer and produce more revenue and excitement.

Variance = excitement, but doesn't necessarily produce the best champion of course.

[/ QUOTE ]

There are of course ways to give the the top 16 teams an edge while including a shot for 64 teams.

Victor 11-30-2007 08:57 AM

the field and weather conditions for the osu-mich game contributed greatly to the lack of offense. i dont think its fair to say they didnt look impressive. they played great.

TomCollins 11-30-2007 10:24 AM

[ QUOTE ]
the field and weather conditions for the osu-mich game contributed greatly to the lack of offense. i dont think its fair to say they didnt look impressive. they played great.

[/ QUOTE ]

Also consider the fact that the goal of a game is to win, not to score a ton of points. When you have a lead that you believe you can hold, its a lot of times better to just run the ball safely than have a QB like Boeckman throw it, who might hit 5 TDs or 5 INTs if you do so. Ohio State completely dominated Michigan in that game.

bottomset 11-30-2007 10:41 AM

get margin of victory back in the BCS computers plz

ClarkNasty 11-30-2007 12:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Variance = excitement, but doesn't necessarily produce the best champion of course.

[/ QUOTE ]

The NCAA tournament has done a pretty good job. There aren't many undeserving champions in recent years.

Blue Celery 12-01-2007 10:29 PM

Hypothetically...

Let's say WVA & Mizzou both win tonight. And let's say Pat White's injury is a little worse than advertised, ending his season.

Would it be horrible if the voters pushed tOSU in front of WVa for the title game?

Think Oregon. A couple of weeks ago, the Ducks were thought to be a top 2 team. Dixon gets hurt, and everything unravels.

Thoughts?

ClarkNasty 12-01-2007 10:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Hypothetically...

Let's say WVA & Mizzou both win tonight. And let's say Pat White's injury is a little worse than advertised, ending his season.

Would it be horrible if the voters pushed tOSU in front of WVa for the title game?

Think Oregon. A couple of weeks ago, the Ducks were thought to be a top 2 team. Dixon gets hurt, and everything unravels.

Thoughts?

[/ QUOTE ]

I think it's already a legit debate.

pvn 12-02-2007 12:53 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I don't care much about college football. What outcomes should I be rooting for next weekend if my desire is whatever creates the most whining?

[/ QUOTE ]

OU beats Mizzou, Pitt beats WVA. That would put tOSU and UGA in the BCS championship, which would cause approximately four million people to shoot themselves in the head.

[/ QUOTE ]

Bump. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Troll_Inc 12-02-2007 12:58 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I don't care much about college football. What outcomes should I be rooting for next weekend if my desire is whatever creates the most whining?

[/ QUOTE ]

OU beats Mizzou, Pitt beats WVA. That would put tOSU and UGA in the BCS championship, which would cause approximately four million people to shoot themselves in the head.

[/ QUOTE ]

Bump. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

As long as most of them are from The South, then I'm OK with that.